“Hotel has a stench -- would stay elsewhere next time!”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #36 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2011

First two rooms had a pronounced musty/mildew smell -- sort of a shower curtain funk combined with an old library book that hadn't been opened for years smell. The third room was better but still not great. Based upon some reviews here on trip advisor, as well as the fact that another guest was complaining of the same thing while we were at the front desk, it seems inconceivable that management had not been aware of this as an issue for quite some time. Front desk was accommodating in moving us, but by then (two hours and three rooms later), our opinion about this hotel was pretty much formed -- would not recommend and will not be back.

Of note, upon initial complaint, we were told (as was the other guest) to turn on the a/c for am hour to circulate the air. We did this for two hours, which apart from being unhelpful, also didn't seem to be a reasonable expectation for a guest to have to 'air out' a supposedly 'four star' hotel room upon arrival.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank bkbl05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,944)

Reviewed 18 February 2011

I booked this with Priceline and payed $105 a night. I cant find one complaint really the Internet costs are a bit high but its a tiny issue.

Staff excellent from the doorman to the concierge guy.

I wont get into detail just back up all the other reviews really.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Lots of hotels have great rooms and facilities. The Westin Grand (I see they are now the Westin Georgetown) has these. What many hotel do not have are people with the warmth, attention and sense of humor that keep you going back again and again even when other locations are cheaper or more convenient. They don't all have Kwame's and Yarnell's.
I'll admit to checking out other Starwoods and Marriott properties in the D.C. area but I've yet to stay in any more than once because despite an occasionally better view (W Washington D.C.) or more convenient location (Westin City Center) they don't have someone who makes you feel ok about asking for a 7am wake up call when you checked in 5am or who offers to make sure you don't end up with tickets or who goes the extra mile to help you correct a typo replicated in 30 docs 10 minutes before you distribute them to a roomful of partners.
They don't have a Kwame or a Yarnell.
Ohhh, and as far as D.C. hotels go, the standard rooms are HUGE!!! You'll definitely look like you're splurging when you take that special someone out on the town.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Typically, I travel with family, but this time I was with a friend as she was being honored with an award. I had my own room and had never been to Washington DC, so the entire trip was different from any I had taken before. This hotel was truly the total package - amazing rooms, clean, delicious food, unbelievable beds, and accomodating and friendly staff (especially Amadu). Their recommendations for local dining and shopping were spot -on and although I was in DC on business, I went home feeling like I had been on a restful vacation. I would definitely return to The Westin.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I stayed here three nights in February 2011. I hadn't been to DC in 20 years and needed recommendations - from running routes, restaurants, and directions to the White House, to movie theaters and help printing a boarding pass. The doorman Haile, was much more than helpful. He sought me out to find ways to help. He gave me advice on all of the above, and steered me clear of tourist traps that are overpriced and over-rated. And when he saw me returning from a run, he not only got the door for me, but chased me down to the elevator so he could give me a towel and a sports drink. Haile really went beyond the fundamentals of his job. The Grand is a nice hotel with great service. Thanks Haile!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Latest stay was in February 2011, but have stayed at this hotel many previous times. Hotel staff is extremely courteous and accommodating. Front door staff, especially Amadou and Deenny, outstanding with welcome and luggage handling.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2011

There has been a good chunk of time between my previous review of this hotel and this current one and there have been renovations in that time to the hotel. The grand entryway is quite stunning when you pull up to the hotel entrance and the smiling doorman is like the cherry on top. We were warmly greeted by the front desk and given our room keys to a king studio suite. This lovely room with its corner windows overlooking the courtyard is quite spacious! The seating area has a large couch, table and two armchairs with a flat screen tv on the wall above. Our king size bed with its heavenly linens was definitely comfortable and dare I say "heavenly." The suite bathroom is quite large as well with a separate area for shower, tub and toilet. The double shower head in the shower is an interesting feature and the white tea bath amenities smell delicious! One night we took advantage of room service and were pleasantly surprised with a super quick delivery and gracious service. (the pizza is super yummy!) Even though our stay was short I felt as though our hotel room was a home away from home when returning from the outside world. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for great service and comfort.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple