“some good, some so-so”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #105 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 12 November 2013

was here for three days for meetings. interesting facility. two towers. one older, one newer. i stayed in the older (original) tower. rooms were nice - big, had some charecter. i was in an executive suite so there was ample room to spread out. lots of big windows so lots of sun light and nice views. check in was very easy and they were prepared for my early arrival. was surprised when i could not order room service for a late lunch, having been told it would not be "open" for another hour. kind of goes against the room service menu that highlights an "all-day menu." a maze of conference rooms but lots of staff to help give directions. nice lobby bar. food in the various meetings i was ini was very good. you are in a neat part of the city (NW DC). Not too far from the National Cathedral, several nice parks, etc. an overall decent experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear jon s,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience while staying at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the larger room that was provided for your stay. However, it is clear we did not meet your expectations. I will follow up with room service to see why there is a disconnect in the hours of service. Again, I thank you for your feedback and apologize for not delivering a better performance in all areas of the property.

Jim

Reviewed 10 November 2013

As a conference hotel, this met most expectations but it is not up to the Marriott standard for service. It is a HUGE hotel and staff seem content to let you get lost. The directions to my room were rather vague as were those to my colleagues. The room itself (center tower, concierge level) was very nice, clean and quiet. The bed was plush and comfortable. The concierge room had a very nice breakfast but closed rather early in the evening. The hotel pub was nice with a standard pub menu, very small portions and very high prices ($12.00 for a glass of wine that I found out later in the day sells for about $8 a bottle locally). I had room service for one dinner and had a very small bowl of soup, an appetizer that consisted of 4 small shrimp on a plate with a few pieces of corn and ice cream. The total was $44.00 which is disgraceful. At most, this dinner should have cost under $20. The wireless internet was confusing and annoying. We allegedly had wireless in the conference room but not one person near me could access it. To access wireless, we all had to go out towards the lobby and use a different sign on portal. The hotel is nicely located with a good walking trail and park adjacent to it. The pool is not operational at this time and there is no hot tub or spa. There is a sauna but it was turned off when I went in. I waited a few minutes but it heated so slowly I gave up. I inquired at the front desk about the massage services and the attendant could not explain any of the services or the cost. I gave up on that too. All in all, nothing really bad about this place but nothing outstanding either.

1  Thank Deborah W

Dear Deborah W,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your most recent experience at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that we missed the mark on several instances. I have reviewed your comments with the leadership team at the property and I look forward to your concerns being addressed so we can provide exceptional service to all of our customers.

Jim Redington

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here for the last week in October, been here quite a few times before and never had a problem, the rooms are spacious and housekeeping is very good, front desk staff and concierge always helpful and polite.

My two gripes

1. The coffee shop in the lobby, staff are hopeless, came down first morning and ordered two coffees to take back to the room asked to charge them to the room and they looked it up and said cash only, can you check that I asked as I had charged stuff to the room the night before and they were adamant that nothing could be charged, I had no cash on me so I left the coffees and went to the front desk and asked them to check my account, nothing wrong with it, went back and got the same woman who looked it up and she said "oh they fixed it then" no there was nothing wrong with it in the first place grr . Had a few run ins with them during the week with wrong coffee orders and another inquisition over charging it to the room....dear hotel please get a Starbucks franchise.

2. Harry's bar, there was something wrong with the mixer machine that supplies coke, tonic etc the mixers were coming out flat, now first night we sent a drink back because the tonic was flat, not a bubble of life in a vodka and tonic the second one came also flat, also rejected and a staff member sourced a bottle of tonic, happy days.

Next visit asked for a vodka and tonic and specified bottled tonic, server looked a bit blank, explained and she sorta glazed over as I spoke to her. Drink arrived and it was flat, drink rejected and the server got an attitude problem, insisted it was bottled so we asked to see the bottle, aha, anyway she took the drink away and brought another one, exactly the same, rejected again. Asked if they kept ginger ale, no we don't, what sorta bar is this I was asking myself so got the manager. Told him my problem in getting a vodka and tonic and he went and sorted it out, asked him why they didn't keep ginger ale, yeah we do he said. Told him that the server didn't know that ginger ale was available, anyway he went and had words with her and she got the right ache with us to the point I went and got drinks from the bar myself, manager did zero out our tab but it's just hassle you don't need. In a hotel such as this I shouldn't have this problem.

In summary , good hotel, good location, easy for the Metro, but it needs to look at a few issues. That's why only three stars.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Solisla,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your most recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I have shared your concens with the Food & Beverage Team here at the hotel and will ensure that those opportunites are addressed moving forward. Should your travels bring you back to Washington, DC I hope that you give the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park another opportunity.

Jim Redington

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Service was pretty good. The place is huge though, and I got lost going to my room. Finally found it. Stayed here for a conference. It is very close to the Metro station, the zoo, and the cathedral. There is a good running/walking path close to the hotel if you're into that. I think it's a good place to stay if you are touring because it's close to the station.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was assigned to stay there recently - hence I did not do any research before I arrived. It is a typical business hotel in DC. Apart from its huge size and confusing floor layouts, nothing much stands out in that hotel, for good or bad. It was a bit outdated, having a cloth line in the bathroom (good), wifi internet in room would cost you $12.95 per day (why?!), the heating/ac in my room was a bit noisy. It is on the red line of DC metro; there are a number of restaurants just down the hill - very convenient.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

After reading so many negative TA reviews of this hotel -- I was to come here for a business meeting, with very quick turnaround from another in Boston. I was not looking forward to my two-night stay. Happily, I couldn't have been more misguided! Perhaps I was lucky enough to be in a different part of the hotel than others with more negative reports (Center Tower), but even the pickiest of people could not be unhappy with my accommodations! The front desk staff, and ALL staff, including waitstaff and housekeepers, could not have been more pleasant or helpful. Easy breezy off the Metro from Reagan (for $3.00!) was pleasant and fast, cross a little two lane street and you are here! Nice Fitness Facility, restaurants and bars. Please stay here -- these folks are great and the place is beautiful! (OK, bed could've been more comfy, but...!)

Room Tip: Definitely ask for Central Tower!
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is the largest hotel in DC as far as convention space. There are quiet spaces all over the hotel yet when you want to socialize the bar is right there near the elevators and lobby. They have a nice little cafe where you can grab a coffee drink or light snack. The rooms are your standard rooms, most with a mini fridge. Safe is in the top drawer of the desk. The wifi worked really well - the only thing about that is you have to connect to different networks depending on where you are (room, lobby, conference room etc). The gym is nice, offering towels and water. However, it's really small for a hotel gym that has so many rooms. The hotel is less than a block away from the Woodley Park/National zoo metro stop. My only feedback is that the lounge upstairs doesn't offer free alcohol. It's not a huge deal for my family, however it's one of the only Marriott's where you have to pay. Overall it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from Elevator - there are super noisy.
1  Thank Geographylover_12