“Great Location and Big Nice Hotel”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #105 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This hotel is great if you want to be in DC and not in the city center, close to the National Zoo. Very close to the metro station; so your no more than 20 minutes or so from any part of the District. I was upgraded upon arrival and sent to the historic building part of the complex. Huge room with a living and dining suite in addition to the sleeping room. Great to spreadsout work stuff and be productive. The decor was a bit dated, but the size of the room made up for it. The hotel restraunts were ok, but a bit on the high side on price. There are several nice places to eat and get convience items in the area directly around the property. Had a little issue with the velet paking guys, but the rest of the staff were terrific. This is huge property, so if your looking for something small and quaint, this is not it. Great choice for a family vacation in the DC area!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the historic building, if you're looking for something more unique than a s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,633)

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The hotel is very clean, the staff is very nice, and the over all experience was positive. If you are looking for a nice place to stay in D.C. I would recommend you consider this place. It is only a 2-3 minute walk from here to the Woodley Place metro stop. I do have a few disappointments. I heard that this was the largest hotel in Washington and the photos gave me the impression that I was going to a high end facility. For the most part the facility is quite up scale but the rooms - at least in the center tower - were not impressive. Rooms were not very big and there were two double beds rather than two queens. I stayed recently in a few Holiday Inn expresses and preferred those rooms. I was here for a convention/family vacation and got the convention rate of $129/night. When looking for the stairs - as an alternative to the elevator- upon my arrival I was told "I believe the stairs are only for staff." Oh my, I suggest a little bit better training for employees.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was at the hotel for a conference and stayed a number of nights, so I will comment on both the hotel and the conference facilities.

To start, the staff was great. Always super friendly, and in the conference area, very helpful (the area is large with rooms all over the place - they had people stationed and they would walk up to anyone looking around and ask where you needed to go).

Most of my comments are small, but I put them here in case they are your pet peeves...

With regards to the rooms, they are big and clean (comfy bed), so generally good. The major complaints I had were the lack of sound proofing and the shower. I could easily hear the people in the room next to me and the hallway (and I don't believe they were speaking loudly). It was not terrible (did not keep me up), but it seemed a bit unusual. The shower is my pet peeve. I love a nice hot shower in the morning. This shower had two options - either a very concentrated stream of water (about the size of a quarter) beating down on me, or a spray that went everywhere but towards the center. Now, the water was always hot (even at a busy time of the morning with a lot of people there for a conference), it was just not the most pleasant.

The concierge area was nice. They always had fresh fruit. One night I came up a few minutes too late, but they let me come in and grab the bottle of water I was hoping to get (again, great service).

As for location - it is right off the metro, which is nice. But just in case it is important to you - from the metro to the hotel is very uphill (might not be the easiest for some people depending on amount of luggage and such).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The hotel was very nice, and the staff very friendly. I was here on business for a conference and they did a great job. The hotel is within walking distance to other shops and restaurants, as well as the metro subway. You can walk out the door and take the subway to downtown in 10 mins. Decent place to stay and great area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

A bit tardy on this review: Stayed at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel for a late March 2013 conference. Why do I do this? Every time I stay at a Marriott for this spring conference (all in different cities), I say: LAME! Oh, so lame!

Arrived @2am--and they gave us (the husband & I) a two-bed room (requested a single king bed). The front desk guy kept asking us if we wanted 2 separate receipts, assuming we were colleagues. Nice of him to ask...

They shoved us in the basement, right next to the parking lot....really bad room/noisy.

This hotel is ENORMOUS--but the amenities are truly lacking....the restaurant/bar service was lame, the room was lame, the facilities for the conference were okay...

The price? Too high...even though I received a conference rate.

Basic rule: Next time your conference is booked at a Marriott, go to a nearby hotel for a better experience.

Room Tip: Re-confirm your request & make sure you're not on the ground floor!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RebelTraveler07
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times for conventions and I can't understand the complaints. I have always had a clean room, attentive staff and an issues I had were cleared up immediately. Yes, the food in the hotel can be expensive but there are many options right outside the hotel. The concierge lounge always has a number of choices for breakfast and evening snacks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the center tower.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference and it was a relatively good experience except for a few things. Hotel restaurants were WAY overpriced so, I chose to eat in nearby neighborhood restaurants. Housekeeping never vacuumed the room the entire 5 days I was there. I never saw or heard a vacuum cleaner. Seems a bit odd. In room internet at 13.00 a day is a rip-off. And, beware that if you log on in the evening, it doesn't carry over to the next day....it's for all or part of that day you log-on. It doesn't say this ANYWHERE so, I promptly complained to the front desk an had the one day charge removed from my bill. Better to use your Smartphone or the computers in the lobby. The walls are very thin as I found out the first night by the next room deciding to have a lot of people in at 3 AM. Frustrating that situation even more was not being able to find a number to call the front desk from the room. Even dialing 0 got me nowhere. Stairways are almost non-existent in this huge facility. I wanted to use stairs up and down from my room on the second floor but there were none near the elevators. They were all the way at the far ends of the corridors. And, as huge a place as this is, that's a long way away from the elevators. The location is great in the Woodley Park neighborhood. Plentiful restaurants and a CVS are all within a block. Metro station is right out the back door of the hotel. This is a good hotel. But, with a little tweaking, it could be a GREAT hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business