“Great hotel; Great location”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Pasco, WA
“Great hotel; Great location”
Reviewed 26 February 2008

I recently stayed at the Wardman Park Marriott while attending a conference there. It was a great stay. I stayed in the newer part of the hotel, and found it very comfortable, and particularly well set up for business travelers, with easy internet access (for a fee) and numerous plug-ins for computer, phone, etc. About a block away there are LOTS of good restaruants to choose from. MeddiTerra has WONDERFUL baklava! Bathroom is good size with yummy-smelling Bath & Bodyworks amenities. This is a HUGE hotel, and ALL of the staff is very accommodating, kind, and responsive. Took a cab from BWI ($85+tip); took the limo back ($50+tip).

• Liked — VERY comfy bed & the in-house Starbucks
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank LIMSPrez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I tagged along with my husband, who attended a convention there. Yes, it's a convention hotel, which means it's supersized so nothing is personal. Good thing was that the Metro is right outside the hotel and it took 5 minutes to get to Downtown, where I went to work everyday. Area seemed safe enough when I came back from work close to midnight one night.

If I had the choice, I wouldn't stay there again, whether it be for work or play, unless I'm attending a convention there. It's not within walking distance from downtown (work) and it's too busy to relax (vacation).

• Liked — Metro is outside the hotel property
  • Disliked — Size of hotel. Too XL.
1 Thank winter_turtle
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 February 2008

We are staying at the Marriott Wardman Park as I write this review. You can't beat the location -- it is right on top of a metro station and near to many of the restaurants along Connecticut Ave. The bed is comfortable and the maids are good. With that said -- they have some problems at this hotel.

The first night we arrived, picked up a room key and went in search of our room.... Thirty minutes later we finally found it. There are NO useful signs in the hotel and the front desk does not give out decent directions. A xerox map would be handy. This place is HUGE.

Once we got to the room, we found that it had not been cleaned. The bed was unmade, with trash, etc., so then it was 30 minutes back to the front desk to get the key to a new room.

This new room was on the concierge floor, so it was a better room, closer to the desk and easier to find. It was also missing a refrigerator. (3 days later, still no fridge!) Bathroom is amazingly small, but bedroom area was good.

Self-Parking is sooooo bad at this hotel that I decided to valet park instead (at an increased cost). The self parking lots are creepy -- remote, hard to find from inside the hotel, not well marked, and the parking attendant told me to "just ignore all the violators will be towed signs" and park where ever I wanted. Many of the stalls are reserved for valet but apparently only used during special events. This means that the legitimate parking spots are few & far between. Since I was not willing to risk having the car towed, I just valet parked.

Room service was fine, bar service was fine. The concierge lounge charges for wine, which surprised me somewhat. Internet is 9.95/day in rooms, free in lobby.

Would I stay here again? Only Maybe........

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — can't find anything in the hotel!!!!
1 Thank nahenry
New York
Reviewed 21 February 2008

The room is very nice. It's an average size and was newly refurbished. I must have been there at a slow time because the carpet in the lobby was being replaced and I had to walk on some sort of sticky stuff to get to the elevators. I think the management assumed it was part of the experience, or just didn't know. Once I stepped in some clay or mud, or something else, I decided I didn't want to stay any longer at that specific hotel, but I do like the way Marriott sets up its rooms so I will certainly consider Marriott as a top choice in the future.

• Liked — Nice rooms and good location to Metro
  • Disliked — Renovations ruined my shoes (literally)
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2008

Right from the start, our visit was terrible. When we made the reservations, we asked for a king size bed and a refrigerator but instead we received two double beds and no refrigerator. There was a hole for the refrigerator but that was it. I had to call the front desk three times before a refrigerator was finally brought to my room the day after we checked in.

The room itself is very small and cramped. The bathroom is extremely small and impossible to move about in without hitting something. You cannot get to the shower/tub without shutting the bathroom door and the toilet is right against the front of the tub. Thank goodness my husband and I are not large sized people as they would not be able to use this bathroom.

