“Superb service and well kept hotel”

Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Superb service and well kept hotel”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Stayed one night here for a business meeting - it is truly a well kept, classy hotel. Definitely for the elegant traveler. Rooms are very comfortable and large, staff was incredibly friendly, and the restaurant (Juniper) was great. Beautiful courtyard to relax in too. Location is a bit outside of Georgetown but I'd still recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Reservation # 509-05276, Fairmont President's Club member. No reply received to the following e-mail to George Terpilowski, General Manager of Fairmont Washington, D.C.:
We just returned from the Fairmont Washington DC & wanted to make sure you are aware of our disappointment with that property. After making advance arrangements with reservations staff regarding the type of room we needed & how important this was given our expected exhaustion from a long drive & a late-night arrival, the requested suite upgrade &/or queen size bed &/or extra cot were not arranged. Instead, Orlene, the Front Desk Manager, summarily dismissed us off to the double room asking us to have a look at it & try it for size. How could she have thought that 3 kids (ages 7, 7 & 12) could all fit on the double bed provided???!! It was stupid & thoughtless. When we called down to advise her that the bed was not going to be large enough, she said she had no other rooms available, even with our requested upgrade! Instead, Orlene reluctantly sent up a cot for our 3rd child stating that she would make an exception to the hotel fire regulations. If it was such a problem, why didn't they suggest a proper room configuration to accommodate us when we originally booked?? I told reservations that our 3 kids would fit on a QUEEN size bed, NOT a DOUBLE bed. How is it possible that there was not one single room that could accommodate our party, even with our suite upgrade certificates, when we had e-mailed staff in advance of our requirements?! We only had 3 nights & Angie Clifton (Operations Mgr.) miraculously had a room for us the next day when she heard of our situation. By that time, we had only 2.5 days left in DC & didn't want the extreme inconvenience of having to pack up 5 people's things to switch rooms for only 2 more nights! And rather than graciously provide us with the late check-in (1 a.m.) room credit or free valet parking or a free breakfast, Angie Clifton thought a measly, inexpensive bottle of California wine & a few milk & cookies would adequately compensate us for this inconvenience?! As a result, we made a concerted effort NOT to spend an extra penny at the Fairmont during our stay. The hotel lost our business for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, room service, in-room movies, souvenir purchases, etc. In addition, when I checked out I asked the clerk to charge my U.S. dollar Visa, not the Cdn $ Mastercard on which the room had been booked originally. Guess what? They billed the Cdn $ Mastercard so I incurred foreign exchange fees & conversion when I had a U.S. dollar Visa & U.S. cash available to pay it off with. Really careless staff!!
To add to the nonsense, I tried to get into my Fairmont President's Club Premier account online & was told that my profile did not exist. I also received a Fairmont package in the mail with my first name misspelled for the first time. What is happening at your organization? The high service levels, accuracy of bookings, etc. experienced in previous stays & past years seems to have gone by the wayside this year. I work for a large company that has booked & sponsored many conferences at various hotels including Fairmont Hotels. We've had great experiences with your hotel chain at various Canadian locations in past years & I was shocked at the indifference & lack of common sense from your Front Desk & Reservations staff at the Washington DC location (with the exception of Sr. Concierge Kitt Vidnovic who was terrific in advising us with excursion planning, making advance reservations at Central, etc. & arranging for a parcel delivery ---- all PRIOR to our arrival). Everyone else at the Fairmont Washington was aloof & indifferent. Now I understand why my company uses the Sofitel or the Park Hyatt in Washington. I hope this feedback will spur you to improve hospitality & booking accuracy at this location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank familyfunseeker
Norwich
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights and were extremely pleased with our choice. The hotel is well located as a base for exploring DC and just 10 minutes walk to Foggy Bottom Metro station and a short walk from Georgetown - this means that there's a good choice of a range of restaurants in easy reach.
As for the hotel itself, we couldn't fault it - a spacious, quiet room on the 7th floor, friendly staff and we were very surprised to receive a complementary buffet breakfast which we would have certainly paid full price for.
We'd definitely stay there again.

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I've traveled on business and attended conventions hosted in hotels throughout my career. None has been better than the Fairmont in DC. As to the convention support, the facilities and support staff were superb. Lots of elevators that were fast; the staff looked for ways to help us out. The conference rooms were well-appointed and comfortable. As to the guest rooms, the beds were scrumptious - large and comfortable. The rooms were adequately sized and well-furnished. The bathroom amenities were top quality. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of both Georgetown and the trendy Dupont Circle. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Overall a beautiful room at a very convinient location. We did not use any of the facilities, so can not comment on them. Note: valet parking is $40 (fourty bucks) per day, which is a shame. You should be able to find plenty of free parking on a same block :) High Speed Internet did not work in our room.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife and I stopped here to break up our trip from Columbus to Williamsburg for my sister's wedding. It's been a long time either of us have been so impressed by a hotel - or travels have left us jaded and setting standards perhaps a bit too high, but the Fairmont met them all. From pulling up Wednesday afternoon to driving off Thursday morning, the service was impeccable. Everyone on the staff was well-trained, efficient, friendly and courteous. Not once was anyone condescending, rude, or distant. The room was beautiful (warm earth tones with asian accents) and spotless. We unfortunately had no chance to use our free access to the health club, or to try out their new restaurant, but can hopefully try them out on our next visit to DC, as the Fairmont will definitely be our first choice.

pgh
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I made reservations at the this hotel and cancelled them 2 days later decided to stay at another hotel just because of location, wanted to be in downtown DC not in Georgetown. I cancelled the reservations 2 days after I booked it well low and behold I got my bill today and they charged me for a 1 night stay saying I was a no show. Called and spoke with Tashi in the account depatment and because I didn't have my cancellation number she couldn't refund me. I told her again the situation and explained that because someone in your company didn't do their job correctly I now have to pay $266.00. I also kindly asked if they would be willing to maybe split it with me and she said no. I will never stay at this hotel nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone but I will let everyone I can know my situation. They have the worst customer service around and I am so glad I chose to stay at the Marriott Metro Center they were wonderful, the location was great, much cheaper for a top notched hotel!!!!! (Although I had to put a date of stay on this report I DID NOT STAY HERE!!!!)

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family