“Huge Hotel, Perfect Location, Great Facilities, Noisy Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
West Babylon, New York
“Huge Hotel, Perfect Location, Great Facilities, Noisy Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in July, 2011 for a union conference. The American Federation of teachers holds this every 2 years and thousands of members from all over the country attend. The hotel did an amazing job handling all of the accommodations, tech equipment, and facilitating the breakout room activities. For business/conventions this hotel gets a thumbs up. Special thumbs up to Jonathan at the front desk, who helped us out with payment, room check-in, and answered over a dozen questions about where to cash checks! Superb hospitality!

The hotel itself is HUGE. I found it very easy to get lost, but there are signs everywhere to get you where you are going. I did find time to walk around and scope out the place. The Wardman tower is in the original, old building. Here you find exposed brick and many historical references and objects. This is also where the pool is located. It seemed to be a nice size with ample room for chairs and loungers. The grounds of the resort are gorgeous--very well-maintained and aesthetically pleasing.

The rooms are my one gripe. Those located near the elevators/vending machines are very noisy, as you can hear everything going on in the hallways. I was also able to hear the cars and trucks out on the street. Granted, this is not the fault of the hotel, but when you are in seminars for 12 hours a day, it would be nice to have peace and quiet for sleep.

The location was amazing, right above the Woodley Park/National Zoo stop on the red line of the DC Metro. Its only 4 stops from Union Station. The food in the hotel is very expensive and not too good, so make the best of the many restaurants on the block. There is an eatery for every palate out there! The hop-on, hop-off tour bus stops just outside the hotel, as does the public bus that hits all the main attractions around DC. Plus, the National Zoo is only about 3 blocks away.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to business and leisure travelers alike. Just request a room away from the vending/ice machines and elevators.

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevators and vending areas. Wardman tower rooms have the most character a...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

I wrote a review because I appreciated others taking time to do one for me earlier. Their responses made me plan better and feel more at ease with the hotel I got.

Checkin is 4pm. We got there early, around 1pm. However due to so many folks there for conferences, we did not get our room until 3:50pm. The hotel called our phone to let us know if was ready. The staff was nice. They had a kids check in area (coloring book,crayons).
This hotel is worth your money if you get it at a lower price through priceline. I got it for $160 during peak season when hotel price on all sites was around $269. The rooms were smaller. Each has a refrigerator in it. Beds good. The pool (outdoor only) is located at the Towers, which I believe if more of an efficiency part of the hotel. Plenty of conferences are held back to back there, large named organizations. The food is expensive. It has two restaurants, lounge area, and a quick foods service location, a jewelry store, enterprise car rental, gift store. The fitness room was large. They have a dry sauna in the fitness room and a pool.

Restaurants in walking distance (like literally out of the drive way: McDonalds, and Irish pub, Baskin Robbins, and other cultural food restaurants like Indian, Italian, Mexican, etc. Chipotle is there as well. CVS drug store is right there also.

The zoo is a few blocks north of the hotel, walking distance, on the right. There is a movie theatre a few blocks from the zoo on the left. However, beware it cost us $42 for 2 adults and one child, but we saw the only movie they were showing, 3D Transformers. Popcorn was $14 for refills on large drink and popcorn.

The neighborhood was nice and safe.

The parking, well, the hotel charges $32 a day for you to park your car. We did not move ours at all.

I loved the trip. We spent money on the hotel and food, but we took a bus tour (air conditione) for 1/2 day through DC spots. It ran us $90 for a family of 3 but was worth it being dropped off and getting narrations from veteran driving our bus (DC trails). They picked up us at the hotel. Also, it was smoking hot outside. We took the metro to the Mall and walked to the various museums (free). McDonalds food court is in the Space Museum. Food is high. Every museum checks your bags so its not like you can really sneak in food if you know what I mean. Have a back up plan.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Anchorage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. The staff is very friendly and helpful! The room was very comfortable. Amenities included a refrigerator (not an honor bar, a real fridge), flat screen tv, quiet air conditioner, iPhone dock/clock radio, hair dryer, Bath & Body Works toiletries, in-room coffee that actually tastes decent. Good food in the restaurants. Internet is free for Marriott Rewards members. The Metro is onsite, and there are restaurants galore and convenience stores within walking distance (National Zoo & Cathedral, too). My only complaint is that the walls are very thin. You can hear everything - everything! - that happens in the hallway and the rooms next door.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear MarvinAnchorage,
Thank you for spending the week with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the in-room amenities including the Iphone dock, flat screen TV and coffee maker. We strive to make each room feel as though its as close to a “home away from home” experience as possible. It sounds as though you were busy with the conference but with the metro being so close and the great restaurants right outside our doors, I hope you had a chance to really experience a bit of DC. We look forward to seeing you back next time!

Dan Nadaeu
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I really like this place.particularly for a business meeting. . I like that I was close to the escalator on the mezzanine deck. Others might not because it's noisy. But you get to things quickly. I walked in a large gracious room done in while golds reds and blacks. The mirror was a fitted circle tuft. The office chair a mix of gold squares. The wood furniture would fit in my living room. It's solid espresso tinted with black granite tops. The beds are very soft with comfy pillow of different depths and sizes. I had to ask for a blanket because I get cold and the maid brought not only 1 but a sheet to wrap it in.
She brought extra coffee pods (which taste better than most hotel coffee maker coffee) They serve Illy downstairs and it is as near perfect a cup as you will ever taste. On my first night I had two teas in my tea box. No teas were there my second night. Ah well. Note... they charge 12.95 for internet in the room unless you are a member of Marriott's rewards card.. Although you can go on line for free in the lobby.

