“Comfortable Stay”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #41 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I was here for one night for business, room was comfortable and clean with a nice sized bathroom and nice shower, bed was very comfortable and I slept well, no issue with noise...be mindful to ask for a room that does not have an adjoining door, as my employer had an issue with noise because of this. The staff went above and beyond, even helping me with a personal errand. The hotels this particular week were $320+, I think because of the week, but I dont have anything to compare to since this was my first time in Washington DC. Close to major sites, probably could have walked but took a cab because I was short on time. No problems using the Internet in the room, but had to have the staff print items for me, don't think they had a full service business center. Lots of options to eat closeby, checkout the Bread and Chocolate bakery for breakfast, lunch - delicious food. Would stay here again no doubt.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.

Reviewed 23 May 2009

I stay at the Westin Grand every year in conjunction with my school's senior prom. As a high school administrator I have been hosting the prom at this hotel for the past 7 years. The service is consistently excellent and and I continue to be pleased.

I stayed at the Westin for one night on May 21. I booked my king size room through the website and got an excellent rate of $139/ night. The view was facing the inside courtyard and the pool. The bed is one of the most comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious. Toilet, tub and shower are all separate. The room also had a vanity area with chair outside the bathroom.

All of the staff, from the catering manger, to the valet, bell hop and front desk staff are always pleasant, courteous and helpful. I always arrive earlier than check in time with a ton of stuff! Boxes of decorations, red carpets, elaborate backdrops, helium tanks, whatever it is, they are more than willing to help me unload and get situated. Check it always efficient and swift. I had my room key and was on my way up in less than 5 minutes!

The catering manager and banquet staff always take very good care of us. This year we held the prom in the Washington Ballroom. In previous years we have also used the Promedane. Both spaces are lovely and unique. The Washington Ballroom is circular beautiful lighting and the Promenade is gorgeous with a grand staircase, hardwood floors, and floor to ceiling windows and doors that lead out to the courtyard and fountain. We alternate spaces based on the theme each year. Set up is was a breeze. They had the dance floor down, tables set, and decor up well in advance for me to inspect and approve. The food is always delicious and service throughout the night was excellent. The children had a magical evening that they will never forget.

There are not many hotels in Georgetown that would open it's doors to teenagers from an inner-city high school to have a party. This is primarily a business hotel, but year after year they continue to open their doors to us and give us excellent service at a very fair rate. After the madness of the prom has ended, I look forward to climbing to that heavenly bed and getting some much needed sleep. The Westin Grand is beautiful hotel to host any event and the service is excellent. I hope to continue to do business with them for many more years.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed here for spring break - just me and the kids (husband had to stay home). We used SPG points, and sprung for the upgraded room which I think they called a mini-suite. I'm glad we did - we had 2 double beds, a loveseat, and two chairs. The room was on the corner with windows facing the courtyard. It was a very nice-sized room. The bathroom had separate shower & tub. There was a safe in the closet large enough for my 17" laptop - many hotel safes are too small for my laptop.

The room was very clean, all linens were in good shape. Housekeeping did a nice job.

Service was great. We ordered room service breakfast twice, which was delivered on time with all items, and the servers were very friendly. We also ordered room service dessert one night, which was a treat! The doormen were helpful and friendly. We did not try the restaurants.

The location is both good and bad. The good thing is it's a safe neighborhood, about 3-4 blocks to the metro (Washington Circle), 3-4 blocks to the start of Georgetown. The bad thing is it's not on the tourist route, and not a very busy neighborhood in the evening. We had quite a bit of rain and the kids were good about walking to the metro - but we opted for taxis a few times. So... it's not the most convenient neighborhood but also safe and clean.

A few recommendations -

Across 24th St, there is Uptown Cafe. This place was open breakfast through dinner. They had a nice salad bar that had a lot of fruit, breakfast foods, sandwiches, and desserts. I wish we had found it earlier - great spot for a breakfast before going to the Metro.

There is a Trader Joe's on 24th or 25th, near L St. You can buy food, wine, and beer there.

There is a CVS on 23rd St, near L.

