“Lots of light - in the middle of DC”

Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown
Ranked #12 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Marsala
“Lots of light - in the middle of DC”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Beautiful hotel. The room was large and attractive. The public space is gorgeous - full of light, marble and mirrors - and tasteful.

The staff was professional and helpful.

Perfect location for DC. It's in between the Mall and Georgetown and an easy walk to either.

I'd stay again.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor but it doesn't really matter in DC - nothing much over 10 stories.
1 Thank 359kateh
FairmontDC, Manager at Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you very much Kate H! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and help future travelers with their hotel decision.

Your observations about the public space is spot on. We refer to the hotel as an “urban oasis” in the heart of the nation’s capital. The lobby décor and courtyard garden contribute to a sense of peace as soon as you enter the property.

We enjoyed reading your compliments toward our team and location and are glad to hear that you would stay again. We look forward to having you back,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Windsor, Colorado
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I've attended the same meeting every year for the past 5 years at the Fairmont Washington DC. Its a great location (close to Georgetown) and a great facility. For a small conference, this is a great hotel. The staff are always pleasant and easy to work for. I appreciate that as a President's Club member you get free wifi access.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden have a balcony.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much RLMartin! It looks like you are quite an experienced traveler and we value your input. We’re honored to have had the opportunity to host you for the past 5 years and hope to continue to welcome you back for years to come.

We appreciate your compliments toward our team, location and facility. And you’re right about the free WiFi—it’s a major perk of being a Fairmont President’s Club member. We encourage all guests to sign up prior to arrival.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The location was great for my needs, walkable to Georgetown shopping and restaurants. Facilities were clean and all staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Overall it made for a nice and easy business trip to the otherwise hectic DC area.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you kindly Enox333! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are glad that you had a pleasant stay.

We strive to offer business travelers a relaxing retreat and are glad that it contributed to a nice and easy trip for you. We are most grateful for your compliments toward our team. “Extremely helpful and friendly” are great ways to describe them—they are truly our greatest asset.

Thank you again. We hope to have you back again soon,

JVAW
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We had a very nice visit at the hotel. I stayed with my family and they enjoyed the room and the location of the hotel. Its within walking distance to Georgetown. My kids loved the pool! The bellhop staff was amazing and so kind to my small children. The room was clean and updated, and pretty quiet. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard will keep away the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
FairmontDC, Manager at Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you very much JVAW! We appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Small children are some of the most treasured guests at our hotel and our team loves to keep them happy. Their delight in doing so is a pleasure for all to see.

We are glad that you enjoyed the location, the pool and the room. We look forward to welcoming you back and continuing to create memorable trips,

Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have had the opportunity to stay in many great hotels throughout the world. I have never before been so impressed with the level of the staff, from the bellman and women, to the concierge floor. All of the employees with whom I interacted were among the finest, most caring, most professional ever. The concierge level was amazing…. a finer breakfast you would not find just about anywhere, the evening snacks and late evening desserts were fantastic. The room was great as most Fairmonts are, but the staff and amenities in this floor made the stay memorable. I really just wanted to live there.

Room Tip: upgrade to the concierge
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much FlashLosAngeles! What a wonderful review. We’d be happy to let you move in!

Your recognition of our team is spot on. These individuals are devoted to hospitality and go above and beyond on a daily basis. We encourage all guests to take advantage of Fairmont Gold (our Concierge level). It’s an experience few travelers will forget!

Thank you again. We are truly grateful and hope to welcome you back again soon,

Winchester,VA
Reviewed 8 February 2014

On 1/31/2014 my wife and I traveled to Washington DC to attend the annual Auto Show. Prior to arrival I spent some time researching hotels on the internet because I was using points from American Express to stay. Some years ago we had attended a special brunch at the Fairmont hotel in their Colonnade room and were very impressed with it so we decided to return to stay at the hotel. We redeemed our points and booked a Deluxe room for two nights.

We called ahead of time on our way to DC and asked if we could check in 3 1/2 hours early and were told certainly to come right to the hotel.

Upon arrival we were approached by a number of staff members who took our automobile and valet parked it underground in the parking garage. Our luggage was taken care of and were advised it would be delivered to our room.

We approached the office supervisor Mr. Phelton Calhoun who was such a pleasure to speak with and who offered us any floor we wanted to stay on. We requested a higher floor at which point he explained the difference between the different areas on the floor as far as view, privacy, noise, etc. We took a room at the end corner and believe me I didn't hear a peep from anyone or any outside noise during the entire stay.

The first time out of the hotel we requested a taxi and one was hailed for us from in front of the hotel. Well this was the taxi driver from you know where. We entered the taxi and met a very abusive man whom I later learned was from Nigeria. I was trying to be friendly by asking him how long he had been operating a taxi in our Nations Capital. OH MY GOSH what a mistake that was. He went off on us. Asked me why I would ask such a question. Proceeded to yell at me telling me that anyone with any reasonable sense would know that was a question that only family members would ask. The tone he used toward us was abusive and he was extremely provocative and overbearing. We were relieved when he stopped in front of the convention center where we were getting out.