The television in the room just takes up needed space because it only picks up a handful of channels. The internet connection throughout the hotel is not free. My husband and I travel very often for business and I have yet to come across a major hotel chain that charges for internet service.

Our worst experience came from the hotel restaurant, A Stone's Throw, where we were suppose to have free breakfast each morning. When we checked in, the front desk employee gave us two vouchers and explained to us that they would be used for our free breakfast each morning. The vouchers had an expiration date on them for the day that we checked out. She told us to just show the vouchers to the hostess when we entered the restaurant. We did just that the first morning and everything went smoothly. The hostess told us to keep the vouchers and show them each morning to receive our breakfast. Well, our second morning did not go as smoothly. We showed them to the hostess just as before. Then our server asked for the vouchers and we showed them to him. He then tried to keep the vouchers. He said that they were only good for one breakfast a piece not for all three days. We showed him the expiration date but he still insisted on keeping the vouchers. He told us to go back to the front desk of the hotel and tell them that we needed individual vouchers for each day. He told us that the front desk should have given us 6 breakfast vouchers, one for each day for each person. So, after breakfast, we headed back to the front desk and explained to the employee what just happened in the restaurant. She said that was not correct and that the vouchers that we had been given were correct. She told us for the next morning to just give the waiter our room number and everything would be fine. Well, everything was not fine. The next morning, we were sitting in the restaurant eating our breakfast when the server that assisted us the first morning of our visit approached our table and rudely said that we had walked out without paying on Sunday morning. My husband and I were shocked and very angered that she would say such an inappropriate thing and in front of the other guests of the restaurant that were now all looking at us. We explained the situation with the vouchers and then she walked off and returned with our current server. The two servers stood there at our table and argued over the proper procedure for use of the vouchers. My husband asked them to take their conversation else where because we were trying to eat. A few moments later, our server returned and asked to see our vouchers. We told him that he had taken them the day before, (he was also our server the morning before). He said he knew that but that the had told us to go to the front desk and get new vouchers. We told him about our conversation with the desk employee and that she would not give us new vouchers. He then walked off without saying another word. He returned and said he had called the front desk and spoke with the manager. He said that no one at the front desk knew what they were doing concerning the vouchers. He told us that he would take care of the issue. No one ever came back to our table to offer an apology or explanation before we left the restaurant, embarrassed and very mad. We went straight to the front desk and asked for the manager, who was not very friendly and didn't seem very concerned with our issue. He did offer a weak apology. We told him that it should not have been our place to run back and forth between the restaurant and front desk trying to resolve the issue. His only response was that there were lots of new employees in the restaurant and front desk that were not familiar with the proper procedure of the vouchers.

We would never stay at this hotel again! The staff was obviously not concerned with providing an enjoyable stay for their guests. The concierge did not come in each morning until 10:00 am. The first morning that we stayed, our room did not receive maid service. We left early that morning for business and returned around 6:00 PM to find that our room had not been touched. We called the front desk and all they did was offer to send up some fresh towels two hours later!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank kdc31773

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Philadelphia
Reviewed 29 December 2007

Stayed in the modern building as historic Wardman Tower is closed for renovations, for new carpet. Not the same. Prefer the antiques of Wardman Tower. Wardman Tower is also steps from the Metro's elevator. The modern part of the hotel is a little bit more of a walk.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank HistoricHotelFan
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2007

I have stayed at this hotel about 5 times while attending conferences, and all but one stay has been a good experience. it is a large hotel, but clean and well maintained. it is close to a subway stop on the red line which is handy to all the attractions. it also is located on a street with a number of small restuarants. It is about a 10 to 15 minutes walk to the zoo. The only stay I did not enjoy was in a room across from the ice machine and with a connecting door, it was too noisy and we had them move us after only one night.

• Liked — It is clean and well maintained. it is also close to a subway
  • Disliked — if a big conference is there, elevators can be slow and crowded
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business