In Georgetown, Le Pain Quotidien has great breakfasts and lunches.

Zed's Ethiopian is in Georgetown, close to the hotel, if you are in the mood for something unusual (my kids were not!).

We had dinner one night at Juniper, which is across the street in the Fairmont. They have a kids' menu. It was rather empty - easy to get a table - food was good, service was good. With the kids' menu the overall price was reasonable for a very nice meal.

Taxis are not that expensive to the White House ($7-10, depending on number of passengers).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JoKnits
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Went during spring break with my family on SPG points. Staff not very friendly, and front desk never smiled or was really helpful (except doormen were nice). Requested king w/rollaway, and were placed in a TINY room...no way a rollaway could fit. I requested a larger room, and after was teased by the housekeeping supervisor that a much larger corner room was available on the floor, moved to a regular room on the west side of the building. It was small, but mammoth compared to the first room. Reviews are right about the minibar, but one fact is that beer is cheaper there (if you don't mind cans) than a bottle plus tip at the dark and quiet bar downstairs. There is a liquor/beer store about 2 blks away, just north of CVS in a market/grocery. I was not aware of it until near the end of the stay. Only challenge for vacationers and kids is that it is about 2.5 blocks away from the Circulator bus route, which is perfect to see DC cheaply and get to the sites. Surprisingly, limited restaurants in the area unfortunately. To do it again, I might have stayed at the Washington DC Westin downtown, even though reviews say few restaurants, I found most the eateries to be on that side of town, and very very close to public transportation. To do it again w/kids, I'd pick the Embassy Suites (one of the 2) for lots of reasons...including space and location. Also, BEWARE...pool is outdoors even though the pictures appear it's inside (much of the reason we picked this hotel was the indoor pool).

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2009

First of all, the location of the Westin Grand is perfect. Four blocks from the metro, a few more blocks to Dupont and Georgetown, and in one of the best parts of town, the Westin Grand really has a fabulous location.

The rooms are roomy and have just been renovated. As always, the Heavenly Bed is luxurious and the new flat-screen televisions are a good touch. One of the best parts is the bathroom - a large soaking tub and glass shower with a separate WC add the sparkle to this hotel.

A few things to note. Our bags were unloaded from the car for us and taken up to our room for us as well. Parking is expensive, about $25 a night, but what do you expect from a downtown DC hotel?! While we arrived after 3pm check-in, our room was not ready. This was a small pain, but the staff handled it professionally and were apologetic. They offered a room on a lower floor but I insisted upon the top floor - something you should to do because the top floor has floor-to-ceiling windows! I did not try either room service or the restaurant mainly because they were expensive and there are plenty of better choices around the hotel. Internet is an extra fee, but I just used the business center to check email occasionally for free. I would highly recommend taking that route if you can. Also, I requested a fridge, which the hotel promptly brought up to my room for no extra charge.

The room was quiet and housekeeping did a very good job keeping it spotless. I was very impressed with the entire stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights in March 09 (thanks Priceline!).

The rooms are nice, well-decorated and clean, with the ubiquitous "Heavenly Bed", which is just fabulous.

The location is good, just a few blocks from Georgetown, which is loverly to stroll around, and a 10 minute walk to the metro, which connects you to anywhere else you want to go.

The thing about the Westin is, like any other hotels in it's group, that it's just a little too formal and bordering on bland. This may be just because we had come from a boutique-type hotel in New York that had plenty of character, but it just feels a bit "starchy".

The staff, especially the door staff and bell-hops, were really helpful, but the staff at reception felt like robots on occasions.

Overall, nice hotel in a good location, but neds a bit of personality.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Lovely rooms, albeit rather compact. Good quality furniture, bedding and contemporary decor. Bathrooms are excellent and a very good size - i loved the big bath and it filled up in no time! we walked everywhere and if that is your prefered mode of transport then the westin is ideal... 20/30 minutes ish to mall. Starbucks coffee in room. If your a leisure visitor, and prefer more than basic accomodation it warrants the extra money per night. Well equipped hotel gym and pool area looked nice although was shut as it was february! we would definately stay at the westin again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple