“4th of July in DC”

Ranked #44 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne, Florida
“4th of July in DC”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at this Courtyard July 3rd - July 5th. We don't require much. It has to be clean and functional and the staff has to be polite. I have long given up hope of good customer service. They do a great job here! After the fireworks on July 4th, they set up a small table in the elevator lobby with cookies, lemonade and cold beer! GREAT touch!

Valet - I thought it would be a hassle, but the staff made it easy.

Front desk - check-in and check-out were easy. A little long at times as they only had 2 people working.

Room - CLEAN and small. I didn't think the roll-out bed would fit, but surprisingly it did and we all could still walk around in the room. The room was clean. VERY CLEAN. Probably one of the cleanest I've seen in a while and I am one who has Clorox wipes in their carry-on. The room was well thought out. Functional, what space there is in that room, it was not wasted.

Breakfast - The ladies that were working breakfast are great! Very friendly, accommodating, excellent customer service.

Short walking distance to all the things we wanted to see. The mall was an easy walk from the hotel and we even secured a spot on the lawn to watch the fireworks. Short distance to Chinatown as well.

Overall our stay here was great! We don't usually stay on this side of downtown, but will definitely return here in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Divonne-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My colleagues were booked in this hotel so despite a couple of not so good reviews as well as lot of very good reviews on the hotel, I reserved 5 nights.
I asked for a quiet room, not overlooking a busy street, away form the ice machine and elevator. The room they gave me was on the 8th floor. Walking out of the lift to the room was depressing, wallpaper peeling off , carpet in a bad state ( and yes there had been a flood but no none told me). The room was dark and somehow also depressing so I asked if there was something with more light. The manager, Louise, was really amazing and as she was new to this particular hotel wo looked at the available rooms together and found one that seemed better.
What I did not know was that it backed onto the service elevator ( which was used by guests as one of the main ones did not see, to be working) so rumbled every 10 minutes like train was coming - and the AC was not only noisy but because of where it was near the bed, the bed shook when it came on.
Although the bed was comfortable enough - very odd in the way it is made with a sheet, a duvet with no cover and another top sheet- don't they have duvet covers like the other hotels?
The rooms have nice coffee machines and a real cup ( not plastic, so a plus) and the internet was free and good.
But I am afraid that I checked out after a sleepless night ( jet lag + the noise of the AC and elevator) despite the wonderful staff , who were friendly, accommodating and gracious.
The hotel is very central and convenient, so if you are not a light sleeper - it is a good choice - but if you are a light sleeper, find some where else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rafiki99
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while vacationing. Great location, near the sites, metro, and good restaurants. Very helpful and friendly staff. Quiet rooms. We were able to check in very early, and also able to leave our luggage there for the day even after we checked out. Fun to stay in a historic building, and even see the old bank vault door.
Pool is small, but no one was in the pool area when I went to relax in the hot tub, so it was fine for me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this centrally located downtown Courtyard Marriott June 26, 2014 for two nights. The architecture is quite beautiful, apparently this building was once a bank. The vault door is the main attraction when you go downstairs to the breakfast buffet area. We arrived really early, about 10:30 a.m. And although our room was not ready until about 2:00 p.m., the front desk manager was extremely courteous and when our room was ready it was on the 9th floor with a great view of the front of the building. We had a comfortable stay, the room was very clean, we never bothered to figure out the air conditioning and we either froze or we were too warm. I never like the pillows, way too plump, need flatter ones to be comfortable. We always stay in Marriott hotels and we have always had free breakfast, but this Marriott charged $14 for their buffet which didn't even include homemade waffles, that I could see. unless you had to order them from the counter service. One thing we did notice was that the service personnel for the breakfast service were extremely friendly, courteous, helpful and cheerful! Strangely, there was an altercation at breakfast involving about four Arab men, and the women handled the situation well, and even came over to apologize for the disturbance. Great job handling that situation! Too early in the morning for that kind of excitement! We would definitely stay there again, the price per night was reasonable, about $ 165 per night, located perfectly where all the attractions were in walkable distance. Great quick hop over to DC, to see as much as we could see in a short amount of time. The desk manager even extended our check out time to coincide with our shuttle pickup. Great job Marriott! See you again soon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A very nice weekend trip! My wife loved it!!

The good:

- Excellent location. Property is located one block from Madam Tussaud museum and one block from Spy museum. There are also plenty of big and small restaurants in the area to choose from. Big tour bus stop is about two blocks away.
- Valet parking is very convenient since the hotel is located in a very busy area. It is a little bit price though. I believe it was $35 a day. But you don't really need a car in DC unless you have to travel long distances or are not willing to use taxi or public transportation.
- Excellent restaurant on site! It is actually a brewery.
- All the rooms have a nice view. All the windows are facing the main street. So you just need to worry about the floor. The higher the better as usual.
- Bellboy and concierge were extremely friendly and always willing to help.
- Fresh juice and cookies were occasionally served near elevators. Nice touch.

The bad:
- There is a night club in front of the hotel. And it can get noisy at night. Just make sure you are located as high as possible! In the other hand, I did enjoy to see the nightlife as well.
- I also wish the nightly rate was lower than the one I got. But I do believe the location and perks are well paid.

Will definitely recommend this hotel. The on site brewery is a must!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor to avoid noisy night club across the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel was great, especially for the price I paid. The building is beautiful, first of all, and the location is close to all the things you might want to see on a visit to DC: The White House, the Capital, the National Mall, Verizon Center, Chinatown, and more. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Conveniently, there is a restaurant off the lobby, and a breakfast buffet downstairs in the morning near the pool and gym. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DD_Vols2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel is located at a convenient location, the rooms and service was very good. Couldn't venture out of the hotel due to the snow storm, the thermostat failed but the hotel staff was very prompt in responding to the problem.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business