“Very Comfortable Independent Hotel Close to Reagan National Airport (DCA)”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #43 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Comfortable Independent Hotel Close to Reagan National Airport (DCA)”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

What started out on a sore note ended well,all things considered. The sore note is parking. This is a historic building converted to a hotel right on Connecticut Ave. (great central location), but without a parking lot, but it does have valet parking. Against friends advice I rented a car. I should have listened to my friends! Driving in the D.C. area was a harrowing, white knuckle experience. Don't go through it! It is far easier and cheaper just to take a cab/taxi they are everywhere and are not that expensive. Getting back to my arrival at the hotel, I had to wait (in the street) about 10-15 minutes before my car could be taken, and upon leaving at about 3AM I had to wait 30 minutes to get my car :( OK, We got the bad over with! Lesson learned: Taxi! Don't rent a car! Now, as for the staff, rooms, customer service and cleanliness. All top notch. My room was clean, well taken care of, all the amenities you might expect (small fridge but no mini bar items though). Coffee maker, Iron, Ironing board, flat screen TV with a good choice of channels etc. The staff was helpful and engaging. The evening bar staff - I ordered some food to take back to my room (They do have room service though) were very nice and Kudos to the morning breakfast room staff as some of my group were late, and they did everything possible to make everything work - they were terrific! Many times I have had less good experiences with independent hotels and prefer the standards of chains. This was the exception to the rule. So aside from the really poor parking issue, this hotel gets a good rating from me. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room towards the rear of the property. I was on the 6th floor and did not note any ro...
1 Thank medschoolguy
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear medschoolguy, we truly appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorough review about The Churchill Hotel. You are absolutely right saying that car can be a hassle in this city, especially parking which is expensive and not always available. Washington offers a convenient system of public transportation that can get you anywhere you need. You can basically visit all the attractions by using bus or metro. Hop-on / Hop-off bus tours can be another alternative for someone who is ready to spend one-two days for sightseeing only. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our boutique hotel and we definitely want you to come back. Thanks again for your kind words about our staff. It really means a lot for all of us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here on a business trip. I was sure to ask for a room with a desk, as some of them are so small there is no desk. Only one of the two elevators was working when I got there and there was a long wait to get up to the room. It was too hot in the room so I turned the thermostat down. When I got back it was about 90F, blowing hot air continuously since I had left the room. I turned it off and opened the window so I could sleep. A couple other people at my meeting told me they had the same problem. At the front desk, they said, "Oh the air conditioning is not working." But that was not the problem. The heat stayed on when it should have stopped. The shower leaked so some of the water went out the spout into the tub instead of the shower. But they had nice orange scented shampoo. So I recommend you avoid this old hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a desk and not one of the tiny rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear SeeTheWorld4Peace, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We are sorry to hear that all mentioned technical problems did happen at the same time and we missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with The Churchill Hotel. You were right saying that the building was old. That’s why some of the breakdowns happen unexpectedly for all of us. We just want to assure you that management takes necessary steps to prevent them by changing outdated units. Some of the renovation actions will take place in the near future and we definitely want you to come back and enjoy splendid service in the renovated hotel.
Seattle
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My son and I recently spent five days at The Churchill while seeing the sights in DC. Everything about this hotel was perfect...staff, wonderfully clean rooms, quiet, great location (close to metro and fine restaurants ). We did not want to leave. The zoo is two stops away on the metro or could be walked fairly easily. We ate breakfast each morning at the hotel and several dinners in the bar area. All the meals were perfect. I travel often and was so relieved to have such an immaculate room...bed etc.

