“Historic Hotel in a great neighborhood”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Historic Hotel in a great neighborhood”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This was my first visit to Washington, DC and found a nice deal on this hotel. The staff were all friendly although not necessarily helpful when it came to tourist questions, they handed me one brochure from a sightseeing company. I was in a king suite which was very spacious and very clean. My only complaint on the room was the size of the bathroom. The Metro station is a half mile downhill from the hotel which is great in the morning; however the walk is a bit much after a long day of sightseeing and standing on your feet all day long. There are many dining establishments between the Metro Station and the hotel that you can stop in. The doorman will help you with a taxi but the one morning I needed one, it was raining and the taxi's were few and far between. I ended up running into a private car driver who helped me out at a significantly increased price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DesignerScout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Overall, the rooms were fine. However, the knowledge of the front desk combined with the VERY this walls, made this hotel not worth revisiting. The value seemed fair, however I would have gladly payed more money for a good nights sleep and a knowledgeable staff. PS, don't pay the overpriced $40 valet. We found free street parking a half block away.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Both times I have stayed here the room has been extremely large. It is an older building but well remodeled with marble and white linens (sort of like a federalist style). It feels as if you are really getting an apartment due to the rooms lay out with hallway/ en suite doors. I think the bathrooms come in various sizes. The first time I stayed it was quite large and this visit it was a cubby. Either way it was pretty standard, functional, and clean

I have very good luck getting last minute rates to the Churchill on 65-70 dollar range. The hotel is in a great location two to three blocks up from Dupont Circle (metro) right across from the Hilton and a quick stroll to Adams Morgan. Perfect if many embassy's or events in the area. The wifi is an additional 10 dollars a day so make sure to calculate that into your cost if you require access.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Franklin County, PA
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I frequently take weekend trips to DC and this was our first stay at The Churchill (we always do priceline bidding; got our room for $85 per night). We didn't love The Churchill, but we really liked it for a few reasons: our room was enormous with a separate, large alcove room for a desk or an additional rollaway, the fridge worked out well, the bed was comfortable, the common areas were pleasant and uncrowded, the bathroom vanity was large for all our stuff, the location just north of dupont circle was ideal. The only major downside for me was the street noise through the hotel windows (while we understand cities are loud, this was different...we've easily stayed in a dozen hotels in the DC and it's never been a big issue). We stayed on the 5th floor facing Connecticut Ave, so for any travelers who are light sleepers, perhaps a room to the rear of the property would be better. Also, the AC/Heat unit is very quiet (unlike many other hotels) so the lack of white noise in the room exaggerated the street noise. The other slight inconvenience was that we had to park at the Courtyard next door because The Churchill's valet lot was full (and we arrived prior to check-in). Any other possible downsides would be the small elevators, the dated decor (it is an old hotel, but you can tell they've made efforts to modernize). Other reviews of this property have cited rude staff and/or problems with billing. We experienced nothing like that. If The Churchill comes up on our next priceline bid, we will be happy to return.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large, but choose something off Connecticut Ave since it is very loud at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is a historic hotel, yet very well maintained and clean.
Beautiful rooms, with the best bed I've ever slept in. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is excellent.
A bus stop is a 2-minute walk away, and the metro is about 20-minutes away on foot, but the walk is always a pleasant one as the hotel is on the beautiful Connecticut Ave.
The parking is really expensive, so either find a nearby neighborhood to park in or forgo the car altogether (DC doesn't really require a car).

Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights. Even if hotel may look charming and historical the stuff wasn't from the era when the good service was important. I booked the hotel thru priceline and I was promised well-lit work desk, iPod docking station, plush terrycloth robes, free bottled water. All we got was out dated room with 2 commodes, cracked sink, loose wallpaper and cracks on the wall next to window. (I do have pics to prove it). When i started to complain, the receptionist Wanda gave me attitude that they haven't got those things and she can't give me things they don't have. I showed my booking and she was still continuing with the attitude, but she promised to "write a report". Well this report didn't help us much during our stay. Next morning when I went to ask (!!!!) our complimentary water bottles the same receptionist seeing me approaching was rolling eyes and said "oh no". I don't think asking what was promised was over reacting and surely I didn't deserve this kind of attitude.

There's 2 super slow elevators and it takes forever to wait for them, you have to pay for internet connection (9.90 for 24h per device), reception and concierge dosn't greet you when you're entering unless u'll do it first. Hope my review will improve the stuff and next customers will get the charm of this old hotel.

2 Thank Ahtitln
Pinnacle, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We Just got back from a 3 night stay at the Churchill Hotel- It was perfectly situated in a very nice area close to anything you could want to see or eat- the staff was awesome, the cleanliness was outstanding, they put us in the Penthouse Suite and it was incredible- I will definately be going back- Everyone was really great- I read some reviews on here before booking and you get all kinds of opinions or experiences, but ours was great! The parking was a little high, but where in DC is it not? The Mariott was maybe a little cheaper daily, but it was much easier to just let the guys downstairs handle it- and it was well worth it.

5 Stars for these guys!

Thanks again from the Sharpe's

Room Tip: We were facing the front- nice view of city
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family