“Awesome hotel, so happy the HSUS went back there.”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is the second year for the Taking Action for Animals Conference presented by the Humane Society of the U.S. to be held at this hotel and it was part of the reason I decided to go this year. This hotel is amazing. The beds are super-comfortable, the staff is friendly and the food is amazing. The chefs went out of their way to make our conference completely vegan and there were even vegan options and Silk soymilk in the cafe. I am so happy to recommend this hotel, it is the epitome of class, value and style.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor for the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

Dear Petwriter,
I want to thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us. Having the Taking Action for Animals Conference at our hotel was such a pleasure! We take pride in catering to special needs and requests from our conference groups and it was no exception with the request for a vegan menu. I personally was extremely proud of our associates that diligently made sure every step of our catering, food and beverage offerings were in fact prepared correctly. I will certainly pass the word along that their work did not go un-noticed. Thank you again for such kind words! I truly hope you get the chance to come visit again next year!

There are newer reviews for Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Came down for 4 nights for a conference. When we arrived about 2:30 after an easy Metro ride, we were told our room wasn't ready yet. We waited around about 45 minutes before they called us and told us the room was ready. Because of the wait we were put in a king suite in the old building. The room was AMAZING! Foyer and walk-in closet at the entryway, living room with two couches, a desk, a flat-screen TV, fridge, and coffee table; then, behind that, a lovely dining room table with chandelier and a nice view. The bathroom had a door in the foyer and connected also to the bedroom, which had another desk, a chair, another TV, two bureaus and a huge, comfy bed. It was amazing--huge and luxurious.

We had a lovely four days. The coffee shop was a fine place for breakfast when the conference didn't provide. The older building is a bit of a walk to the main conference space, but that was not a big deal--maybe allow 3 minutes to get to a meeting. The pool was a nice size, but the deck was often too crowded for a seat to be had, especially on the weekend when there were several conferences. The zoo is an easy walk away. There are also a variety of restaurants right across the street--everything from McDonald's and Baskin-Robbins to fancy French and Lebanese cuisine. It is also an easy walk to the Adams-Morgan neighborhood, which also has nice restaurants and fun bars. The fitness room is quite large and features many cardio and weight machines--beyond the expectations of a hotel gym (It also serves as a sports club during certain hours). There is also a beautiful path along the Potomac just behind the hotel perfect for running or biking.

Dear akey1101
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us, and for sharing the details of our 24 hour gym, and Illy coffee shop. I am so excited to hear that our front desk team was able to set you up with an upgrade to one of our luxurious suites! The Wardman Tower definitely has a unique charm that truly captures that early 1900’s feel while still providing all the modern amenities and comfort that Marriott is well-known for.
We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in July, 2011 for a union conference. The American Federation of teachers holds this every 2 years and thousands of members from all over the country attend. The hotel did an amazing job handling all of the accommodations, tech equipment, and facilitating the breakout room activities. For business/conventions this hotel gets a thumbs up. Special thumbs up to Jonathan at the front desk, who helped us out with payment, room check-in, and answered over a dozen questions about where to cash checks! Superb hospitality!

The hotel itself is HUGE. I found it very easy to get lost, but there are signs everywhere to get you where you are going. I did find time to walk around and scope out the place. The Wardman tower is in the original, old building. Here you find exposed brick and many historical references and objects. This is also where the pool is located. It seemed to be a nice size with ample room for chairs and loungers. The grounds of the resort are gorgeous--very well-maintained and aesthetically pleasing.

The rooms are my one gripe. Those located near the elevators/vending machines are very noisy, as you can hear everything going on in the hallways. I was also able to hear the cars and trucks out on the street. Granted, this is not the fault of the hotel, but when you are in seminars for 12 hours a day, it would be nice to have peace and quiet for sleep.

The location was amazing, right above the Woodley Park/National Zoo stop on the red line of the DC Metro. Its only 4 stops from Union Station. The food in the hotel is very expensive and not too good, so make the best of the many restaurants on the block. There is an eatery for every palate out there! The hop-on, hop-off tour bus stops just outside the hotel, as does the public bus that hits all the main attractions around DC. Plus, the National Zoo is only about 3 blocks away.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to business and leisure travelers alike. Just request a room away from the vending/ice machines and elevators.

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevators and vending areas. Wardman tower rooms have the most character a...
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I wrote a review because I appreciated others taking time to do one for me earlier. Their responses made me plan better and feel more at ease with the hotel I got.

Checkin is 4pm. We got there early, around 1pm. However due to so many folks there for conferences, we did not get our room until 3:50pm. The hotel called our phone to let us know if was ready. The staff was nice. They had a kids check in area (coloring book,crayons).
This hotel is worth your money if you get it at a lower price through priceline. I got it for $160 during peak season when hotel price on all sites was around $269. The rooms were smaller. Each has a refrigerator in it. Beds good. The pool (outdoor only) is located at the Towers, which I believe if more of an efficiency part of the hotel. Plenty of conferences are held back to back there, large named organizations. The food is expensive. It has two restaurants, lounge area, and a quick foods service location, a jewelry store, enterprise car rental, gift store. The fitness room was large. They have a dry sauna in the fitness room and a pool.

Restaurants in walking distance (like literally out of the drive way: McDonalds, and Irish pub, Baskin Robbins, and other cultural food restaurants like Indian, Italian, Mexican, etc. Chipotle is there as well. CVS drug store is right there also.

