“Recent Stay”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Recent Stay”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here for conferences for years. The location is a nice area, but a little far from downtown. The Park Tower was recently renovated. The hotel is a little tired and could use some updating.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park with my boyfriend when I had some organizational meetings and activities at the Washington Hilton in nearby Dupont Circle. I ended up with this hotel when I was using Priceline to get a cheaper hotel in the area. First of all, I was very satisfied with the location, being right next to the Metro Woodley Park escalator. Made most all travel much easier. It was a mile walk to the Washington Hilton for meetings, but I enjoyed the walk along Connecticut Ave. My room was in the newer tower (the older one is under major renovation) and was pleasantly appointed. Front desk was very friendly and helpful. I did have a few cons, but they were relatively minor, which is why this gets a 4 out of 5:

CONS:
- Really expensive Internet. $12.95 is a rip off. Glad I have my LTE iPad.
- Down pillows without foam alternatives. King Bed has four pillows, so why not include a few foam ones for people who actually prefer to have their head supported by a pillow?
- Bathroom was okay, but as others have noted, is too small.

Room Tip: If you use Priceline, call Priceline to get the Marriott confirmation number so you can call and add...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The Washington Marriott Wardman Park is the largest convention hotel in Washington and convenient for such purposes. There are many meeting rooms and a few ballrooms, as well as a more than adequate number of guest rooms. Facilities include bar, restaurant, coffee shop, gift shop, gym and comfortable sitting area outside the lift on each floor. However, the guest rooms are quite small and aged in design with the bathrooms being a particularly tight fit. In summary, a comfortable, functional business and convention hotel that is about a 15 minute taxi ride from downtown.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear fly_d_skies,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. We are extremely excited about our upcoming $20,000,000 rooms renovation over the next 18 months that will impact all of our guest rooms and corridors.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have stayed at this property many times attending an annual healthcare conference each year, and must report this property is in need of major upgrades /renovations for all its rooms. The property has started this with the old tower renovations, however the main building is also in need major work in the hotel rooms. For check in I used the Marriott Mobile App and arrived early to have my room ready. I was up graded to a larger room which featured a sitting area with a couch, large working desk and comfortable pillow top bed. The bathroom was clean, however in need of repair/update with stained walls, sink, and tub from years of use. The room had a odor of some sort which required the use of scented candles to eliminate it. I am confident the main building will be the next to be repaired here. The Concierge Club offers full breakfast and evening foods/drinks and is a welcome addition to my Platinum amenities .
As to convention meeting space, this property is well designed to accommodate large groups in the elegantly designed rooms/halls. The main lobby, restaurants, shopping areas, bar etc., all blend well to accommodate for a very successful meeting experience.
Until the full property is updated, I can not rate this property higher at this time and won't be coming back until it is done.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel until full renovated.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear MEProffeno,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I apologize that the age and condition of the building fell short of your standards. We are very excited about our renovation projects over the next 18 months that will address your concerns. Thank you for the positive comments regarding our meeting capabilities, conceirge lounge and staff.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Slightly out of town location but right on subway and in a nice and quiet neighbourhood.
Just had my seventh night here after attending convention. I usually find Marriotts ok but the nearer you get to the east coast of the states the worse they get.
Internet in room is intermittent and expensive. How much do you have to spend to get a free internet connection?
Monday - Room not made up because I was working in it until about 4pm.
Thursday - Went to convention (about 1000 people) drinks reception and spend 40 minutes in a queue for a drink . Each drink individually ordered and poured - no one seems to have thought to just pour out a few hundred glasses of wine.
Friday : Laundry left in hotel laundry bag with forms filled all on bed ignored by maid who must have removed it and put it back to make bed. Phone housekeeping - not interested and state that since it is now 1210 they cannot do anything till Monday since cut off is 1200.
A lot of senior staff who maybe aren't so fast and a lot of poor English too.
People in room next to me have some friends in for drinks (or maybe there are four of them in there anyway?) They are just talking - not particlarly loud but I can hear every word if I don't have the TV on.