Room Tip: I would imagine some visitors would want to be away from the busy street. We enjoyed the action and...
1 Thank Annette D
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Annette D, we really appreciate your taking the time to leave a couple of words about the Churchill hotel and its employees. The location of the Churchill is truly winning. And it is advantageous not only for tourists coming for sightseeing but business travelers as well. We are glad that you discovered our property and we expect you to become our frequent guest. Please tell your friends and family about our hotel and we hope to welcome you back very soon!
Near New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We found our rooms at the Churchill Hotel to be perfectly acceptable and fairly reasonably priced for a neighborhood convenient to city attractions. I quickly learned in planning a recent trip that choosing a hotel one or two metro stops from the center of the city brought prices down dramatically. The rooms at the Churchill proved more spacious than one expects to find in a metropolitan hotel and the beds were quite comfortable. The building dates to an earlier era and we thought the twists in the hallways and odd features in the rooms charming. The baths are dated and awkwardly laid-out, but that's hardly a problem. We found that the windows adequately blocked most noise from the street and did not have any of the problems with air circulation about which other reviewers complained. We found the front desk staff accommodating. We did call upon room service or eat in the restaurant. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance and there is enough traffic--in the roadway and on the sidewalks--to make the area feel perfectly safe. The metro is about six blocks down the hill (a more difficult walk when one is returning at the end of a day of sightseeing).

Room Tip: Don't bother to book a junior suite--it's not sufficiently more spacious than a standard roo...
2 Thank AHappyCouple87
Dear AHappyCouple87, we truly appreciate your time and effort. Thank you for writing such a detailed review about our hotel. I can agree with you that some of the standard rooms have relatively same size as junior suites. However, as a rule junior suites are better located in the building and have street view. Along with that they are equipped with separate study area which is always highly valued by people who come to Washington for work and business. Thanks again for sharing your experience on trip advisor and we’ll be glad to see you again any time you are in town for business or pleasure!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I stay here every time we visit our daughter in DC. The rooms are all classically decorated,the beds comfy and the place is very clean.Many of the rooms have a fridge and sitting areas as well. Great location near everything and reasonable pricing compared to the rest of the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron82083
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Ron82083, thank you so much for your five star review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had good time in Washington DC. We definitely want you to return! Feel free to give us a call any time should you require any assistance with your future reservation. Please be informed that we offer 10% discount for those who live in the neighborhood and their relatives. Thanks again for sharing your experience on trip advisor and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Churchill for our recent sight seeing trip to DC. In my opinion, everything about this hotel is exceptional. Our room and every other area of the hotel was clean and comfortable. We were in room 415, it was spacious. the king size bed was comfy and it was dressed with good quality bedding and lots of pillows.
We had two breakfasts and one dinner at the Churchill and experienced "Happy Hour" there one evening. All the meals were very good and well priced.
The Churchill is in a good location, a ten minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro station. The walk back is up-hill, but was not too difficult for me (age 60 with an arthritic knee).
The best asset of this hotel is the staff, they are all very friendly and helpful.
I booked my trip as a package( flight and hotel) with an on-line company and I was happy with the price.
I will definitley stay at the Churchill next time I am in DC. Valerie Bennett Johnson, Canada

Room Tip: Just ask for a spacious room, our room was located near the elevators and faced the busy main street...
1 Thank Valerie B
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Valerie B, we appreciate the kind words you said about our hotel and staff! Thank you for sharing your experience with trip advisor users and everyone who is planning to visit Washington DC in the near future. It is always a pleasure to hear that someone had an enjoyable trip and Churchill was part of it. Special thank you from all our food and beverage staff for advertising our dining facilities. We certainly want you to come back and bring your family with you to enjoy warmer season in Washington.
cleveland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Actually 4.5 stars. I have been to the Churchill on 2 occasions now. The building is clean with preserved historical charm. Front desk staff have been very helpful both times. The first stay we had a very large room, again clean with everything you need. Second stay was in a smaller room but equally as nice. The high ceilings made the room feel larger. Beds were comfortable, noise was well contained, everything worked well in the rooms. The Churchill is lower priced than some of the surrounding hotels, which will certainly keep us coming back. Great location just north of Dupont Circle and the Metro. A plethora of restaurants and shops a short walk from the hotel. Overall, two thumbs up.

2 Thank johnkocka
Dear johnkocka, thanks a lot for such a thorough review! I was glad to hear that it wasn’t your first time with us. We definitely appreciate your loyalty and willingness to visit us again! Please let us know what room type you liked better and it will help us to make your next stay with us even more enjoyable. Please come back and tell your friends about your experience!