“Great Experience -- Caring Staff”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
South Boston, Virginia
“Great Experience -- Caring Staff”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We loved staying at The Churchill Embassy Row Hotel in Washington, DC. The front desk staff member, Wanda Scales, was great checking us in and made sure we had everything we needed. She was most helpful with giving us directions and recommendations on sights to see while in Washington. Once checking in, we found the room to be beautifully decorated and very spacious. Our room reservation also included breakfast, and it was fabulous. They served items from the menu that were fixed to order (omelets, waffles, french toast, etc.) It was more than just doughnuts and cereal. My husband, daughter, and I really enjoyed the service we received. We had a great time despite my daughter getting sick on our second day there. Unfortunately, we had to leave a day early, but the staff was very understanding in taking care of us. One member of the staff, Kacem Osmani, went out of his way to help us with checking out. Once he found out my daughter was sick, he was very kind and helped us in everyway to make sure our checkout was prompt. He was quick to get our truck from valet parking and also loaded up all our luggage to get us home. He showed sincere concern for us and made sure we were taken care of. I was deeply touched by his compassion and kindness. If our family plans a trip back to Washington, DC in the near future, I would definitely stay here again. The hotel and staff members are "tops" in my opinion!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank woverby
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear woverby, it was truly a pleasure to read your review of our hotel. Glad that you enjoyed your time in Washington DC. It was very unfortunate that you had to leave one day early and we hope your daughter got better. We treat our guests as our family members and we definitely couldn’t take your daughter’s illness without certain feeling of compassion. Thank you for mentioning the names of some of our staff like Wanda and Kacem. They will be pleased to know that they have managed to make your stay wonderful. We also want to thank you for your comments regarding breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We loved this quiet historical hotel. Refrig, coffee bar, king bed with quality fresh linens. Desk, two comfy chairs & table in a compact room. Free wi-fi. If you want modern high priced hotels with no personality this is not your place. We loved the restaurant in hotel. Food was wonderful and well priced. Wish we had this hotel in every place we visit. Came to WA DC for history and this hotel met our needs nicely and extremely well priced. Staff delightful and very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank lightchick123
Dear lightchick123, we are truly grateful for leaving five star review of The Churchill hotel and it’s team. We were pleased to see that you found the hotel very comfortable as well as the staff friendly. Thank you for mentioning our restaurant, we'll let our food and beverage team know that they played a big part in ensuring such a wonderful stay for you. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 April 2014

What started out on a sore note ended well,all things considered. The sore note is parking. This is a historic building converted to a hotel right on Connecticut Ave. (great central location), but without a parking lot, but it does have valet parking. Against friends advice I rented a car. I should have listened to my friends! Driving in the D.C. area was a harrowing, white knuckle experience. Don't go through it! It is far easier and cheaper just to take a cab/taxi they are everywhere and are not that expensive. Getting back to my arrival at the hotel, I had to wait (in the street) about 10-15 minutes before my car could be taken, and upon leaving at about 3AM I had to wait 30 minutes to get my car :( OK, We got the bad over with! Lesson learned: Taxi! Don't rent a car! Now, as for the staff, rooms, customer service and cleanliness. All top notch. My room was clean, well taken care of, all the amenities you might expect (small fridge but no mini bar items though). Coffee maker, Iron, Ironing board, flat screen TV with a good choice of channels etc. The staff was helpful and engaging. The evening bar staff - I ordered some food to take back to my room (They do have room service though) were very nice and Kudos to the morning breakfast room staff as some of my group were late, and they did everything possible to make everything work - they were terrific! Many times I have had less good experiences with independent hotels and prefer the standards of chains. This was the exception to the rule. So aside from the really poor parking issue, this hotel gets a good rating from me. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room towards the rear of the property. I was on the 6th floor and did not note any ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank medschoolguy
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear medschoolguy, we truly appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorough review about The Churchill Hotel. You are absolutely right saying that car can be a hassle in this city, especially parking which is expensive and not always available. Washington offers a convenient system of public transportation that can get you anywhere you need. You can basically visit all the attractions by using bus or metro. Hop-on / Hop-off bus tours can be another alternative for someone who is ready to spend one-two days for sightseeing only. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our boutique hotel and we definitely want you to come back. Thanks again for your kind words about our staff. It really means a lot for all of us!
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here on a business trip. I was sure to ask for a room with a desk, as some of them are so small there is no desk. Only one of the two elevators was working when I got there and there was a long wait to get up to the room. It was too hot in the room so I turned the thermostat down. When I got back it was about 90F, blowing hot air continuously since I had left the room. I turned it off and opened the window so I could sleep. A couple other people at my meeting told me they had the same problem. At the front desk, they said, "Oh the air conditioning is not working." But that was not the problem. The heat stayed on when it should have stopped. The shower leaked so some of the water went out the spout into the tub instead of the shower. But they had nice orange scented shampoo. So I recommend you avoid this old hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a desk and not one of the tiny rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear SeeTheWorld4Peace, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We are sorry to hear that all mentioned technical problems did happen at the same time and we missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with The Churchill Hotel. You were right saying that the building was old. That’s why some of the breakdowns happen unexpectedly for all of us. We just want to assure you that management takes necessary steps to prevent them by changing outdated units. Some of the renovation actions will take place in the near future and we definitely want you to come back and enjoy splendid service in the renovated hotel.
Seattle
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My son and I recently spent five days at The Churchill while seeing the sights in DC. Everything about this hotel was perfect...staff, wonderfully clean rooms, quiet, great location (close to metro and fine restaurants ). We did not want to leave. The zoo is two stops away on the metro or could be walked fairly easily. We ate breakfast each morning at the hotel and several dinners in the bar area. All the meals were perfect. I travel often and was so relieved to have such an immaculate room...bed etc.

