“Washington Cherry Blossoms”

US$99.00*
Icons of Capitol Hill Photo Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day outdoor photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to hundreds of clients every month on local and domestic outdoor itineraries. Since 1999, over 33,600 amateur photographers have been trained on 4,800 safaris by Washington Photo Safari, 9,200 of them as repeat clients returning for two or more of the 140 safari itineraries that we offer. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on instruction to amateur and professional photographers in such techniques as travel, architectural, nighttime, real estate, portrait, child, food and product work, water drop, long-lens nature work, stacked focus, smoke photography, green screen and studio use, composition, museum interior and artwork, abstract, multiple exposure, and event photography. Due to favorable customer reviews. Washington Photo Safari has received three certificates of Excellence from Trip Advisor in 2013, 2014 and again in 2015, and was recently featured in a full page article in the Sunday Travel Section of the Chicago Tribune. Its founder and director is E.David Luria, an architectural photographer whose work has appeared in over 100 publications and calendars. Fluent in Spanish, French, German and English, Mr Luria is a US Army veteran, an honors graduate of Amherst College, and received his photography training through the New York Institute of Photography and in Paris at the Parson School of Design with a protege of Henri Cartier Bresson.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I had been with David Luria on a previous outing to Washington buildings and monuments so when we were offered a 2 for 1 on Groupon, I got my wife to come along. She's the artistic photographer and she got coached on a lot of technical details. I got coaching on composition and posing people to make great travel photos. Super outing - go if you can.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife got me the Cherry Blossom Photo Safari as a gift. This was at least the 5th outing I have done with Washington Photo Safari. They are always instructive and enjoyable. We had reserved this one months in advance, and as it turned out, the weather was cool and cloudy and the cherry blossoms had not bloomed yet. Still, it was very worthwhile, and I got some good photography pointers from this.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Really enjoyed the Cherry Blossom photo safari. You're guaranteed to learn how to utilize DSLR features that you've probably never used before (unless you're a pro). Learn a little - shoot a lot! Learn a little more - shoot a lot more! That's how the morning went with each new nugget of information adding to the last and resulting in fabulous photos! If you want to learn how to become more familiar and more comfortable with the array of options available on your DSLR then Washington Photo Safari is for you. Will definitely return for future photo safaris!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had a great time. I'm already an intermediate user of my DSLR so I didnt need much of the technical instruction but I did appreciate the guides pointing out interesting historic spots and vantage points for pics, etc...
I would suggest allowing AMPLE time to get to the meeting location if you attend during a major festival in DC. It took me almost 45minutes to walk from the nearest Metro stop and taking a taxi would have been even longer.
Do it! You'll have a great time :)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Not only did David give us excellent tips about how to make better photos, he also seemed to be familiar with many camera brands and was able to help us figure out how to do things when the owner's manual had skipped a few steps. Very interesting seeing well known sites though the eyes of a professional photographer...I'll never look at them the same way again. Also appreciated the mini-history lessons he threw in. BTW, you take a car or cab between sites so the walking is only about 1/2 mile over 3 hours. Now I finally understand the relationship between depth of field and F stops! Thanks!

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We are so glad this client enjoyed the photo safari and found it helpful to improving her skills in photography. Having hosted over 29,500 participants in the past 15 years, our instructors know most of the menus of all the cameras and can explain exactly what DOES that little doodad do?

Our approach is hand-on training, giving instruction while the client is taking pictures, so that the client's own fingers do the walking needed to fix a picture that is too dark, too light, wrong color, too blurry, or too boring. We believe that a person can take good (or bad) pictures with ANY camera, so we invite people at any skill level to attend with whatever camera they have.

Beginner photographers appreciate the in-depth information we give on F stops and shutter speeds. Intermediate sk-ill photographers welcome the tips we give on creative use of filters and white balance, or shooting on Manual Mode. Advanced photographers appreciate our knowledge of the most photogenic sites and the exclusive access we provide to venues not generally available to the public.