“Great stay for a trip to the Zoo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great stay for a trip to the Zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We (me, my husband and 4.5 year old son) stayed in a king room with a roll-away bed in the Center Tower at the end of May. The room was definitely a little dated, but I picked this hotel for its proximity to the National Zoo and the parking that was included with our rate. We would stay here again, but maybe ask for one of the rooms in the Wardman Tower. The water pressure in the shower left a lot to be desired, but I did not mention it to anyone. We found plenty of places to eat nearby - both chain and local. The proximity to the Metro was key as we also wanted to visit the monuments. The transit system at home leaves a lot to be desired, so we were a bit intimidated, but figured it out with the help of some great local folks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

this location is perfect for visiting the zoo, rock creek park, and getting around DC. There are many excellent restaurants around and the hotel is on a beautiful piece of park like property great for wandering around. It's a large hotel more geared toward conventions but you can request a quiet room and have a peaceful stay. Staff was accommodating and parking is a breeze. you do have to pay for internet and parking but it is DC and you should expect that. hotel is also being renovated but there is no inconvenience to the guests.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was a mediocre property too busy and my spouse left with strange bug bite marks. We will never stay there again. Management refunded room nights but let days go by, with cleanings, before the room was examined for bugs. We were not compensated as per the Manager's initial offer and have no confidence of a better experience. This is my second review as the first was never published.

Room Tip: Lots of better places in DC. For less money and greater comfort. The halls were full of teenagers a...
Green Features: Unaware of them. We believe bugs were in the room negating and friendly feelings.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Ucity52,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Again, I am sorry for your negative experience and for the bites that your finance may have received while staying at the property. I am sorry to read that you were not provided with the resolution and compensation you seeked. In an attempt of good faith to provide resolution you were offered and accepted compensation prior to our investigation. The investigation, conducted by a third party, concluded there were no insects in the room. I am sorry that the additional compensation you seeked was not granted.

Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week for 4nights for work. I stay here at least once a month and am familiar with the hotel. In a previous review I noted the center tower looks tired. Well.. On this trip I got a room in the new Wardman tower and it was great. So fresh and new!! The only draw back was the construction noise that began everyday at 7am (even on Sat) that I was not informed of when I checked in.

However the nice new room with upgrades finishes made up for that!

When you go ask for the Wardman Tower, if not be prepared for the center tower which needs desperately needs a update and a refresh!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel for a conference that was being held there. I was accommodated for an early check-in, which was great. The room was about average, and the bathroom was clean. However, I found mystery stains all over both beds in the room and chose to use the bed that wasn't as disgusting. There was even a glob of something stuck to the bed skirt.

I could hear the family with young children in the next room clearly. We shared a thin connecting door, so when they got up for the day, so did I. I could also hear the people above me using their bathroom in the middle of the night. In terms of sleep quality and cleanliness, I expected better for $200+ a night.

You can get internet in your room for $13/day. There was free wifi in the lobby and through the conference, but it was spotty given the large attendance.

One bonus was the location. You could easily walk to a number of restaurants or to the zoo. The Woodley Park Metro stop was directly at the base of the driveway as well. If you didn't have time to go out, the Marriott had other dining options in the hotel, including a cafe that serves coffee and bagels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not connect to another room. You will hear everything.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Faith5008,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experiences regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to read that the service and product that was provided fell short of your expectations. I have shared your concerns with the leadership team here a the hotel and we wil continue to use our guests feedback to improve everyone's experience.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stay here regularly for several reasons: 1. its location in a good neighborhood, 2. its location near a Metro station, 3. the wealth of restaurants within walking distance, 4. the good condition of the rooms, and 5. the accommodating staff. We have stayed here four time over a five year span and have never been disappointed. My only cautionary note would be the internet access is not free in the rooms, but is available in the lobby. Otherwise, it's a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

And if you must, don't book it via Expedia. Expedia sells "special deals" for this hotel "subject to availability" that it does not confirm to the hotel and that the hotel has no intention of honouring. There is a clear breakdown in communication between the hotel and Expedia, which the hotel chooses to take out on the guest.