Room Tip: I would imagine some visitors would want to be away from the busy street. We enjoyed the action and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annette D
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Annette D, we really appreciate your taking the time to leave a couple of words about the Churchill hotel and its employees. The location of the Churchill is truly winning. And it is advantageous not only for tourists coming for sightseeing but business travelers as well. We are glad that you discovered our property and we expect you to become our frequent guest. Please tell your friends and family about our hotel and we hope to welcome you back very soon!
Near New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We found our rooms at the Churchill Hotel to be perfectly acceptable and fairly reasonably priced for a neighborhood convenient to city attractions. I quickly learned in planning a recent trip that choosing a hotel one or two metro stops from the center of the city brought prices down dramatically. The rooms at the Churchill proved more spacious than one expects to find in a metropolitan hotel and the beds were quite comfortable. The building dates to an earlier era and we thought the twists in the hallways and odd features in the rooms charming. The baths are dated and awkwardly laid-out, but that's hardly a problem. We found that the windows adequately blocked most noise from the street and did not have any of the problems with air circulation about which other reviewers complained. We found the front desk staff accommodating. We did call upon room service or eat in the restaurant. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance and there is enough traffic--in the roadway and on the sidewalks--to make the area feel perfectly safe. The metro is about six blocks down the hill (a more difficult walk when one is returning at the end of a day of sightseeing).

Room Tip: Don't bother to book a junior suite--it's not sufficiently more spacious than a standard roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AHappyCouple87
Dear AHappyCouple87, we truly appreciate your time and effort. Thank you for writing such a detailed review about our hotel. I can agree with you that some of the standard rooms have relatively same size as junior suites. However, as a rule junior suites are better located in the building and have street view. Along with that they are equipped with separate study area which is always highly valued by people who come to Washington for work and business. Thanks again for sharing your experience on trip advisor and we’ll be glad to see you again any time you are in town for business or pleasure!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I stay here every time we visit our daughter in DC. The rooms are all classically decorated,the beds comfy and the place is very clean.Many of the rooms have a fridge and sitting areas as well. Great location near everything and reasonable pricing compared to the rest of the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron82083
Manager1914, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Ron82083, thank you so much for your five star review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had good time in Washington DC. We definitely want you to return! Feel free to give us a call any time should you require any assistance with your future reservation. Please be informed that we offer 10% discount for those who live in the neighborhood and their relatives. Thanks again for sharing your experience on trip advisor and we hope to welcome you back soon!