Do not stay here unless it's for the convenience of attending your convention and then be prepared to pay for the convenience of location with many other incoveniences

Green Features: Even the towells left on the rail were removed . The usual card is in the room but they don't take any notice of it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LordH64
Dear LordH64,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that your stay fell short of expectations. I have reviewed your concerns with our staff at the hotel and I thank you for the constructive feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Pittsfield,MA
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Recently I stayed at this hotel to attend a very large convention and I stayed for 7 nights. Before I left for DC I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor and I was frankly feeling a few misgivings about having chosen this hotel even as a convention based site. Well, I have to tell you that I was never sorry from beginning to end once I arrived, beginning at check-in at the front desk where I was greeted in a friendly manner and was treated with the best of courtesy and consideration. There my requests for the location of my room were filled and questions for additional information about "shortcuts" to another hotel and to the adjoining shopping area were met with clear directions and they even provided me with a map of the hotel.

My room was delightful and clean and the temperature comfortable, and I especially enjoyed the marvelous coffee provided in the room. I requested a number of additional decaf servings which were finally provided after two requests by phone. The refrigerator in the room made it possible for me to attend early morning meetings without having to stop for breakfast in a restaurant or stand on the long lines in the morning at the Woodley Market off the lobby and sometimes not to have to dine out for lunch as well if the time was short between sessions. My dinner experiences were all in the hotel since I was alone and chose not to wander far and the Stones Throw and Harry's Bar worked very well for me. The hamburger, pork chops, turkey burger and quesadilla were all tasty and the service was friendly if a liitle reserved . (See my review of the pub setting elsewhere).

When I needed a car to go to Arlington National Cemetery I was given clear information and the trip was arranged and completed. My only complaint here might have been the expense but I required the assurance of transportation that would wait for a return trip which necessitated those arrangements
I had stayed in this hotel about 4 times over the last 15 years and it appeared to have undergone renovations particularly in some areas, lobby included. I saw areas from the elevator in the back of the hotel that looked much less modern that the area where I stayed. Perhaps those are the areas that appear in such negative reviews like "Too bad" and "not impressed..." I heard very little of the construction noise in my section which started at what I felt was a reasonable hour in the morning. The gym in the hotel is outstanding compared to other smaller ones I have been to. Lots of equipment of all kinds and friendly front desk staff.

I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. The location is great and if I had not been alone I would have enjoyed the number of restaurants on the streets below (and have on other trips) .One humorous note--one morning my long skirt became lodged in an escalator. Two other conventioneers were able to locate an escalator technician in no time who was able to reverse the excalator and free me in seconds and because of his quick action the skirt was saved and I could get to my next session. NIce work on the part of that technician!

Room Tip: Ask for the Center Tower--if restaurants are too crowded, time dinner a little later, like 8 Lines...
Green Features: Glad that you are participating. Efforts to save on water by recycling towels are good
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank baglady061
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel for three nights at the end of March. Upon arrival, I was allowed to check into my room at noon (check in is at 4:00 p.m.) and since I had been up since 2:30 a.m. I was very grateful for that. Although I was given a room with two double beds instead of a king, I was happy to just check-in. After unpacking, I went downstairs to the Stone's Throw restaurant for a hamburger. After waiting for my food to arrive, I saw something out of the corner of my eye on the floor. It was a cockroach. It was scurrying all over the place, and then I noticed two of its friends. There I was, trying not to scream while watching 3 cockroaches run all around the bottom of my table.

After quickly finishing my food (you know I must've been starving) I went to the front desk to report the incident. Their response, "oh my, that's no good. I'll let the restaurant know." That was it. Didn't ask my name, my room number, nothing.

Thankfully, those were the only three cockroaches I encountered during the trip, but overall, I found the hotel to be very old, not updated, dirty, and smelly. The hallway leading to my room smelled of vomit. I found several hairs in my "clean" bed; several hairs on the floor in the bathroom upon first arriving. Most of the TV channels were fuzzy. WiFi was $13 per day.

The best thing about the hotel is definitely its location. It's within walking distance of 30+ restaurants and shops and a 2 minute walk to the Metro. That's the only nice thing I have to say...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kellyo1126
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear kellyo1126,
Thank you for taking time for sharing your recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that your stay had various issues regarding cleanliness and condition. While this is certainly an isolated instance I know it had a tremendous impact on how you feel about the hotel. If possible and at your convenience, I would like to discuss the matter in greater detail. I can be reached at 202.328.5640.