“Convention Held Here”

Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Norton Shores, MI
“Convention Held Here”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were residents of this hotel for a week during a Veteran Treatment Court Conference being held here. Our room was pretty average compared to many places we have stayed around the DC area in the past. It was a small room, but we basically only slept there since we were out most of the days and evenings. It fit our needs. Although our room was pretty dated, we found our room cleaned nicely each time we returned back after our long days. We found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and helpful, and it worked well to not have to leave the hotel for our conference each day. I appreciated the safe in our room.

The conference rooms were convenient and comfortable. We appreciated the water coolers that were available and the breakfast room that was available to the Mentors. This room was well serviced by a friendly gentleman each morning before our sessions began. I'm sorry I didn't get his name.

We ate lunch here twice, but felt the buffet was over-priced. I would recommend eating out at local restaurants that are nearby if you have the time. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance.

The location of the hotel was convenient to transportation. We had seven in our group and easily caught cheap transportation to see the sights without paying for a cab each time. We only used a cab for transportation to and from the airport. That was not provided by the hotel.

The thing about DC is the fact that there is competition for hotels in the area. The ranking by Tripadvisor participants is just about right. I would recommend this hotel for people looking for friendly business conference environments, but I'd shop around if you are looking for a romantic time away as couples or a family.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

They oversell this place and then stick you in a crappy room, no matter how early you made your reservation nor how early you arrive for your checkin. They stuck me in a room above the kitchen. The entire hallyway reeks of frying grease, and my room reeks of frying grease. Disgusting. I have five nights of this to look forward to. When I asked to move rooms, they explained to me that the place is oversold, and people are being turned away for some other hotel up the street. It would take a great deal of convincing for me to accept that they did not know exactly what the problems are with the rooms on this disgusting grease-filled hallway in this supposedly fine convention hotel. Don't stay here. Don't hold your convention here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Clubber A,

I am sorry to read that the initial room provided was not up to your or our standards. Unfortunately there was an issue with our exhaust system that led to your frustrations. I thank you for bringing this to our attention and I am also glad that our front office management team was able to address your concerns, relocate you to a new room and provide you with compensation for your inconvenience. We do strive to provide a quality experience for every guest but unfortunately at times, even our best efforts fall short when circumstances outside of our control impact a guest's stay.

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Good location. Hotel is dated but rooms were clean. I've always have good experience at Marriott hotels. Outdoor cafes, bars, fast food; public transportation, bus and rail just steps away from hotel. Within walking distance to White House, Washington Monument. In fact, two of my girlfriends and I walked to the White House. Weather was great, felt like summer. Our walk was very entertaining and exhilirating but nevertheless, a rewarding exercise.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Checked in Saturday night. Room looks at heating or cooling plant WALL but HEAT in room doesn't work. When I called the front desk this morning to request a room change they said rest of rooms would be noisy, near ice machines or on first floor. Be cautious when booking this property! Looks like we're stuck with 2 more nights like this. Doesn't meet Marriott standards.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear JeepCano,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience regarding the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that your stay fell short of expectations. I have addressed your concerns with the hotel leadership team to ensure both our product and service standards are maintained at the highest caliber.

Respectfully,
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the Wardman Park Hotel in Washington for four days. My way was an excellent stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The information desk was very helpful as well. Great with directions and the valet staff were also very helpful!

I have stayed in many hotels in DC. This has been one of my favorite so far. The hotel restaurants, although pricey, were great and my waitress in Harry's Pub was the best waitress I had during the duration of this stay.

I definitely look forward to staying here at this location again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We were booked at the Dupont Circle Courtyard down the street when a winter storm came through and we would have faced a mile walk in ice and snow with no cab service available for an important conference. Shomel our waiter heard our challenge and recommended we ask the staff to help us out. Scott, the manager not only got us converted from the less convenient Courtyard (due to vacancies from the storm) and went above and beyond to convert our reservations to what was better for us as a customer. Hotel is always top notch but this time was exceptional as staff from waiter to manager went way above expectations to take care of us during an extreme weather condition. I cannot recommend this hotel more highly.

Room Tip: Ask for help from helpful staff.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stanwood, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The house keeping staff were very friendly, professional and easy to be around. The front desk staff were amazing and threw in a personal touch that I continue to brag about to my wife and friends. However, the rest of the staff were less friendly/helpful and the concierge was apathetic at best. I asked him a few questions and had to clarify he heard me the first time as he barely responded. It felt like I was interrupting his goal of doing nothing for his entire shift. I had to contact security due to some very odd and uncomfortable phone calls early in the morning on the first two days and that was a horrible experience. The woman in security was actually more offensive, rude and anger provoking than the person making the unwelcomed calls in the morning. Having a call-girl call your room at 5am saying "I'm here as you requested" is annoying enough, but having security treat you in a manner that indicates you are the problem and did something wrong is much more offensive. I won't be staying here again, just based on the propositions by the prostitute and the attitude of security and concierge.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. If you have to stay here, ask for a upper floor as many lower rooms have a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Chad W,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share you recent experience regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park. I am very sorry to read about your negative experience after your visit was concluded. I do wish I had the ability to address your concerns while still at the property. If you are willing and have the time I would like to discuss your issue further. Please call me at your convenience at 202.328.5640.

Respectfully,