“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #43 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

This hotel is in an upmarket part of Washington, in the Embassy district. Wifi is extra, but rooms are big and comfortable. Staff were excellent.
The hotel is a 10min walk to Dupont Circle on the Metro train line, where you can buy single trip, daily/3day/weekly unlimited travel tickets that let your get around the city quickly & easily once you understand the colour codes for the lines.

Room Tip: We had a stnd dble & were very happy with it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Yorktown
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This historic hotel is just blocks from Dupont Circle. The rooms were moderately large, and the bathroom was quite spacious. This is an old hotel and the tile in the bath floor was worn, but totally serviceable. Bed was comfortable and clean, but this room is not setup particularly well for business travelers (few outlets, no desk).

Big concerns: One of the wing chairs was stained on the seat in an alarming pattern and the upholstery was coming apart on one side. I threw the bed scarf over the chair and didn't sit on anything that wasn't covered by a clean sheet. Of most concern was the toothpaste mark on the shelf over the toilet, and the splatter marks on the walls in the bath. I don't think my expectations are too high when I ask that I not be reminded that others have recently brushed their teeth before me. This lack of attention to detail made the cleanliness of the entire bath suspect.

Big plus: Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and the staff was amazingly nice and hustling to get food to you fast. Quality was very, very good. Onsite valet parking is nice, and $39/day is a bargain in DC.

Room Tip: 516 was next to an alley where some banging occurred at intervals during the night.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank YorktownTraveler411
dalkeith scotland
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I always use Tripadvisor to gauge how good or bad things are. The Churchill had the usual mix,some people liked it or hated it,I always write my reviews on my own personal experiences so this is my review of the Churchill. The walk from Dupont Circle to the hotel average 7 minutes, the last 100 yards reasonably steeper and can be tiring after a long day walking around but the plus is the exercise is good for you. On arriving at the hotel I had requested a smoking room(3rd floor only are for smoking so request ahead of trip), the room was not ready the were cleaning the carpets on this floor.The receptionists were very apologetic offering me coffee or water and there seemed to be a problem with my BA booking.My total waiting time was 20 minutes to book in. I always judge a hotel by its reception desk and so far things were looking good. My room was 330 a corner room it was huge spotless (especially the carpet).The Churchill is a quiet hotel very dark in places especially the lounge which I found restful. Dupont Circle is a good area to stay with many restaurants and bars a mixture of rowdy or quiet.As I said I base my reviews on my experiences so I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room,there was some traffic noise from outside the hotel I was facing the front...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jimboconk
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2012

All in all, we had a nice experience here. The hotel staff are friendly - not necessarily overly accommodating, but friendly enough. The room was clean and fairly spacious. My only complaint is that the cable network is pretty small and dominated by sports channels. The hotel is in good location: just four blocks from the Metro and one block from the Capitol Bikeshare program.

1 Thank Whinniekins
Albania
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Located at the Connecticut Ave, on the walking distance (7 min) from the DuPont Circle Metro, it is a nice old-fashioned hotel (historical, they say). Rooms are big, very American, nicely planned 100 years ago. Sowers are very American too. The property is not bright new, but it is supported in rather good condition. I did like to see the accurate fixing of the small wears. Sleeping conditions are OK, ventilation is OK, Breakfast is OK. Really the staff at entrance may be more attentive. The gym is small, but OK. The area around is good for walk

Room Tip: If you want the most quiet room, ask for the one not looking to the square. But I did live in the on...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Quaint, old-world property with European charm. Room was spacious although the bathroom was small and cramped and not exactly updated, which we didn't mind. Room was on a higher floor and was quite quiet, hotel is centrally located near Metro, good coffee shops and restaurants and within walking distance of Embassy Row and Adams Morgan. With all the hotel had going for it, in a five day stay we were never once greeted when we arrived or walked through the lobby although they were very pleasant if engaged by us. One day 3 employees were standing at the doors when we walked up to the building and they simply continued their conversation, never looking at us, offering to open the door or a good morning. We entered through another door to avoid interrupting them and joked that we could be masked, armed terrorists walking past the registration desk but wouldn't be noticed because no one ever looked up. Funny, except it IS Washington D. C. Really is a very nice property, we enjoyed our stay there and appreciate the chuckles we got by inattentive staff, especially when we were loading our car to leave and a staff member finally approached us to inquire how long we would be staying. Five days earlier no one was to be found.

Room Tip: Our room on an upper floor was very nice and quiet.
New York
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Despite the fact that the Churchill Hotel is an historic landmark, our 3 days stay there were very disappointing! It felt like the management was inexistent!! The staff was nor professional nor motivated. Our first night we had the choice between a handicapped room, a room with no heat or a room next to a noisy big soda machine... Very surprising when you know that the hotel has 173 guest-rooms and suites available. Very expensive parking too and no breakfast included. The hotel is far from the mall (50 mns minimum by foot) and 15 mns from Dupont Circle. There are good restaurants and bars in the area though.

Room Tip: Check the noise problem (soda machines) and the efficiency of the A/C.
1 Thank 22Emma