“Enjoyable”

Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference in April. The staff was friendly and check-in was a breeze. Considering there were over 4000 people at the conference, there was always prompt service. I loved the fact that there was a refrigerator in the room. I also loved the fact that the hotel was close to restaurants, the metro and many other things. The only complaint was construction was going o so I couldn't open my window for fresh air due to the noise. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My most recent stay at the Marriott Wardman had some definite positives. The location is excellent: especially if you have outings to the zoo as part of your travel plans & it's super convenient to the Metro. Our room was spacious (a double) & the staff is professional & courteous. A problem with our bath was fixed within 5 minutes of our call for maintenance - an excellent response time.

The things I didn't like? Their were conspicuous stains on the main rug in the lobby, on an upholstered chair in our room. The room in the Tower section had a dank smell which was off-putting upon first entering the room. Luckily, we were able to open a window which helped alleviate the mustiness.

Finally & most importantly, it was difficult to get a good night sleep in this room (4204). Not only was it located by an elevator, so comings & goings were heard all night; but the traffic noise (even with the window closed) was really noticeable. If I had been staying for another night I would have asked to be re-located.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Pookala,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am glad to read that you were able to enjoy the location to explore the sights and sounds of Washington, DC. However I am sorry that your room and it's location fell short of expectations.

Best regards,
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Previous to coming to hotel, I attempted to call direct several times and was left on hold to the point that I gave up. So upon check in I tried to upgrade to the concierge room and just flatly told I needed to do that prior to arriving. No sorry no nothing I can do etc. Then given a room that is at the very far end of hall with a view of the roof. The room was wrong in that it has two beds rather than a king. Again- all they had. Just doesn't make you feel welcome or appreciated. The hotel itself and room are fine just not a warm fuzzy feel.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Rita T.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that the staff service did not provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Our goal is to Host each guest Brilliantly and I am very sorry that was not the case during your recent visit. I will utilize this costructive feedback with our team hear at the hotel.

Regards,
fairfax, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I would like to preface this review by saying that my family and I travel a lot. We also really enjoy staying at nice hotel chains (Marriotts, Westins, W's, etc...) when we travel places. I'd like to share my wonderful experience at our recent stay at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel in Washington, D.C...

Service is among the most important aspects of a hotel. The service we experienced was beyond fantastic. I had surprised my wife and kids for a quick Mother's Day getaway, and everyone from the managers (Jim and James), to the front desk staff, to the bartenders, went above and beyond our high expectations. Our room was upgraded, we received a hand written note from the manager welcoming us back to the hotel, as they knew we had stayed previously.... everyone there made our experience an unforgettable one. The room in the main tower was clean, well appointed, and perfect for our family.

We live about 35 minutes from Washington, D.C., so when we pick a hotel for a quick getaway, we want one that is in a nice neighborhood, that is centrally located to various DC attractions, and near a Metro (subway) stop. This hotel is a 2 minute walk, if that, to the Woodley Park Metro stop, and it is near the National Zoo, and several cool restaurants. We took the Metro to the Penn Quarter part of town to eat dinner, and it took 5 minutes to get there... super convenient!

The lobby is incredibly beautiful, and there are restaurants, a lively bar area, and a place off the lobby, which is a "mart" to buy breakfast/lunch items to go... this was really nice as well.

As for parking, the options are to valet (around $40/night), self-park ($37/night), or there is some street parking nearby as well,which is free on the weekends, and it is a very nice part of town, so I didn't worry about leaving my car on the street...it's great if you can find a spot.... that can be challenging at times....

We have probably stayed at 40 different Washington D.C. hotels in various, nice parts of the city. This hotel is my favorite for a number of reasons. We look forward to going back at some point!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tarheelindc
Milford, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for a few nights mid-week for sight seeing. The hotel is a short uphill walk from the Woodley Park (red line) Metro station. The National Zoo is about a half mile uphill from the hotel. We enjoyed these things being close by. A Metro ride to the National Mall takes only 5-10 minutes depending on the time of day and costs $1.50-$2.00 each. The hotel itself was grand in the entrance area. The staff was great and very helpful. The rooms in the main hotel area where we stayed show their age. For the price they charge per night, I expected a nicer room. The carpet was old, the ceiling is the bathroom showed years of moisture. The room itself wasn't all bad as it was plenty big and had a nice flat-screen TV, a small fridge and large bathroom. The bed was firmer than in other Marriott hotels. We were offered a room in the literally just-renovated Wardman Tower, where the rooms were said to be "very well appointed", but my wife is allergic to many of the items used in construction jobs (paint, sealers etc) and the man at the reception desk said it still smelled of fresh paint. Take that for what it's worth, those rooms may be nicer than the others in the larger hotel area. Once the whole place gets an update, it will be extremely nice. As it is currently, it is a good hotel and location but the price may make you think twice. One way to add value would be an included breakfast. The in room service required a 22% gratuity and $4 delivery charge on top of the astronomically priced food and required tax. Needless to say, we did not partake.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kalvinr11
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear kalvinr11,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience regarding the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I have reviewed your comments with the leadership team at the hotel. We are very excited as we have begun a $20,000,000 upgrade to our guest rooms and public space. The Wardman Tower rooms were just completed last week and we look forward to beginning the work in our remaining towers at the end of the summer.

Regards,
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The staff and hotel services were good. The hotel was crowded, so our room was further down the hall than i prefer...if you have any trouble walking long distance, make sure to ask for a room closest to the elevator. The rooms were nice and comfortable, nothing spectacular, but clean and the cleaning staff did a great job. The gym was great, plenty of cardio machines, and the cafe on the lobby level is always convenient. The hotels close proximity to the Zoo is a big plus and allows for early morning walks with a great opportunity to see the animals. The are also great restaurants nearby, within a block that are reasonable priced. i would stay there again.

Room Tip: be sure to ask to be close to the elevator if you do not like walking far distances
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is one of those once-unique old hotels that's now attached to a brand chain. Obviously, it's been renovated over the years, but is definitely ready for another facelift. I was on the concierge floor (10th) and the view was nice, but there was wallpaper peeling, the desk phone didn't work, and the shower head was lower than my armpits. Check-in at the Marriott Rewards elite desk was efficient, but perfunctory... certainly not particularly welcoming. For some reason, they also made me "re-key" my room keys partway through my stay. And, it took most of my stay and four calls to the helpline to get them to finally replace the non-working desk phone - a visit by the help guy to confirm that the phone wasn't working and multiple promises resulted in no activity. Though apologetic, this was probably the most disappointing thing about my stay. Breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was adequate, but choices were limited and most other Marriotts do a better job. So, given that they charge "D.C. rates" (i.e., it ain't cheap!), I was disappointed. On my next trip to this neighborhood, I'll probably stay at the Omni across the street or the Hilton down Connecticut Ave. toward Dupont Circle. Here's the positive: (1) the Metro red line stop is just down the hill, about an average one-block walk away (from Reagan airport, it's an easy one-transfer ride); (2) there are a number of restaurants nearby (burgers, Chipotle, Lebanese, pizza, Italian, pub food, and more, all within a block).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank FlyGuy47
Dear FlyGuy47,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience regarding the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry to read the service levels fell short of your expectations. I am also sorry with the multiple issues regarding your door lock and guest room. I have shared your review with the leadership team here at the hotel so thay we may prevent such problems from happening in the future. I do hope you give us the opportunity to host you again should your travels bring you back to the DC area.

Respectfully,