“DC Vacation”

Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Salisbury, NC
“DC Vacation”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The hotel was very nice. It was very convenient for travel around DC. The metro is just across the road. There are shops and restaurants in the hotel. It would be nice if they offered some type of breakfast deal, but there are very good restaurants nearby. The hotel is large and has a very nice decor throughout. The parking garage was convenient, but we did not use our car, during the stay. We were concerned before our stay because there are several reports of bed bugs at this location, but we were very fortunate and had no problems with bed bugs on our 7 th floor room. We were visiting over the Easter holiday. It was a beautiful setting with lots of tulips.

We were at the end of the hall, but were not bothered by the long walk to the elevator. Be aware that this is also the location of lots of conferences, so the lobby may have lots of traffic at times, but it never interfered with our stay at all. We spend a lot of time walking any time we visit DC. Check-in went very smoothly. The front desk staff were very helpful, when we decided to leave a day early, there was no charge for the extra day.

The cleaning staff always provided what we needed for the stay.

I was always pleased that the room was very sound proof because I am a light sleeper.

I don't think the hotel is as close to the zoo, as many reviews describe.

I would recommend the hotel to others, but always check the bed bug registry for rooms that may have had a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for AAA discount. I couldn't believe the great rate for Easter week. I made reservations t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank karensgetaways

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We checked in at 4pm after an 8 hour drive and I reminded the hotel desk clerk we needed extra towels and a rollaway bed. We then left and went look around and when we returned at 6 pm we still did not have a rollaway or extra towels after 6 calls to hotel service we FINALLY got a rollaway at 11pm...my kids were so tired. When we checked out the hotel did not seem too concerned by the issue we had. For a high end hotel chain I would have expected better service also everyone wants a tip even if the roll you luggage 6 feet they have their hand out..

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed for 4 nights for a convention, with my family. We had 2 rooms in the historic Wardman Tower. I was petrified by the many previous bad reviews, in particular the noise level heard inside the rooms because of thin walls & slamming doors. I have to admit that I bugged several people in our organization and then Mary Beth, our hotel liaison, trying to figure out which tower to avoid so I could get a decent night's sleep. She gave us 2 rooms side by side in Wardman, one was actually a Presidential Suite (3300) with 3 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, a huge dining room and a kitchen (thanks Mary Beth!). I'm posting photos of the other, more ordinary room (3302).

The odor downstairs in the sitting area as you approach the elevator is a bit mildew-laden, but the hallway and rooms smelled fine. The AC took me a little fiddling on different settings to keep it on, but I figured it out. We were at the end of the hallway and I did not hear too much outside noise. The decor of the rooms is quaint and attractive. Counter space in the bathroom is limited. Room service arrived quickly and the food was fine. We checked in very late due to plane delays. Check-in was fast (no line) and the woman gave us a few "landmarks" so we could find the Wardman tower easily. I did not find the walk excessively long, and it took us past the little market that served breakfast & lunch items and drinks.

Our convention offered a meal plan for some of the meals. The hotel food served buffet style was just OK, nothing great. We did visit an Afghan restaurant along the little restaurant row nearby the hotel which was terrific. We had a late dinner at Harry's Pub that was good. Our last meal was lunch at Stone's Throw, good food but quite slow service.

Overall, a good stay, much better than anticipated. One suggestion to the hotel, please set up some coffee/snack carts adjacent to the Woodley Market to cut down on long lines of conventioneers waiting to buy coffee & snacks/meals. You would make a lot more $ (as often people have to drop out of long lines in order to get to their meetings) and reduce the frustration of potential food purchasers.

Room Tip: Rooms at end of hallway in Wardman tower (eg 3302) are more isolated/quiet and they overook gardens...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Hotel consists of newer central tower and the historic Wardman tower. I stayed in the Wardman tower and was impressed by the large size of the rooms and great views of the city. Building is historic and has a very beautiful lobby. The gardens around the pool are fantastic. A short metro ride ride to many museums/attractions. Metro station is right on the corner. About an hour walk from hotel to downtown. Neighborhood is very nice and has many restaurants close by. Only gripe with hotel is that the parking is quite expensive at $39/night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank R S
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed here two nights and had no complaints. Rooms not very large or fancy but were clean and adequate. We stayed in main tower. front desk staff, Tami, Chelsea and Rama were all very helpful and pleasant

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Carolpetz
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We booked this through Priceline (bid $81/night) and for the price, I would say we got quite a deal. The lobby and restaurants are very nice. We ate breakfast everyday in the hotel and the service was great.

Our room was located in the older part of the hotel. While the room was clean, the AC could barely keep the room cool at full blast all day (granted it was 96 degrees outside). The bathrooms need some updating but were sufficient for us. I'm 5'3" and it would probably have been too low of a shower head for someone that is 5'6" or taller.

Our housekeeper did an ok job but kept shorting us towels (like one washcloth for two people) and never brought more than 1 bar of soap for three nights. Good thing I had some in my suitcase.

The location was perfect (1 minute walk to the Metro) and their bar in the lobby was a nice place to unwind. I would stay here again but only for the $81/night. If I paid the full list price, I would have been irate with what we got.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the newer part of the hotel and away from the pool (very noisy).
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah B
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

Things we liked: great public space, nice pool, nice restaurants, very friendly staff, excellent conference facilities. Things that could have been better: sketchy Wifi, bigger rooms, updated bathroom, especially the showers. Would sty again but only if price is right.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family