“Cherry Blossom Safari tour”

Washington Photo Safari
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Washington DC Photo Safari: Monuments and...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day outdoor photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to hundreds of clients every month on local and domestic outdoor itineraries. Since 1999, over 35,000 amateur photographers have been trained on 5,300 safaris by Washington Photo Safari, 10,300 of them returning as repeat clients
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had a great time. I'm already an intermediate user of my DSLR so I didnt need much of the technical instruction but I did appreciate the guides pointing out interesting historic spots and vantage points for pics, etc...
I would suggest allowing AMPLE time to get to the meeting location if you attend during a major festival in DC. It took me almost 45minutes to walk from the nearest Metro stop and taking a taxi would have been even longer.
Do it! You'll have a great time :)

All reviews
"amateur photographer"
"learning experience"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Not only did David give us excellent tips about how to make better photos, he also seemed to be familiar with many camera brands and was able to help us figure out how to do things when the owner's manual had skipped a few steps. Very interesting seeing well known sites though the eyes of a professional photographer...I'll never look at them the same way again. Also appreciated the mini-history lessons he threw in. BTW, you take a car or cab between sites so the walking is only about 1/2 mile over 3 hours. Now I finally understand the relationship between depth of field and F stops! Thanks!

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We are so glad this client enjoyed the photo safari and found it helpful to improving her skills in photography. Having hosted over 29,500 participants in the past 15 years, our instructors know most of the menus of all the cameras and can explain exactly what DOES that little doodad do?

Our approach is hand-on training, giving instruction while the client is taking pictures, so that the client's own fingers do the walking needed to fix a picture that is too dark, too light, wrong color, too blurry, or too boring. We believe that a person can take good (or bad) pictures with ANY camera, so we invite people at any skill level to attend with whatever camera they have.

Beginner photographers appreciate the in-depth information we give on F stops and shutter speeds. Intermediate sk-ill photographers welcome the tips we give on creative use of filters and white balance, or shooting on Manual Mode. Advanced photographers appreciate our knowledge of the most photogenic sites and the exclusive access we provide to venues not generally available to the public.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

For me a specialized camera re-familiarization was needed.
"The practical get out and shoot" Safari specializing in Nikon models has helped me to get back on track after a time of inactivity.
Professional "hands on" help and instruction were ever present during the session.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I saw lot of attractions,National History Museum,the Monument,and the White House ,I went to the great mosque of Washington too