I booked a deal called "Family Fun in the Park" which was advertised on the Expedia website to include

1. A free upgrade to a suite
2. 1 complimentary in-room movie per stay
3. 1 full-day Metro pass per stay
4. Complimentary Internet access
5. "Welcome to the Park" bag

(The same deal is still for sale on selected dates on the Expedia website). I had asked for a room with two double beds because I had four members of my family staying with me for the second night of a four-night stay. When I arrived at the hotel I asked for the upgrade to a suite and was told that there was no availability that night but that they would try and move me the next morning. They gave me a really lovely room for the first night instead (the hotel is going through a refurbishment project and this was clearly an executive room in the part that had already been refurbished) but they had allocated me a king bed. If the room had had two double beds I probably wouldn't have bothered with the upgrade, but as it was, that was not an option. So when I went back to reception the next morning to check about the promised upgrade I explained why I needed a room with two double beds and a rollaway. It was at that point that the hotel management became unpleasant.

To start with they stated that my contract was with Expedia not them, and that I had no right to the free upgrade because "that hadn't been confirmed by them". They did not provide me with the free Metro pass or the free movie despite the fact that neither of those could possibly be classified as "unavailable". As regards the "Welcome Bag" they said they didn't even know what that was. As I wasn't really bothered about any of these I focused my energy on persuading them to give me a room with two double beds so that my family had a place to stay that night. After much further discussion they eventually agreed to do this. However, when I arrived in the new room later that day, it was in the unrefurbished part of the building, smelly, not very clean and several levels in standard below the room I had just left. Beggars can't be choosers, so for this night I accepted that to make sure that we all had a place to sleep. The next day, after my family had left, I asked to be put back in my original room or one of equal standard, given that the promised suites was still "unavailable". The guy from the morning shift said he would do that but when I came back after my meetings, the next receptionist told me that they "could not change my rooms just because I wanted it". I insisted and he eventually gave me another room in the same part of the hotel (which he claimed WAS the refurbished part, although that was clearly not the case). When I got to the new room it was a room of the same standard as the one I had just left, albeit slightly less smelly. At that point I gave up and just accepted what they had given me.

During one of my discussions with the receptionist, he looked at my booking on his computer and said, "yes, I know all about you" in a very dismissive tone. Meaning that at some point they must obviously have marked me down as a complainer on their system. Which I am not normally. I live in Britain, we are not assertive about these things. We just never come back if we're treated in this way. This was in fact the first time in my life that I have ever asked for a change of room.

But any interaction I had with any member of staff after that point was extremely unpleasant. I travel a lot for business and I can honestly say that I have never been treated with such disdain or met with such an obstructionist, impolite and outright hostile attitude in any hotel I have ever stayed in. If it hadn't been for the behaviour of the hotel staff, I would have marked this entire mess down purely as a failure on the part of Expedia and left it at that. But a hotel that treats paying guests like this, regardless of whether they booked directly or with a third party, does not deserve to have guests.

Before I arrived in this hotel I stayed for one night in the Omni Shoreham just across the road, which is of a similar standard and where everyone was nice, polite and helpful to a fault. Such good service should be rewarded, so I would urge everyone to book with them instead.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank ElliottAnna13
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear ElliotAnna13,

I thank you for taking time to share your recent experience regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. It is very discouraging to read that our team failed to provide exceptional service and failed to respond appropriately when asked to provide resolution to your concerns. I have reviewed your comments with the leadership team at the hotel to address each and every issues. I am very sorry that your stay was not enjoyable on many different levels. Thank you for the candid feedback that you provided. I would certainly like to provide resloution and rebuild your confidence in Marriott. If you have the time and ability please call me at your convenience at +1.202.328.5640.

Respectfully,