“3 Night Business Stay-Good Location, Decent Hotel”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #101 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Dayton, Ohio
“3 Night Business Stay-Good Location, Decent Hotel”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I recently stayed here for a conference. Overall, the hotel is consistent with Marriott standards. I stayed in the tower that is off to one side and not by the main lobby.

The hotel is a little chopped up as it was a little difficult to find the elevator that went to my room but once I figured out the floor plan of the hotel I made my way around ok. Some extra signage pointing to the various elevator shafts would be helpful.

The room was fine but the HVAC was an issue. I probably should have talked to the front desk as the room was always hot no matter what temp the thermostat was on. There was a note on the thremostat to put it in the "auto" setting which I did but it seemed there were some control issues with the thermostat as it would kick to cooling eventually but was not consistent. The room was clean and the bedding was consistent with Marriott propoerties. The TV was a good sized TV and there were no issues with the TV.

On the positive side the hotel is very close to a lot of good restaruants and the Metro line is right outside the front of the hotel so that is very convenient.

Overall, a decent Marriott but for price (I know Washington is expensive) I would have expected a little more. I would still recommend staying here based on the location and overall stay experience but just not one of the best Marriotts I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Some of my coworkers stayed in the main tower and it seemed these rooms might be a little better so...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed at the Wardman Park for 6 nights for a business function in the hotel. I was accommodated on the 10 floor that included a complementary Concierge room that was very useful and convenient. I found all the services of the hotel professionally presented and very friendly.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed in the central tower of this huge hotel for a long weekend. Room was very small made smaller by a refrigerator placed in the middle. Asked to have the refrigerator removed. Breakfast in the hotel dining room is very expensive, but there is a small take out place with coffee and some breakfast fast foods available and tables where you can sit. Metro stop nearby makes getting into the city easy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Oldertraveller577,
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experiences regarding the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry to read that your experience at the property fell short of your expectations. I thank you for your candid feedback as we review and and take steps to improve our services through each response we recieve.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 November 2013

was here for three days for meetings. interesting facility. two towers. one older, one newer. i stayed in the older (original) tower. rooms were nice - big, had some charecter. i was in an executive suite so there was ample room to spread out. lots of big windows so lots of sun light and nice views. check in was very easy and they were prepared for my early arrival. was surprised when i could not order room service for a late lunch, having been told it would not be "open" for another hour. kind of goes against the room service menu that highlights an "all-day menu." a maze of conference rooms but lots of staff to help give directions. nice lobby bar. food in the various meetings i was ini was very good. you are in a neat part of the city (NW DC). Not too far from the National Cathedral, several nice parks, etc. an overall decent experience.

Dear jon s,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience while staying at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the larger room that was provided for your stay. However, it is clear we did not meet your expectations. I will follow up with room service to see why there is a disconnect in the hours of service. Again, I thank you for your feedback and apologize for not delivering a better performance in all areas of the property.

Jim
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2013

As a conference hotel, this met most expectations but it is not up to the Marriott standard for service. It is a HUGE hotel and staff seem content to let you get lost. The directions to my room were rather vague as were those to my colleagues. The room itself (center tower, concierge level) was very nice, clean and quiet. The bed was plush and comfortable. The concierge room had a very nice breakfast but closed rather early in the evening. The hotel pub was nice with a standard pub menu, very small portions and very high prices ($12.00 for a glass of wine that I found out later in the day sells for about $8 a bottle locally). I had room service for one dinner and had a very small bowl of soup, an appetizer that consisted of 4 small shrimp on a plate with a few pieces of corn and ice cream. The total was $44.00 which is disgraceful. At most, this dinner should have cost under $20. The wireless internet was confusing and annoying. We allegedly had wireless in the conference room but not one person near me could access it. To access wireless, we all had to go out towards the lobby and use a different sign on portal. The hotel is nicely located with a good walking trail and park adjacent to it. The pool is not operational at this time and there is no hot tub or spa. There is a sauna but it was turned off when I went in. I waited a few minutes but it heated so slowly I gave up. I inquired at the front desk about the massage services and the attendant could not explain any of the services or the cost. I gave up on that too. All in all, nothing really bad about this place but nothing outstanding either.

1 Thank Deborah W
Dear Deborah W,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your most recent experience at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that we missed the mark on several instances. I have reviewed your comments with the leadership team at the property and I look forward to your concerns being addressed so we can provide exceptional service to all of our customers.

Surrey
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here for the last week in October, been here quite a few times before and never had a problem, the rooms are spacious and housekeeping is very good, front desk staff and concierge always helpful and polite.

My two gripes

1. The coffee shop in the lobby, staff are hopeless, came down first morning and ordered two coffees to take back to the room asked to charge them to the room and they looked it up and said cash only, can you check that I asked as I had charged stuff to the room the night before and they were adamant that nothing could be charged, I had no cash on me so I left the coffees and went to the front desk and asked them to check my account, nothing wrong with it, went back and got the same woman who looked it up and she said "oh they fixed it then" no there was nothing wrong with it in the first place grr . Had a few run ins with them during the week with wrong coffee orders and another inquisition over charging it to the room....dear hotel please get a Starbucks franchise.

2. Harry's bar, there was something wrong with the mixer machine that supplies coke, tonic etc the mixers were coming out flat, now first night we sent a drink back because the tonic was flat, not a bubble of life in a vodka and tonic the second one came also flat, also rejected and a staff member sourced a bottle of tonic, happy days.

Next visit asked for a vodka and tonic and specified bottled tonic, server looked a bit blank, explained and she sorta glazed over as I spoke to her. Drink arrived and it was flat, drink rejected and the server got an attitude problem, insisted it was bottled so we asked to see the bottle, aha, anyway she took the drink away and brought another one, exactly the same, rejected again. Asked if they kept ginger ale, no we don't, what sorta bar is this I was asking myself so got the manager. Told him my problem in getting a vodka and tonic and he went and sorted it out, asked him why they didn't keep ginger ale, yeah we do he said. Told him that the server didn't know that ginger ale was available, anyway he went and had words with her and she got the right ache with us to the point I went and got drinks from the bar myself, manager did zero out our tab but it's just hassle you don't need. In a hotel such as this I shouldn't have this problem.

In summary , good hotel, good location, easy for the Metro, but it needs to look at a few issues. That's why only three stars.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Solisla,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your most recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I have shared your concens with the Food & Beverage Team here at the hotel and will ensure that those opportunites are addressed moving forward. Should your travels bring you back to Washington, DC I hope that you give the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park another opportunity.

Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Service was pretty good. The place is huge though, and I got lost going to my room. Finally found it. Stayed here for a conference. It is very close to the Metro station, the zoo, and the cathedral. There is a good running/walking path close to the hotel if you're into that. I think it's a good place to stay if you are touring because it's close to the station.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business