Unfortunately my wife dropped her cellular telephone in the back seat on the way out of the cab and he left with it. I attempted to call the phone while he was still in site and tried for the next 10 minutes but he refused to answer it. Based on our experience I called my service provider and canceled the service on the phone.

Upon returning to the hotel I thought the right thing to do was report this experience to the concierge so they could prevent another guest from suffering a similar experience with this cab driver.

Well let me tell you Eric who was at the Concierge desk was so pleasant and apologized for the treatment we had received even though the hotel had no connection to this nut. He initiated an immediate investigation and notified the outside staff of what had occurred.

My wife and I then proceeded to the lounge for a few libations and to listen to the pianist for a while and when we concluded that she returned to the room and I stepped outside for a breath of fresh air. While outside I met with two very pleasant men who took a very personal interest in the way we were treated by this taxi driver. I had written down the name on the cab and the number on the back of it and I was advised that they would ban him from picking up passengers at the Fairmont. Well low and behold after about 10 minutes of talking to GT the Valet who pulls up in front of the hotel but the same taxi.

I told GT well there he is, at which point we both approached the taxi and this nut got out of his taxi. He recognized me and started ranting and raving in front of the hotel. GT asked him if he had my cellular telephone and he actually acknowledged that he did. GT was extremely nice to him and requested that he return the phone. This guy didn't want to return it and accused me of stiffing him a dollar off the fair we had paid.

I just wanted to knock him upside his head and stuff him up the exhaust of his taxi but GT kept me calm and finally persuaded him to return the phone. He then got back in his cab and left.

I then met Omar the guest service manager with whom GT and I explained what had just occurred.

Omar was such a delightful representative of the hotel and went out of his way to make the balance of our trip absolutely enjoyable.

We didn't feel like we were being treated by staff but more like close personal friends and were made to feel like they took a very personal interest in seeing that we didn't have any additional un-pleasantries during our stay.

It was just so nice to have all these folks greet you when they saw us by our names. They all went way out of their way to see that we were happy and enjoying our trip. I can't ever remember any better time at a hotel with maybe one exception which would have maybe been the service we received at the WYNN in Vegas.

I can't recommend the Fairmont enough if you want to be treated like family. We overheard some things in the restaurant that sort of ruffled my wife when it came to the way some people talked to the staff who were waiting on them. For instance one woman got rather unpleasant with a waitress because her toast was not buttered prior to arriving at the table. We saw the waitress show her the very nice butter balls on a dish in front of her but she demanded her toast be returned to the kitchen to be buttered by the chef. The waitress was very very pleasant with her and complied with exactly what she wanted. I just felt so sorry for her with the way she was treated by this guest.

We both felt like looking her in the eye and telling her what an arrogant person she was and that it was apparent she had no regard for the poor waitress who was trying to make her breakfast enjoyable.

Anyway if you are ever staying in Washington DC please take my word and try the Fairmont at 2401 M Street NW. Their phone number is 202-429-2400.

In conclusion I knew this was a rather expensive hotel to stay at and I'm not complaining. I just want people to know to expect rather expensive tabs in the hotel restaurant, bar and lounge or if you get room service. The room service is wonderful and arrives very quickly and the food was very nice. I do have to mention one thing about senior management. They must make a note of every comment that a guest makes and ensures that any complaint or unhappy experience is rectified. Case in point. I ordered dinner late Saturday Night. I was just in the mood for a fish sandwich. They had one that was advertised as having a nice malt vinegar mayonnaise and was complemented with watercress. Unfortunately both were not present when the dinner arrived. I called guest services and asked about it and they explained that they were out of watercress. I still don't know what happened with the malt vinegar mayonnaise however because of the lack of this both my wife and I were comped a very nice breakfast the next morning. So because my fish sandwich didn't have malt vinegar or watercress we received a complementary breakfast which would have cost us $50.00. What a very nice way to say "we are sorry."

Again I want to personally thank Phelton, Eric, Omar and GT and those whose names we didn't get for such a wonderful time.

Mark and Cheryl Anderson

Room Tip: If you don't know what type of room you want just ask who ever is on the front desk. They will...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much Mr. and Mrs. Anderson! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We apologize for any inconvenience with your cab rides!

We really enjoyed this comment: “I can't recommend the Fairmont enough if you want to be treated like family.” It’s a great compliment and a wonderful recognition of our team. They are our greatest asset and dedicated to excellence.

Thank you for recognizing Phelton, Eric, Omar and GT---they are all extraordinary individuals who will go far in the hospitality industry.

Thank you again. We are truly grateful for your recommendation and hope to have the opportunity to host you again,

Pinecrest, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We visit Washington DC often to spend time with family. The Fairmont is our home while we're there. The staff is always friendly and attentive. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the amenities (free internet, Washington Post, etc.) from the President's Club membership really add to the comfortable experience.

Room Tip: A high floor on the street side or a courtyard room will reduce the noise to barely perceptible.
Green Features: Bee hive on roof is a nice touch. Thy do the usual bit of letting them only wash the sheets and towels every few days.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much Scott A! We love hearing that the Fairmont is your home in DC and are grateful for your loyalty.

We appreciate your compliments toward our team and can assure you that they are well deserved. The team at this property is amazing and dedicated to creating extraordinary guest experiences.

Thank you again—we look forward to seeing you soon,