“Quickie in DC!”

Courtyard Washington Convention Center
Ranked #42 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this centrally located downtown Courtyard Marriott June 26, 2014 for two nights. The architecture is quite beautiful, apparently this building was once a bank. The vault door is the main attraction when you go downstairs to the breakfast buffet area. We arrived really early, about 10:30 a.m. And although our room was not ready until about 2:00 p.m., the front desk manager was extremely courteous and when our room was ready it was on the 9th floor with a great view of the front of the building. We had a comfortable stay, the room was very clean, we never bothered to figure out the air conditioning and we either froze or we were too warm. I never like the pillows, way too plump, need flatter ones to be comfortable. We always stay in Marriott hotels and we have always had free breakfast, but this Marriott charged $14 for their buffet which didn't even include homemade waffles, that I could see. unless you had to order them from the counter service. One thing we did notice was that the service personnel for the breakfast service were extremely friendly, courteous, helpful and cheerful! Strangely, there was an altercation at breakfast involving about four Arab men, and the women handled the situation well, and even came over to apologize for the disturbance. Great job handling that situation! Too early in the morning for that kind of excitement! We would definitely stay there again, the price per night was reasonable, about $ 165 per night, located perfectly where all the attractions were in walkable distance. Great quick hop over to DC, to see as much as we could see in a short amount of time. The desk manager even extended our check out time to coincide with our shuttle pickup. Great job Marriott! See you again soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Washington Convention Center

Reviewed 2 July 2014

A very nice weekend trip! My wife loved it!!

The good:

- Excellent location. Property is located one block from Madam Tussaud museum and one block from Spy museum. There are also plenty of big and small restaurants in the area to choose from. Big tour bus stop is about two blocks away.
- Valet parking is very convenient since the hotel is located in a very busy area. It is a little bit price though. I believe it was $35 a day. But you don't really need a car in DC unless you have to travel long distances or are not willing to use taxi or public transportation.
- Excellent restaurant on site! It is actually a brewery.
- All the rooms have a nice view. All the windows are facing the main street. So you just need to worry about the floor. The higher the better as usual.
- Bellboy and concierge were extremely friendly and always willing to help.
- Fresh juice and cookies were occasionally served near elevators. Nice touch.

The bad:
- There is a night club in front of the hotel. And it can get noisy at night. Just make sure you are located as high as possible! In the other hand, I did enjoy to see the nightlife as well.
- I also wish the nightly rate was lower than the one I got. But I do believe the location and perks are well paid.

Will definitely recommend this hotel. The on site brewery is a must!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor to avoid noisy night club across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel was great, especially for the price I paid. The building is beautiful, first of all, and the location is close to all the things you might want to see on a visit to DC: The White House, the Capital, the National Mall, Verizon Center, Chinatown, and more. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Conveniently, there is a restaurant off the lobby, and a breakfast buffet downstairs in the morning near the pool and gym. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DD_Vols2013
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel is located at a convenient location, the rooms and service was very good. Couldn't venture out of the hotel due to the snow storm, the thermostat failed but the hotel staff was very prompt in responding to the problem.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

No, thank you
I stayed there for 4 nights in early April 2014. The room was booked by my company. This is not a cheap hotel, even at corporate rate and the price posted in my room was close to $3000 !!. So you might expect some extra courtesy and at least good service. So, I’ll start with the positives before I get into the negatives. The location is great, can’t get more central. The building is an old bank, very nice. And my room was facing in the back, really not noisy except for the generators in the backyard.... Upon arrival, I had managed to slowly already drag my luggage out of the trunk before someone from the valet (which btw costs $44 a day…) came to ask me if I was checking in. The receptionist raced through the usual information at check in and “forgot” to give me some information related to my rate. Of the 3 elevators, only one was working and we waited for 10 mns before we could board, a few at a time, while a queue was building up… My luggage didn’t make it to my room until 15 mns later…. The elevators continued to be a nuisance all through the stay, we were told that they were used by cleaning ladies… The room ? For the price, I could NOT find anything that would make it any more special or any different from any of the other same-class hotels I have stayed in: two beds, a duvet that was made of plastic, small bathroom, small desk, little closet, drawers that wouldn’t close, and so few minuscule amenities I had to ask for extra shampoo … The towels are not soft, the coffee machine is a nice sophisticated one, but the hot water for the tea tastes like coffee… One day they forgot to replace the mugs and although they sent some up after I had to ask, they didn’t really apologise about it until later in the evening… When I ordered room service they asked my name and room number 3 times – no hellos, no unnecessary politeness or amability. Then they asked me to wait for a minute in the same rushed way and passed me on to someone else who asked my name and room number 3 times and then took more time to ask what the soup was… When the order arrived, the soup was cold, there was no bread nor salt/pepper, no condiments for my meal. The one morning that I tried to get breakfast at the “Bistro”, I had to come in, seat myself, was asked if I had ordered and then ignored and finally got up and realized that I had to go order at the counter and pre-pay there for a Starbucks coffee and some over-salted eggs. I never went again down in the basement to that weird, dark, place.
All in all, I would not stay here again, I wasn’t made to feel comfortable, the staff is not professional, their attitude is not attentive to clients’ needs, and one question for local information to the concierge brought out immediately a proposal for a tour with a company he knew…

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank PallasParis
Reviewed 10 June 2014

In a previous life the hotel was once a bank, and you can see the beauty of that architecture throughout the building. Check out the old bank vault door in the lower ground level, the vaulted ceilings and marble on the ground level, and all the little details that make this a truly beautiful hotel.

The rooms were fantastic, with all the amenities one could desire, and comfortable as well. The pool, though small, was fantastic with it's whirlpool and two gym areas in the downstairs portion. The location cannot be beat and was in walking distance of nearly everything that we wanted to see and do - the Smithsonians are a stone's throw away!

The staff were some of the most helpful I've met while traveling. Check in was painless and equally so was check out. They were happy to hold our luggage while we explored. The concierge pointed us in all the right directions!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JNATravels
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is a cool hotel in in old bank building. We stayed in in room 817. It has great view of the art museum. Super convenient to the gallery place metro stop, less than fifty yards. Staff was super friendly and very helpful. We stayed on a weekend and got an excellent rate so I gave value the highest rating. One thing to be are of, the thermostats are on motion sensing device and go off at night unless you program it to stay on. It is a little tricky at 3 in the morning. It must be reset every 24 hours. I highly recommend this hotel unless you are used to only the utmost luxury in properties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the art gallery up high and away from noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family