“Great staff, huge convention hotel, convenient to Metro, nice neighborhood”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #101 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Anchorage
“Great staff, huge convention hotel, convenient to Metro, nice neighborhood”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. The staff is very friendly and helpful! The room was very comfortable. Amenities included a refrigerator (not an honor bar, a real fridge), flat screen tv, quiet air conditioner, iPhone dock/clock radio, hair dryer, Bath & Body Works toiletries, in-room coffee that actually tastes decent. Good food in the restaurants. Internet is free for Marriott Rewards members. The Metro is onsite, and there are restaurants galore and convenience stores within walking distance (National Zoo & Cathedral, too). My only complaint is that the walls are very thin. You can hear everything - everything! - that happens in the hallway and the rooms next door.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear MarvinAnchorage,
Thank you for spending the week with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the in-room amenities including the Iphone dock, flat screen TV and coffee maker. We strive to make each room feel as though its as close to a “home away from home” experience as possible. It sounds as though you were busy with the conference but with the metro being so close and the great restaurants right outside our doors, I hope you had a chance to really experience a bit of DC. We look forward to seeing you back next time!

Dan Nadaeu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I really like this place.particularly for a business meeting. . I like that I was close to the escalator on the mezzanine deck. Others might not because it's noisy. But you get to things quickly. I walked in a large gracious room done in while golds reds and blacks. The mirror was a fitted circle tuft. The office chair a mix of gold squares. The wood furniture would fit in my living room. It's solid espresso tinted with black granite tops. The beds are very soft with comfy pillow of different depths and sizes. I had to ask for a blanket because I get cold and the maid brought not only 1 but a sheet to wrap it in.
She brought extra coffee pods (which taste better than most hotel coffee maker coffee) They serve Illy downstairs and it is as near perfect a cup as you will ever taste. On my first night I had two teas in my tea box. No teas were there my second night. Ah well. Note... they charge 12.95 for internet in the room unless you are a member of Marriott's rewards card.. Although you can go on line for free in the lobby.

I ate in the pub the first night . I had a lovely delicious salad but the chef forgot to add bacon. I didn't bother him to bring them since I started eating ti with the sweetened walnuts and raspberries and goad cheese. I told the staff but didn't want it since it was late and I was almost finished. But still very good. It was a nice way to say goodnight.

I consider this type of hotel fancy hotel for the conference set. It's nice. it meets your needs. There a bar and'/or a restaurant, a pool or spa area, and of course lots of meeting rooms. This place has it all in a quaint neighborhood that is fun to walk around in. I also enjoyed walking the ten minutes to the zoo. I ate at Mediterna, a street sized place offering hummus and wrapped leaves. I can't wait to see what I discover tomorrow.

The subway is just down the hill at the front of the hotel. It's so handy that we are only a few stops away from places you want to go. Figuring out the machine for tokens take a brilliant 13 year old boy. Also down the streets are quaint shops and stores. Good restauranteurs were lining the street but so was a gratuitous MacDonald.

The mall is so safe and has many FREE museums. I can't wait. I've seen most but are missing some. I love the city!

Room Tip: Ask for the grand old side overlookin the swimming pool. Not the building where the conference room...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Thank you Iteteri!
Your response was wonderful to read. I was overjoyed that you found our guest rooms so well decorated and the pillows and bed so comfortable. Your overall experience really highlighted some wonderful features of our hotel, such as the location and proximity to the zoo and metro station. We always love to hear from guests and this response will certainly be passed along to our team in Harry’s Pub and Housekeeping. We hope to see you again soon!
Crossroads, TX
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Was a nice hotel for the conference. However conference facilities seemed a bit dated. And some of the smaller meeting rooms even seemed a bit claustrophobic with drapes on the side walls.

The bar area was very nice with public computer access easy to use. The front desk staff was professional and very nice. However, some of the custodial staff needs a lesson in customer service as I walked down the very long hallway to my room and had to wait for them to maneuver a mattress into a room.

The rooms were adequate and the bathroom was nice and big. Fairly simply appointed. The grounds were beautiful as the tulips were in full bloom and gorgeous.

Did not make it to the pool, or the older part of the hotel, but it seemed like a great place. Was within walking distance to the National Cathedral and Zoo, both definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't want to hike down a long hall.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear TX_adventure_Girl,
Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay with The Marriott Wardman Park. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and we take the opinions and suggestions from our valued guests in to constant consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and hopefully next time you get a chance to enjoy our wonderful outdoor pool and deck area.

Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Thank goodness for second impressions. The drive up area was incredibly crowded and was not staffed well enough. I wanted to self park and the signs pointed to the front entrance. After 15 minutes of sitting in my car waiting for someone to address us, I found out that self parking was on the back side of the hotel - if you plan to self park, call the hotel and get directions to the garage instead.
Once in the hotel, all was good. There was a big convention going on, but everything at check in went smoothly. Our room was in the old section of the hotel, which is a bit of a hike (and in the opposite direction from the parking garage), but it is a beautiful old building, well maintained, and very quiet.
Our room was nice, clean, and big enough. I had requested extra towels on the online concierge service prior to my stay - this didn't happen. I was able to get them later.
The pool was nice, but it was out of towels (apparently the laundry closed down during the July 4th weekend, and they couldn't get caught back up).
The best part of our stay was the price - we had the zoo package, and it included self parking (saved $28/day), breakfast for all of us which was a nice buffet, and the kids ate free for all other meals. If you have kids with you, this deal is definitely worth it.
The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk to the zoo, and is right beside the metro on the red line.

Room Tip: go to the hotel site and get the escape national zoo package. the old section is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Dear Davidwats,
Thank you for taking the time to give us the details of your stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay in our historic Wardman Tower and had the chance to take advantage of the wonderful zoo package! It really is a wonderful deal and offers some great extra amenities with the rate. We will continue to work on improvements with the parking and look forward to WOWing you during your next stay with us.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Maybe it is different in what part of your hotel you stay in, but my hall was incredibly noisy. You heard every kid running up & down the hall at 11:30pm with parents that didn't care how much noise they made.
And, the foam pillows were HARD. Usually nice hotels have too soft pillows, but these were as close to rocks as I have ever tried to sleep upon. Finally got up & rolled up a towel to put up under my head. Called the next morning & they offered me feather pillows instead.
Maybe the foam was just really old, but it was really hard; and I've slept on a lot of pillows in my life. Other than that, was nice surroundings, and the best pizza I've ever eaten was at the Italian pizza pallor down the street, next to the dry cleaners. Awesome cheese. Went back twice.

1 Thank okieroper
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Okieroper of Copalis Beach, Washington,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! I was disappointed to hear that your recent stay with our hotel was less than desirable. I apologize and I would like to hear more information on how we can make your future stays more comfortable. A member of our management team will be in contact with you personally and would appreciate any further feedback you might have.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My husband and I booked a night with Priceline's "name your own price" feature and our bid was picked up by the Marriott Wardman Park. I was nervous at first because I saw this whole huge story about some major GOP convention having been there in January and everyone having bedbug bites. Understandably I kind of freaked out and I contacted the management with my concerns. They replied promptly and courteously, gave me quite a bit of info on how they deal with those kinds of situations and apparently the story was rather unfounded. So we decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the extremely nice front desk staff and allowed to check in 2 hours early. Our room was neat and clean (with the exception of one old pillow which I removed from the bed). We inspected every inch of the room for bedbugs and found absolutely nothing. Everything was spotless. True, as many reviewers before have pointed out, there was no view from the room and the towels were scratchy but I wasn't there to gaze out the window and the towels were clean so I didn't care. I didn't observe any nasty attitudes from any of the hotel staff despite having read reviews about it before going. In fact, every person on staff that I dealt with was exceedingly nice and helpful.

All in all this was a great hotel. It's across from the Metro, has beautiful gardens to walk in and allows you to be in the heart of the city without feeling bombarded by traffic all the time. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Eddie's Cafe chinese across the street. YUM!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear CristenK of Brooklyn,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the effort to post your experience on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel, and that our team was not only exceedingly nice, but helpful and courteous as well. It is always wonderful to hear feedback in order to work on constant improvements in providing a memorable and comfortable stay for our valued guests. I will certainly pass along the compliments to our team, specifically the Housekeeping, and Front Office departments.

Once again, thank you for choosing The Marriott Wardman Park and I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,
Iowan
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We chose to stay at the Wardman Park Marriott simply because of it's proximity to the National Zoo, but boy are we glad we did! It's a lovely hotel with great staff. We had a room in the Central Tower, which must cut down on the confusion. I had read other reviews that said it was hard to find your way around, but we had no problems. We had a room with 2 double beds, both very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but the room was good sized overall. Not a great view, but that's not necessary for me.

We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant both mornings of our stay-fantastic! Great selection of fresh fruits, pastries, hot items, and an omelet and waffle station. Easy walk to the zoo unless it's very hot day, in which case you'll be hot at the zoo anyway. Such is summer in DC. One recommendation for the hotel would be to look into the packages available. Many include parking and breakfast, which saves a bundle. Also, if you're a Marriott Rewards member, the internet is free. It's free to sign up as a member, so why not! The only thing I'd change would be to have an indoor pool rather than outdoor, but that's personal preference. We still enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Look into available packages
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family