The zoo is a few blocks north of the hotel, walking distance, on the right. There is a movie theatre a few blocks from the zoo on the left. However, beware it cost us $42 for 2 adults and one child, but we saw the only movie they were showing, 3D Transformers. Popcorn was $14 for refills on large drink and popcorn.

The neighborhood was nice and safe.

The parking, well, the hotel charges $32 a day for you to park your car. We did not move ours at all.

I loved the trip. We spent money on the hotel and food, but we took a bus tour (air conditione) for 1/2 day through DC spots. It ran us $90 for a family of 3 but was worth it being dropped off and getting narrations from veteran driving our bus (DC trails). They picked up us at the hotel. Also, it was smoking hot outside. We took the metro to the Mall and walked to the various museums (free). McDonalds food court is in the Space Museum. Food is high. Every museum checks your bags so its not like you can really sneak in food if you know what I mean. Have a back up plan.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. The staff is very friendly and helpful! The room was very comfortable. Amenities included a refrigerator (not an honor bar, a real fridge), flat screen tv, quiet air conditioner, iPhone dock/clock radio, hair dryer, Bath & Body Works toiletries, in-room coffee that actually tastes decent. Good food in the restaurants. Internet is free for Marriott Rewards members. The Metro is onsite, and there are restaurants galore and convenience stores within walking distance (National Zoo & Cathedral, too). My only complaint is that the walls are very thin. You can hear everything - everything! - that happens in the hallway and the rooms next door.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Dear MarvinAnchorage,
Thank you for spending the week with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the in-room amenities including the Iphone dock, flat screen TV and coffee maker. We strive to make each room feel as though its as close to a “home away from home” experience as possible. It sounds as though you were busy with the conference but with the metro being so close and the great restaurants right outside our doors, I hope you had a chance to really experience a bit of DC. We look forward to seeing you back next time!

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I really like this place.particularly for a business meeting. . I like that I was close to the escalator on the mezzanine deck. Others might not because it's noisy. But you get to things quickly. I walked in a large gracious room done in while golds reds and blacks. The mirror was a fitted circle tuft. The office chair a mix of gold squares. The wood furniture would fit in my living room. It's solid espresso tinted with black granite tops. The beds are very soft with comfy pillow of different depths and sizes. I had to ask for a blanket because I get cold and the maid brought not only 1 but a sheet to wrap it in.
She brought extra coffee pods (which taste better than most hotel coffee maker coffee) They serve Illy downstairs and it is as near perfect a cup as you will ever taste. On my first night I had two teas in my tea box. No teas were there my second night. Ah well. Note... they charge 12.95 for internet in the room unless you are a member of Marriott's rewards card.. Although you can go on line for free in the lobby.

I ate in the pub the first night . I had a lovely delicious salad but the chef forgot to add bacon. I didn't bother him to bring them since I started eating ti with the sweetened walnuts and raspberries and goad cheese. I told the staff but didn't want it since it was late and I was almost finished. But still very good. It was a nice way to say goodnight.

I consider this type of hotel fancy hotel for the conference set. It's nice. it meets your needs. There a bar and'/or a restaurant, a pool or spa area, and of course lots of meeting rooms. This place has it all in a quaint neighborhood that is fun to walk around in. I also enjoyed walking the ten minutes to the zoo. I ate at Mediterna, a street sized place offering hummus and wrapped leaves. I can't wait to see what I discover tomorrow.

The subway is just down the hill at the front of the hotel. It's so handy that we are only a few stops away from places you want to go. Figuring out the machine for tokens take a brilliant 13 year old boy. Also down the streets are quaint shops and stores. Good restauranteurs were lining the street but so was a gratuitous MacDonald.

The mall is so safe and has many FREE museums. I can't wait. I've seen most but are missing some. I love the city!

Room Tip: Ask for the grand old side overlookin the swimming pool. Not the building where the conference room...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2011

Thank you Iteteri!
Your response was wonderful to read. I was overjoyed that you found our guest rooms so well decorated and the pillows and bed so comfortable. Your overall experience really highlighted some wonderful features of our hotel, such as the location and proximity to the zoo and metro station. We always love to hear from guests and this response will certainly be passed along to our team in Harry’s Pub and Housekeeping. We hope to see you again soon!
Dan Nadeau

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Was a nice hotel for the conference. However conference facilities seemed a bit dated. And some of the smaller meeting rooms even seemed a bit claustrophobic with drapes on the side walls.

The bar area was very nice with public computer access easy to use. The front desk staff was professional and very nice. However, some of the custodial staff needs a lesson in customer service as I walked down the very long hallway to my room and had to wait for them to maneuver a mattress into a room.

The rooms were adequate and the bathroom was nice and big. Fairly simply appointed. The grounds were beautiful as the tulips were in full bloom and gorgeous.

Did not make it to the pool, or the older part of the hotel, but it seemed like a great place. Was within walking distance to the National Cathedral and Zoo, both definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't want to hike down a long hall.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Dear TX_adventure_Girl,
Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay with The Marriott Wardman Park. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and we take the opinions and suggestions from our valued guests in to constant consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and hopefully next time you get a chance to enjoy our wonderful outdoor pool and deck area.

Dan Nadeau