“Best meal of my trip”
Review of Graffiato

Graffiato
Reserve with OpenTable
Graffiato is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Oh my goodness!! Started with bread and the glorious pepperoni sauce, then had the gnocchi with pork ragu.. Oh! Finished with great gelato. This was hands down the best meal I had in Washington and would love to go back again and again!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

A wonderful variety of Mediterranean themed foods. We were a group of eight and the variety was excellent. The grilled Octopus was memorable and the roasted Cauliflower was delicious. We had repeat orders of the Agnolotti. Not a dish disappointed.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've been to Graffiato several times and it has never disappointed. The food is delicious, the atmosphere to awesome, the service is (usually) on point. I felt like our server was rushing us out the door during our last visit. One of the things I love about Graffiato is that it is small plates and you can space your dishes out. Normally it's a very relaxing experience. Our server must have had other ideas - I think she waited all of 5 minutes between ordering our first and second courses, so all our food came out at once. After we finished our meal she kept eye-balling us from the back of the restaurant. I get that it was a Friday evening and the place was busy, but we were still ordering drinks and paying customers. No need to rush us out. The food is perfect though. Always get the flat bread with pepperoni sauce. Always. The cream cheese croutons make the caesar salad. Our favorite is the White House pizza - the black pepper honey is addictive. The best part of the meal though? Burnt marshmallow gelato. Oh my word. Absolutely divine. We'll be back - I won't let one bad server ruin what has become one of my fiance and I's favorite restaurants.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Honestly, I’m hesitant to share how great Graffiato’s happy hour is. It’s really great. 4-7 p.m. and sometimes slightly difficult to find a seat at the bar. The happy hour menu offers $5 seasonal cocktails (some of them creative and different, though all we‘ve tried so far have been delicious) and prosecco. Little plates are in the $4-6 range. The avocado, crispy prosciutto, and hazelnut crostini are divine. The crab tobiko (roe) crostini are a close second along with the arancini (deep fried risotto balls). Yummy! If you saw owner Mike Isabella on Top Chef, you’ll recognize the pepperoni sauce, which is also included on the happy hour menu. Kudos and thanks to Graffiato for sharing and passing out postcards with Mike’s pepperoni sauce recipe!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

With the opening of the -- what is now called the Verizon Center -- a dozen or so years back, the section of DC that was ChinaTown has transformed itself into Penn Quarter. This area roughly the blocks that are North of Penn.; South of Mass. and spanning 6th - 8th aves, is chock-a-block of things to do and places to eat.

From the International Spy Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Museum of Crime and Punishment; and the FBI there is no lack of entertainment. The area also boasts food choices that span from well-regarded national chains: HIll Country, Carmine's, Capitol Grille, Fado to popular local chains: Matchbox, Clydes and Austin Grill to those started celebrity chefs: Jose Andres - Jaleo, Minibar, oyamel. Vikram Sunderam - Raskia Fabio Trabocchi - Fiola and for this review Mike Isabella for Graffiato.

I went there for lunch recently by myself and sat at the bar. While the place does have loud music playing - the bartender alluded to it when he couldn't hear my questions -- the industrial chic design makes for a fun ambiance. I could have sat at the bar that overlooked the kitchen and the guy making the pizza. I did watch him at work, and could he throw that dough.

I was interested in ordering the express lunch for $20. With a first course, main and desert it's a great deal. Also, for $5 you could get a glass of wine. This is really a steal in that the cheapest wine by the glass on the menu was $10. Alas, you could not get the $5 wine without the lunch, nor would they make any substitions. I was not interested in desert, so ordered ala cart, but considering that each of my orders cost $9, I should have gone with the express and taken the desert home for my kids.

That being said, I ordered the Cucumber Gazpacho and the snap peas. The name doesn't really do them justice. The Gazpacho presentation started with a bowl with sliced cucumbers on the bottom with what appeared to be crab foam, tobiko (flying fish roe) and perhaps fried basil. The server then poured a pureed soup over the top. The textures and the bite were perfect.

The snap peas were like nothing I had ever had before. While the menu called them snap peas, and I was expecting sugar snap, these were more like snow peas. Snow in and of themself are not my favorite, I usually find them a little bitter, these took on a whole new persona. It was served with peanuts, a giardiniera of yellow wax beans and tiny cauliflower, saba (a reduced grape from italy that is brown, syrupy with almost a sweet, concentrated flavor and smoked brown butter ricotta. Truely remarkable.