“Good location”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #105 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed at the Marriott Washington Wardman Park October 20 - 23, 2013. The hotel is in a great location for food, metro, coffee shops, and 15 min to the downtown attractions. It is a three min walk to the National Zoo. The hotel could focus a little more on the lobby area the furniture appears to be a little dated. The parking will cost you $36 dollars a day for overnight parking.

Room Tip: Stayed in the new tower
1  Thank Giseleg G

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I wrote a praising review of this hotel's sleeping room (and their having electrical outlets by the desk and bedside). Well, their conference experience is horrendous. We ordered the highest level of Internet for our 200+ attendees. There wasn't enough bandwidth for that many people, and then the Internet service (wired and wireless) went down for the hotel. The hotel's IT team gave us a "I don't know what to do" shrug of the shoulders and tried to reset the service. They are giving us a credit, but the attendees' experiences were not up to par.

Catering was not responsive when we asked for additional coffee and tea.

I would not recommend this hotel for a conference.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank RichWSanFrancisco_CA
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I wanted to like this hotel, I really did. But I wish I would have paid attention to the reviews.... First for the good points: I got this hotel room bidding through priceline. For the price I paid, I got what I paid for. However I feel bad for the people who paid full price. The location is wonderful. The hotel is within walking distance of the zoo and tons of great places to eat, and the metro. It has on site parking. I don't think I will ever stay in another area. The lobby is impressive, there are so many meeting rooms, and ballrooms and banquet halls. We had a room on the sixth floor and if we turned our head far enough we say the top of the Washington Monument. The person who helped us, I think his name was Daniel, was great. He was happy and helpful and just great.

Now for the negatives. When we got in our room it was muggy. Even with the ac on it was muggy. The hotel had an overall feeling of being old, but not old in a fancy old hotel way. The beds were nothing fancy, the blankets looked worn and about 50 years old. There were burn marks on the curtains, mold on the ceiling about the shower, hair on the ceiling and the floor (not just any sort of hair either). The vents were old and dusty and half painted. With a little more cleaning and a few new blankets and a touch up of paint things would have been improved greatly.

And then there was the room next door. I'm not sure how much of this was the people in the room's fault or extremely thin walls, but I think it is probably a combination of both. The room next to mine blared their television the entire night. They turned it off at 6 am the next morning. I won't ponder to guess what they were doing but there was running in the halls and slamming doors all night. I slept about 2 hours and was up at 4 am literally crying I was so frustrated. The next morning I wanted to just leave and go home. Luckily faithfully optimistic Daniel at the front desk listened to me and refunded my parking, which was nice.

I guess all in all the location is great, the rooms need updating, if you aren't picky this is an excellent choice, but if you are a stickler for cleanliness and sheets you know are clean, you may want to stay elsewhere.

2  Thank MsTarakD
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Tara909,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that we feel short of your expectations and your stay was less than perfect. I have shared your review with our housekeeping team. I did want to share with you that we have a planned upcoming renovation that will certainly address many of the concerns you have mentioned. I do hope that should your travels bring you back to Washington DC you will give us another opportunity to impress you.

Best regards,
Jim Redington

Reviewed 28 October 2013

While the Marriott Washington Wardman Park Hotel in Washington, DC is a behemoth hotel (I can hardly find my way back to my room), it has two great things going for it: (1) multiple electrical outlets within easy reach of the desk and (2) multiple electrical outlets within easy reach of the bedside table. Combine those items with a good mattress, and this hotel gets a high rating. Are you listening, other hotels that cater to business travelers? We travel with electronic devices and don't want to crawl under desks to find outlets, and we want to use our own phone or tablet as our alarm clock, without having to try to figure out the electrical-engineering-degree-required clocks you have in the room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a tower near the main lobby, rather than the Plaza Tower, which is quite a hike fr...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I were so very lucky to be sponsored in one of the luxury suites during our stay for the AIPLA conference. We stayed in Room 2021, a two bedroom, 3 bathroom suite with bar, grand piano, kitchen, office and sweeping views of the Capitol Mall and Washington Monument.

The staff were excellent and catered to our every request. Room service was excellent, and I enjoyed the Elite lounge on the 10th floor which provided wonderful tasty snacks and warm breakfast meals.

The only small criticism was our huge bathroom with whirlpool tub and shower had no hooks or racks to dry wet towels or hang bath robes. The enormous bedroom did not offer any dresser drawers to place clothes.

I totally loved the gym, convenient, well appointed and well lit.

I also loved how close it is to the Adams Morgan neighborhood with its beautiful homes and nice shopping area, and don't forget it's proximity to the Metro Station!!!

This is my second visit to this hotel and it will not be my last.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel has among the largest meeting room capacities in the city. Two towers - one modern and the other classic. A bit of a walk to the classic Wardman Tower, and the lobby there is much cooler than the rest of the hotel, but the rooms are large and with a nice view though the bathrooms are a little dated. Very convenient to metro and zoo.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am normally a Courtyard patron, but due to proximity of where I as going, this Marriot Hotel had the ideal location. Overall, this is a nice hotel. It is very large (seems almost like a merging of several buildings). I found it to be very clean, and the staff is very friendly. In fact, on two occasions, I needed to ask a question to a maintenance man (different people), which had nothing to do with maintenance. On both occasions, the person was very helpful.....didn't just answer my question, but went into a full explanation. The hotel has a little store, for odds and ends (which we did not frequent), and also has a pub, a lounge, and restaurant. We visited the lounge for drinks and the restaurant for breakfast. The drinks were good, and so was the service. For breakfast, you can get "made-to-order" or a buffet. We got "made-to-order" - eggs, ham, hash browns, bagel, coffee, and juice. Good quality and quantity. The room was adequately sized. At first glance, you may think it looks "old", especially the bathroom, however, it is more of the style. The bathroom does not have a vanity. Which makes it a little "cramped" if you're trying to put stuff by the sink. In the bedroom itself, it has a 32" flat screen TV - which is small compared to Courtyards. There is no refrigerator. However, the hotel does offer room service. If you want breakfast served in your room, you can fill out a card and hang it on the outside door knob. although we got a king-size bed (with plenty of pillows), this was not the most comfortable bed we've had at a hotel. I like a firm mattress, but this was too firm. (never had an issue sleeping at a Courtyard). In-room internet is available, but at $12.95/day. Free internet access is available down in the lounge. Parking is available, but of course at a price (for both park-yourself or valet). The room did have a nice large walk-in closet (nice, but not really a big deal if you're only staying for a short time). The Metro (Red Line - Woodley-Zoo station) is accessible by walking out through the doors located in the back of the building. You need to walk down a ramp and a half-block to get to it. Not really a big deal. Overall. a good experience, however, this is a pricey hotel. For the price, I would've liked at least a fridge or free internet access.