“horrendous lack of customer service”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #40 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“horrendous lack of customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

Let me start by saying that I have traveled +100 days a year for the past 20 years all over the world so I know a little about what I am writing about. I've also never been so steamed to write a review before so you are now prepared...
The Westin Grand does not deserve to be a westin. When I booked a room for a saturday night in July while college touring with my teenage daughter I noticed it said "run of the house" as room type so i called westin 1 to ensure they knew I needed a room with two beds. Sadly, when I arrived at the Westin (through a grotty basement parking lot evelator) the reception desk informed me that no rooms with two beds were available. When I pointed out that I had called over a week in advance with this simple request , I was told it was never passed on by WESTIN 1 to the hote??? (what's the point of calling then?). They then offered me a room with a cot. When I then requested the manager on duty , i got nowhere...actually, i got an offer of a cot again - nothing more.
In all my years of traveling I have never had a hotel make less effort to meet a simple request.
Overall, this is the worst Westin I have ever stayed in, and I've been to dozens. The pool is pathetically small, the rooms are poorly insulated for noise and the staff... well, when I called to speak to the general manager after getting nowhere with the duty manager, I got a recording saying he/she was off for the weekend and that I should speak to the duty manager... How's that for care, attention & personalized service? For all you folks that raved about the front desk staff on prior reviews, obviously they either do not work there anymore or were all on vacation.
For the rest of you travelers, DC has plenty of great hotels, this just isn't even close to being one of them. You have been warned...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
D_Centofanti, Director of Operations at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this review, 28 July 2010
I am so sorry about your stay with us. That is not at all what we want our guests to experience during their visit to the Westin Grand. I would like to discuss further so we may improve, please call me direct 202-955-4437 at your convenience. Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you.

DeeAnn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

This property has an excellent staff, great accomodations and wonderful location for business and leisure travellers going to Washington DC. Even with new construction, our stay was memorable...my children asked if we could move to the hotel. :-)

Special thanks to Jerome who always saw fit that our every need was met, to Zigi in the Cafe who took special care of our children (offering childrens items that weren't on the menu) and to the bell staff that were respectful when ever we left or arrived back at the hotel. They even gave us great instruction on how to walk to Georgetown for ice cream.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Went there on 4th of July. Overall, I should say, probably the best hotel I've been staying in so far. Great room, nice, clean and modern. Unfortunately, we've been distructed a bit by our drunk teenagers neighbors, but at least the hotel management took care of us and offer the free parking next day.

• Stayed July 2010
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed at the Westin on our D.C. vacation. The hotel is very clean and well decorated. The staff were beyond courteous (I would run in the morning, and the bell man was nice enough to have a towel AND ice cold bottled water waiting for me). The hotel is nicely situated about a half a mile from the Metro subway, and a 1-2 miles from Lincolm Memorial. The Westin is in a safe neighborhood (we were walking at 1a in the morning with kids with no worries). The next time I am in D.C., I will definitely be staying at this hotel.

1 Thank NCNM1976
Lottsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The room was neat and well appointed and the staff was courteous and friendly. Mr. Ahmad Bell, the bellman, was particularly helpful. We wish him and The Westin future success

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

The Grand Westin were very accommodating to changes to travel plans, room requirements and getting calls in the middle of the night (by overseas traveller getting the time difference wrong). No problem was too big. The room was exceptional, the bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me. The staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Great hotel in a very cute area of D.C. Walking distance to Georgetown and Dupont Circle. A little far from the monuments and such but on a nice (read: not sweltering) day, it's still walkable. The Foggy Bottom metro station is near by, and there are always cabs waiting for the staff to hail them for you outside the hotel.

Speaking of the staff, they were great! Everyone was very friendly and helpful, especially the outdoor valet team. It was super hot when we were leaving, and they sent us on our way with ice cold bottled water. We were very appreciative! Our only staff-related complaints are with the maid service. It was very erratic...the first day they came at 11AM before we had left for the day, so they slipped a note under the door saying they were there and if we wanted maid service we would have to call and request it. Odd system, but we called and it was done no problem. The second day however, maid service didn't even come by until 4PM! And the woman did not even knock before entering.

Rooms are nice with large bathrooms and comfy beds. The hotel has a pool, but it's very small with limited seating. It's also not heated and was shockingly cold even though the temperature outside was about 90 degrees. The fitness center looked really nice although we didn't utilize it. We had a drink at the restaurant Dusk which was enjoyable. A good place to start or end a night out. We didn't try the food however.

Overall we definitely enjoyed our stay here at the Westin Grand and we're glad we chose it instead of the W which we were originally considering.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
D_Centofanti, Director of Operations at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this review, 12 July 2010
We are happy to hear you had a good stay at Westin Grand. Our apologies for the interuptions with our housekeeping service. It is usually customary to deliver a card requesting a reply for service when there is a Do Not Disturb sign placed on the door. It seems there was some confusion, again our sincere apologies. We look forward to you coming back to visit and thank you for your feedback.
Stay well,