“Great conference hotel; near everything! Dining options need a little work.”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Eagle River, Alaska
“Great conference hotel; near everything! Dining options need a little work.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I attended the Academy of Neonatal Nurses conference here earlier this month. What a great choice for a large meeting! The hotel itself is gorgeous and accommodating. The conference facilities were lovely. The room was great. I thought the mini-lobbies by the elevators on each floor were beautiful! The location, as noted by others, by the metro, was superb. The food & beverage offerings were "OK". With three large gatherings (the triathletes, the ANN and the Mother/Baby Nursing conference), they were a bit stressed. I was pleased that I could go to the Woodley Market for my daily latte, but the cost of eating in the hotel was VERY high, even for DC standards. $7 for my 20oz latte, which, of course, I paid, because I was caffeine-deprived! The pub had a good menu, but service was slow and the hostess seemed annoyed that, as a single diner, I wanted to sit at a table instead of the bar. She was like a vulture, waiting until I finished so she could clean the table for the next party. For dining, my advice is to explore the restaurants a block away on Connecticut Avenue or take the Metro one stop to Dupont Circle for a wide variety of eateries.

Room Tip: Main tower rooms are more accessible to conference facilities and entrances. Elevator lobbies on eac...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank alaskalolo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Duxbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

EXCELLENT LOCATION - Near metro or short cab rides everywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for main Bldg Low Floor in back of hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I went to Washington for conference and spent 3 nights in this hotel. Location is superb! From the door to the metro station only a few steps. National Zoo is only 10 minutes walk. Very nice area, many restaurants on Connecticut Ave. From my room on 10th floor I could see the dome of National Capitol, and the Washington Monument was just in front of my eyes. The staff in this hotel just exeptional - every one of them from managers to housekeeping. Rooms were comfortable. Everything I needed I had there. The toiletry high quality (from Bath and Body Works). The bedding was wonderful - soft cotton and dawn. Loved it.
Here it comes - BUT... Unfortunately, after second night in a hotel, I found a bed bug in my bed next to the pillow. Unpleasant surprise. I guess, it happends in any hotel, no matter were the hotel located and how nice it is. The manager moved me to another room and I had a nice complimentary dinner.
Will I stay there again? Not sure. But if you will, just be aware and inspect your bed carefully. Also keep your suitcase above the floor and all your clothes on hangers. I really don't think that this hotel has more bed bugs than others. I did not see any in my new room, and I didn't hear anybody else complained of it. I just was "lucky". I still loved my stay in this hotel. Big part of it - the staff. They are just WONDERFUL!

Room Tip: Some of the room does not have any views - 3097. All you can see from the window is the roof of anot...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tatiana76131
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I would like to start out by saying that the hotel overall was nice, well maintained, and comfortable. It is in a great location, walking distance to the Metra stop. And the conceirge on staff was wonderful and very helpful.

If I could, I would rate the front desk staff negative 5 stars!! I stayed at the Marriott as part of a conference and extended my stay and pre-paid the stay through the organization sponsoring the conference. When I went to check-in, the front desk had no record of my pre-payment, they contacted the representative from my organization later in the day and said that everything was taken care of for my stay. 2 days later, I receive a voicemail that I still needed to provide payment. I walked down to the front desk and explained the situation AGAIN, they contacted the representative from my group and said it was taken care of, AGAIN. Then, when I went to check-out, they charged my credit card for 3 nights even though I explained that it was pre-paid!! The woman at the front desk then looked more carefully at my account and said, "oh, I see right here that the balance was 0.00, I don't know why we charged your card for 3 nights." They immediately reveresed the charge. I then asked, do you know what this pending charge of $366.89 is on my credit card is for? The woman at the front desk said she had nothing on file for these transactions, "I'm sorry." I'm Sorry doesn't really help the fact that I have nearly $400 pending on my credit card on top of the 6 night stay that I pre-paid!

And the icing on the cake, I looked at my credit card balance on line this morning and I have another $100 transaction that was processed as "lodging" that I never authorized or spent! "Sorry" doesn't help the fact that almost $500 is tied up on my credit card and is in the process of being disputed. I will never stay at this Marriott again, in fact, I'm wondering if I will ever stay at a Marriott again period!! Very disappointed!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DenverTravelerKN

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

This hotel-being the largest in DC-has superior customer service.The rooms are spacious and from doorman to housekeeping to maintenance-the service couldn't have been more prompt or courteous. I was there to compete in the Nations triathlon-and this was the host hotel. They accomodated all of us beautifully.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Dear Trigirlflorida,
Thank you so much for your review! It is always wonderful to hear such kind words from our guests. I have already passed along your compliments to the associates through out the hotel.
We are always working hard to provide superior service to our guests and it is a great delight to hear that we are succeeding.
Once again thank you and we hope to see you back again soon

Dan Nadeau
Rostraver, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Just spent 3 nights/4 days at the Wardman in DC - it was great! Very clean, service was good. Our room in the tower was very quiet - i was worried about that as we were there to see our daughter in the Nation's Triathlon - tons of young athletes, but we didn't hear a thing. Food was a little pricy but worth the money, esp the breakfast buffet in the Stone's Throw restaurant. We also took a trip to the National Zoo which was only a 10 minute walk from the Wardman. If you go to the zoo, go early, though, as the Pandas (the main attraction) were napping as they do in the afternoon. As a Roman Catholic, I always want to know where the nearest church is - St. Thomas the Apostle was across the street from the Wardman. No complaints here.

Room Tip: I heard the tower rooms were the best but had no way to judge - ours was fine.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Austin,Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I traveled to DC for a conference in August and had a very enjoyable week at this hotel. I selected this hotel after reading the reviews and price comparing with other hotels. On thing I loved about this besides the looks was its convenient locate to the metrorail, zoo and nightlife.

When entering the hotel I was so amazed at the size of it. I was laughing when I checked in because the the front desk clerk handed me a map and verbal told me how to get to my room. Then as I walked down the hall I saw the 3 D model of the layout.

I like the classic look of the hallways that connected different wings and the chandeliers were awesome. The hotel grounds were beautiful and there is a nice pool and plenty of shady areas to relax in.

I was only able to locate one computer area which at 8 computers located near the bar area and they were free to use.

While there were two weddings, three conferences,family reunion and college 100th birthday celebration.It was amazing how there was enough room for all of those plus the other vacationing people.

The room was spacious and the bed was so comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business