“Great hotel but...”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #44 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Had an excellent experience, from reserving. Hotel to the stay. My beef is with hotels that still nickel and dime u by charging for wifi as this hotel did.
The service was very good, rooms great, older so bathroom not the big modern one but it was fine

Good location. Overall management needs to work as hard as the staff at making this an excellent experience. In other words,don't pull the coffee and water in the morning because its not the weekend and don't charge for wifi,.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We have been staying at the Churchill Hotel since they opened (and before that when they were the Sofitel)--over 15 years. It is a wonderful place--both cozy and warm. My husband and I have always received outstanding service and keep coming back, as a result. It is our "home away from home" in DC. During our recent trip (January 2013), there was some confusion with our reservation; nevertheless, the team at the Churchill were very kind, understanding, and accommodating. They aided us in finding alternative arrangements for one night and welcomed us back on the final night of our stay. We were delighted to return before our departure! We expected nothing less but outstanding service and received it. We will certainly be back. Great overall experience, as always.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed at the Churchill for a week on business and was so spoiled by the staff. They are not only nice and professional, but very willing to assist with any matter. Whether it was getting us meeting space or keeping the bar open a little longer for team building. Great overall experience.

1  Thank martha m
Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is a great hotel, a "boutique" type. It has charm, the rooms are beautiful and the staff is so accommodating. there is nothing they won't do to make your stay better. they bend over backwards to take care of guest requests and do it with a smile and a great attitude. I'll always come back!

1  Thank LizBurke
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I booked two rooms at this hotel at the last minute through an app on my phone for a discounted price. My mom has been in the hospital and a few family members and I found ourselves needing to stay in DC at the last minute. Just through hearing my family and I talk during check in, the front desk representative quickly realized that we had just come from the hospital. I feel like they made an extra effort to make sure we were comfortable and taken care of. They upgraded our rooms at no cost. The rooms were surprising large for an old building with small hallways. The front desk made sure that we knew of our options for dinner and gave us a list of nearby restaurants right when we checked in. I know the area of the hotel and there are many outstanding restaurants nearby. However, we were so tired we decided to eat right in the hotel restaurant. The restaurant itself was closed but the full menu was available in the bar/lounge. There was only one other person so I didn't have high expectations of the food. To my surprise, the food was excellent. I really enjoyed my soup and entree. The other three people in my family also really enjoyed their dinner. I give this hotel a high rating because of the friendly staff, great location (even though we didn't take advantage of that), and nice rooms. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 out of 5 is that the building itself just can't be built out to have the exceptional amenities and quality of rooms and bathrooms that you would find in a five star hotel. However, this hotel has made the best use of the physical space, staff and restaurant/lounge to create an excellent experience for the guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This hotel is a very nice, well-located hotel near embassies. Not inexpensive, but worth the price. Very comfortable. Good Service. I would stay there when again in Washington. Had reserved a Days Inn on city perimeter, but after seeing that, I immediately left for a better neighbourhood and found the Churchill which was a more practical location for touring anyway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is an attractive, historic hotel within walking distance of Dupont Circle. Many restaurants are also close by as is Embassy Row. Our King Suite was quite large with a seperate bedroom and was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very, very small which was our only real complaint. We found the staff to be efficient when approached and unobtrusive otherwise. No shouts of " have a GREAT DAY" when you leave but a restrained and businesslike "good morning" if you made eye contact. The price was one of the best features in our opinion. Unfortunately, the valet is expensive and street parking is non existant. The valet was prompt, however. Finally, we implore hotels to treat wifi as they do hot water and electricity and stop charging for this utility.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family