Courtyard Washington Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in DC to see the sights. My wife had never seen the White House before, which is why I picked this property to stay at. There is so much to do and most of it is in walking distance of the motel. The staff is welcoming and friendly, but Sean, the hotels concierge, went above expectation with his service. Sean booked us on the night bus tour of the monuments, capitol and White House, which I would recommend due to less school field trip kids. The next evening my wife and I were eating dinner at the bar in the restaurant when Sean noticed us. He came in and told us that he had to find something for us to do. He came back a few minutes later with three suggestions for us to do. We were able to do a couple of them, but Sean’s recommendations were fantastic. Our room was spacious and clean. Even though there is a night club directly across the street, the room was quiet and you could not hear any street noises. I will absolutely stay at this property again and would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KenDeV
Rshorter913, Manager at Courtyard Washington Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. I am so pleased Sean provided such an excellent service and assistance to you. He is indeed a valuable member of our team. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to your return visit.

Ralph Shorter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Got a great deal on this hotel from Priceline. In a converted old bank, in a great location as a base for exploring all that DC has to offer. A short walk in either direction will get you to a Metro Stop. The room was very clean and modern. Free wine and apps late afternoon was a nice touch. Parking was ridiculous at $38 - (parked nearby for almost half that). Check in -check out was smooth and the staff were very attentive. The attached brewery/ restaurant made for easy dining

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phuzzy

Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We agree our downtown location is excellent and convenient to all points of interest. We are so pleased you found our staff friendly and hotel to your liking. As you will find, our parking rates are commensurate with all Washington, DC downtown hotels. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

This was one of the best hotel's i've ever stayed at...the bistro downstairs had a very nice menu...the setting was very upscale and modern...the happy hour had actual food that was so good i didn't eat dinner...the bed was so comfortable i didn't want to get out of it...Overall it was a great experience & i would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Rshorter913, Operations Manager at Courtyard Washington Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We agree our downtown location is excellent and convenient to all points of interest. Our staff and service is what continues to give our hotel the competitive edge over our competition. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

If you are staying in Washington D.C. expect to pay a lot for a hotel but that doesn't mean that doesn't mean you expect a lower quality.

This hotel was chosen for it's location on the latest adventure with my 13 yo son's field trip. I really enjoy staying near Chinatown.

Food: There are plenty of places to eat, in fact, there is a hole in the wall restaurant across from Ford's Theatre (Lincoln's rest. maybe) that serves up a great breakfast at an affordable price. Up the road is an Italian place with a fantastic pizza, over in Chinatown are several convenient dives. The hotel also has a brewery that went over great during the policeman's convention.Lot's of great food nearby but I wouldn't suggest the hotels breakfast.

Metro: There are two metro stops by this hotel that make it extremely easy to access, Gallery Place at Verizon Center and Metro Center.
We took Amtrak into DC and easily caught the Metro to the hotel. During rush hour it wasn't a bad trip, about $2.20 each way.
Parking in DC is a pain I think. Valet here at Courtyard is $44 (including tax) so taking the train was cheaper for us.

Lots to see: National Building museum is just down the road, International Spy Museum, of course there's Chinatown, National Portrait museum, Ford's Theatre...Smithsonian's are just two metro stops away. I would suggest going over to East end to check out the open-air market. Several delicious places to eat there.

The hotel: rooms are small but clean. We had a king room but the king was more like a queen, comfey but smaller than expected. There is a microwave and mini-fridge which was fantastic. Bath amenities are nice so don't worry about packing shampoo/conditioner. There is plenty of power to the shower head. The staff is nice but do not go over-the-top to welcome you.

Negatives: I really have only one and that would be the price. For the money, I would stay at Kempton in DC. Hotel Monaco is right beside Courtyard and if you watch their website you can get it cheaper or for same amount. Hotel Monaco is a much better hotel. Their staff welcomes you into the lobby with cold water, extras in the room and they go way above to make you feel good about your stay.

Because I have stayed at other hotels in DC that really welcome you I am giving this hotel a lower rating. I felt it to be overpriced compared to my stay at Hotel Monaco, especially for the amount of attention Hotel Monaco gives you. I have been a Marriott rewards member for years, stayed in Marriott's worldwide and this is the third time I have been let down by the hotel chain.

So my lower rating is due to customer service and lack of recognition of rewards members who have been loyal to the company.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is in a wonderful location....very convienient to the metro and lots of great restaurants. We were able to walk to the National Mall (with our 6 year old) and see the monuments and museums with no problem. We would definitely stay here again. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Rshorter913, Manager at Courtyard Washington Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. I am pleased you found the hotel to your liking. As you point out, our downtown location is easy walking distance to many attractions, restaurants and bars. I will share your kind comments regarding our friendly service to our staff members. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

The hotel is located in a convenient area for those visiting Washington. I stayed on the concierge floor and the room was clean and what you would expect at a Courtyard. My colleagues stayed on other floors and had concerns about the cleanliness of their rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. I am pleased you found the hotel to your liking and our staff helpful and friendly. I’m sorry that your colleges had challenges with our service, as we strive to exceed each guest expectation. Your feedback is very valuable to us, and I will share with our team members. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return visit.

Warn regards,

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Only stayed one night but really liked the hotel. The location is great, and the rooms were new and clean. Also, there is a brewery in the hotel. :)

I had no problem with service, checkout and checkin were fast and efficient. The only negative was that it took a little while to get the car from the Valet. I will stay here next time I am in DC.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our facilities. We apologize for the inconveniences with retrieving your vehicle as this is not a true reflection of our normal efficient service. Thank you once again for staying with us and we are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Nation’s Capital.

Warn regards,