“Another Great stay for business”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Orlando
“Another Great stay for business”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The staff and hotel services were good. The hotel was crowded, so our room was further down the hall than i prefer...if you have any trouble walking long distance, make sure to ask for a room closest to the elevator. The rooms were nice and comfortable, nothing spectacular, but clean and the cleaning staff did a great job. The gym was great, plenty of cardio machines, and the cafe on the lobby level is always convenient. The hotels close proximity to the Zoo is a big plus and allows for early morning walks with a great opportunity to see the animals. The are also great restaurants nearby, within a block that are reasonable priced. i would stay there again.

Room Tip: be sure to ask to be close to the elevator if you do not like walking far distances
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is one of those once-unique old hotels that's now attached to a brand chain. Obviously, it's been renovated over the years, but is definitely ready for another facelift. I was on the concierge floor (10th) and the view was nice, but there was wallpaper peeling, the desk phone didn't work, and the shower head was lower than my armpits. Check-in at the Marriott Rewards elite desk was efficient, but perfunctory... certainly not particularly welcoming. For some reason, they also made me "re-key" my room keys partway through my stay. And, it took most of my stay and four calls to the helpline to get them to finally replace the non-working desk phone - a visit by the help guy to confirm that the phone wasn't working and multiple promises resulted in no activity. Though apologetic, this was probably the most disappointing thing about my stay. Breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was adequate, but choices were limited and most other Marriotts do a better job. So, given that they charge "D.C. rates" (i.e., it ain't cheap!), I was disappointed. On my next trip to this neighborhood, I'll probably stay at the Omni across the street or the Hilton down Connecticut Ave. toward Dupont Circle. Here's the positive: (1) the Metro red line stop is just down the hill, about an average one-block walk away (from Reagan airport, it's an easy one-transfer ride); (2) there are a number of restaurants nearby (burgers, Chipotle, Lebanese, pizza, Italian, pub food, and more, all within a block).

5 Thank FlyGuy47
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear FlyGuy47,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience regarding the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry to read the service levels fell short of your expectations. I am also sorry with the multiple issues regarding your door lock and guest room. I have shared your review with the leadership team here at the hotel so thay we may prevent such problems from happening in the future. I do hope you give us the opportunity to host you again should your travels bring you back to the DC area.

Respectfully,
Jim Redington
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Have stayed at this hotel several times on business, nice property. Location has many places to eat/shop and close to National zoo and a metro stop. The hotel and grounds are well kept, the conceirge lounge serves a good breakfast, will continue to stay on business.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 75Matt
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed for a conference at the Wardman and it is a beautiful hotel although there was much construction there at the time. The hotel is large and can accommodate many conferences all at one time. The only issue was trying to get a drink in the lounge. Service was terrible as they only had one server each night and many people in the lounge. A walk outside offers a few options and Adams Morgan neighborhood is a 10 minute walk across the bridge with subway service across the street from the hotel.

1 Thank uglychicano
Albany, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for a weekend in May. I was also a part of the large high school group that many reviewers spoke of. First the positives. The hotel and grounds were extremely nice. Adams Morgan is a great area to visit and stay. There were many shops and restaurants a 5 minute walk away. The metro is also just as close so getting around is easy. The hotel is LARGE!!!!! The hotel was very accommodating with our conference. We had over 500 teenagers and about the same number of adults, if not more, and not an issue. The staff, for the most part, were friendly and when I needed directions, they escorted me to where to go instead of pointing in the general direction, which I appreciate. My reservation included access to the concierge level, which also included breakfast. It was the usual stuff, but I enjoyed it.

The hiccup is with the room type. When I first booked, it would not let me choose my bed type, king or two doubles. I needed a double so I called Marriott when I booked in February and they added it to my preferences. I called the hotel a couple of days prior to my arrival to confirm the bed type. They stated that they could not confirm the bed type. It's first come, first served. Huh? I was sharing a room with a friend and sharing beds was not an option. I explained this to her and she held firm. I did mobile check-in (which I love) and the bed type was not confirmed. I called the hotel who tried to say the same thing. I then spoke to a manager, because that is unheard of, who guaranteed me a double bed when I checked in.

Being such a large conference, primarily made up of children, I did not like that they were so split up. You had to travel from one end of the hotel to the other if your child was in a different room. Some of the rooms were in what I considered the basement which were very far from the main part of the hotel. As a parent, I did not like that we were so separated. I also think that caused a lot of grief for other hotel stayers who had to deal with their noise because they did not have the children together.

Other than that, it was a hotel room. Relatively clean and comfy.

1 Thank glinnesa
California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Wardman Park is looking tired. I stay here at least once a month for business and overall the hotel is fine but the rooms and hallways need sprucing up. Due to the large conferences that come through here the hotel is taking a beating. It is great as it is in a nice area and right next to the metro (red line) and a block from the zoo. The staff here is always amazing but please paint the halls and the rooms!!

Also beware they closed the Wardman tower so in rain you have to walk around to the metro, no more through the wardman tower and popping out at the corner & umbrellas are 30 bucks in the gift shop

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shanola
new york
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference in early May 2014. I am a Marriott Silver and stay at Marriotts about 30 nights a year and this hotel was a disappointment. While the room was comfortable, flowers on the grounds pretty and most of the staff helpful, there were problems.
1. On check in was told room not ready, this is normally fine but had to wait till 3PM and finally checked in. Went to room and it was prom night and I was surrounded by High School kids running up and down the halls slamming doors. Tried to change rooms at 5PM and was told hotel was full and manager would not give me the one open room which was a suite. I then waited 10 minutes at front desk and asked they look again but they said nothing available, then I tried calling another person at the desk from my room and they said they would call back but did not. I went back to room, endured the screaming and noise and door slamming another hour and went down again and miraculously, was given another room on quieter floor, why I had to work so hard I do not know
1A. the woman at the front desk I was dealing with did not have a nice attitude, I acted very friendly and she had this look and impatience that made me uncomfortable and seemed happy to tell me she could not help. when I did get the new room from another guy next to her, I thanked them both and she had this obnoxious look that said, she was not actually happy I got another room
2. $2 per item to check a bag? wow, that is obnoxious, hotel has no room available so I have to pay $2, plus tip?? that's a new one
3. Bed had dirt stains on the white covers, not a good feeling to sleep with dirt on your bed
4. construction outside all around hotel is very noisy from 8AM and all day
5. room a bit cramped for a Marriott
6. TV channels fuzzy reception, weird in this day and age

all in all, not a great stay, I will not be back here.

2 Thank haup