I ate in the pub the first night . I had a lovely delicious salad but the chef forgot to add bacon. I didn't bother him to bring them since I started eating ti with the sweetened walnuts and raspberries and goad cheese. I told the staff but didn't want it since it was late and I was almost finished. But still very good. It was a nice way to say goodnight.

I consider this type of hotel fancy hotel for the conference set. It's nice. it meets your needs. There a bar and'/or a restaurant, a pool or spa area, and of course lots of meeting rooms. This place has it all in a quaint neighborhood that is fun to walk around in. I also enjoyed walking the ten minutes to the zoo. I ate at Mediterna, a street sized place offering hummus and wrapped leaves. I can't wait to see what I discover tomorrow.

The subway is just down the hill at the front of the hotel. It's so handy that we are only a few stops away from places you want to go. Figuring out the machine for tokens take a brilliant 13 year old boy. Also down the streets are quaint shops and stores. Good restauranteurs were lining the street but so was a gratuitous MacDonald.

The mall is so safe and has many FREE museums. I can't wait. I've seen most but are missing some. I love the city!

Room Tip: Ask for the grand old side overlookin the swimming pool. Not the building where the conference room...
      Cleanliness
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Thank you Iteteri!
Your response was wonderful to read. I was overjoyed that you found our guest rooms so well decorated and the pillows and bed so comfortable. Your overall experience really highlighted some wonderful features of our hotel, such as the location and proximity to the zoo and metro station. We always love to hear from guests and this response will certainly be passed along to our team in Harry’s Pub and Housekeeping. We hope to see you again soon!
Crossroads, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Was a nice hotel for the conference. However conference facilities seemed a bit dated. And some of the smaller meeting rooms even seemed a bit claustrophobic with drapes on the side walls.

The bar area was very nice with public computer access easy to use. The front desk staff was professional and very nice. However, some of the custodial staff needs a lesson in customer service as I walked down the very long hallway to my room and had to wait for them to maneuver a mattress into a room.

The rooms were adequate and the bathroom was nice and big. Fairly simply appointed. The grounds were beautiful as the tulips were in full bloom and gorgeous.

Did not make it to the pool, or the older part of the hotel, but it seemed like a great place. Was within walking distance to the National Cathedral and Zoo, both definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't want to hike down a long hall.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear TX_adventure_Girl,
Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay with The Marriott Wardman Park. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and we take the opinions and suggestions from our valued guests in to constant consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and hopefully next time you get a chance to enjoy our wonderful outdoor pool and deck area.

Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Thank goodness for second impressions. The drive up area was incredibly crowded and was not staffed well enough. I wanted to self park and the signs pointed to the front entrance. After 15 minutes of sitting in my car waiting for someone to address us, I found out that self parking was on the back side of the hotel - if you plan to self park, call the hotel and get directions to the garage instead.
Once in the hotel, all was good. There was a big convention going on, but everything at check in went smoothly. Our room was in the old section of the hotel, which is a bit of a hike (and in the opposite direction from the parking garage), but it is a beautiful old building, well maintained, and very quiet.
Our room was nice, clean, and big enough. I had requested extra towels on the online concierge service prior to my stay - this didn't happen. I was able to get them later.
The pool was nice, but it was out of towels (apparently the laundry closed down during the July 4th weekend, and they couldn't get caught back up).
The best part of our stay was the price - we had the zoo package, and it included self parking (saved $28/day), breakfast for all of us which was a nice buffet, and the kids ate free for all other meals. If you have kids with you, this deal is definitely worth it.
The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk to the zoo, and is right beside the metro on the red line.

Room Tip: go to the hotel site and get the escape national zoo package. the old section is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Dear Davidwats,
Thank you for taking the time to give us the details of your stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay in our historic Wardman Tower and had the chance to take advantage of the wonderful zoo package! It really is a wonderful deal and offers some great extra amenities with the rate. We will continue to work on improvements with the parking and look forward to WOWing you during your next stay with us.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Maybe it is different in what part of your hotel you stay in, but my hall was incredibly noisy. You heard every kid running up & down the hall at 11:30pm with parents that didn't care how much noise they made.
And, the foam pillows were HARD. Usually nice hotels have too soft pillows, but these were as close to rocks as I have ever tried to sleep upon. Finally got up & rolled up a towel to put up under my head. Called the next morning & they offered me feather pillows instead.
Maybe the foam was just really old, but it was really hard; and I've slept on a lot of pillows in my life. Other than that, was nice surroundings, and the best pizza I've ever eaten was at the Italian pizza pallor down the street, next to the dry cleaners. Awesome cheese. Went back twice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank okieroper
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Okieroper of Copalis Beach, Washington,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! I was disappointed to hear that your recent stay with our hotel was less than desirable. I apologize and I would like to hear more information on how we can make your future stays more comfortable. A member of our management team will be in contact with you personally and would appreciate any further feedback you might have.