“Perfect location; great staff”

Courtyard Washington Convention Center
Ranked #46 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Two girlfriends and I made DC into a concert weekend & chose the Marriott because of its close proximity to the Verizon Center. We had a great experience from the time we arrived. We were able to check in before 3; we received excellent service upon check-in (and also expedient check out with baggage hold upon departure); bellman/valet parking associate were waiting & helpful; rollaway bed was requested/delivered within minutes; a problem with room door access was solved immediately. Room was clean, comfortable & quiet. We didn't use pool or exercise room with our busy "city" schedule--but both appeared neat, clean, & adequate. Valet parking is the way to go -- as street parking is difficult to impossible even during check-in time (with no pull-off area at hotel entrance). Cyril @ valet parking desk is the greatest DC ambassador! He offered friendly advice and suggestions on transportation, restaurants, & local attractions. We extended our parking (for an additional fee) and were quite surprised to find our car waiting at the hotel entrance when the concert was over! Incredible service from this man. We found this friendly & helpful atmosphere throughout the City while visiting museums, memorials, the Kennedy Center, the Basicila, the Verizon Center, and many restaurants. Super weekend!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)

Reviewed 6 November 2008

Ok, I have stayed at a lot of DC hotels and was a former resident for 15 years and just for information I am staying here for 9 days on business.

When you stay here you are really staying for the location. For business or tourist - it can not be beat. Near Chinatown and the Verizon Center, close to the mall for tourist activities, plenty of eateries and culture. You are dead center for midtown DC. Aside from that, the Courtyard is in a great looking old bank building - but the looks are mostly from the outside. The inside, well its furnished traditional, and not modern or hip or even updated. The room are very basic. You get tube TV, so-so mattresses and dated decor. The bathroom while clean, was more holiday inn, then Marriott. I stayed here for the advertised free internet, but I can tell you it was very very slow, and good for only basic surfing .. not live video chatting or quick surfing. Too bad. The eatery was ok, but just go out even for breakfast for better fare. You are attached to the Gorden Biersch Brewery which has great happy hour and very convienient for getting a late night bite as well.

The staff is friendly, but you never get a greeting coming in and out once you check in. I was tempted to switch hotels for a better bed and better TV and internet, but was too lazy. You won't be disappointed, just dont expect much more.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank kirk20003
Reviewed 3 November 2008

As a Marriott Gold member, I can say I have seen the inside of many a Marriott property. I should have known this one was not going to be the cleanest when I walked in and saw the entry carpet, very worn and VERY dirty. The front desk staff could not have been nicer, but once I got into my cubical of a room, I was thankful my stay was for only one night. the room was not the cleanest, nor did the plumbing function properly. The plumbing problem was brought to the attention of the staff and was worked on, but the toliet still did not flush properly. They tried but did not succeed. Overall, the condition of the room and furniture can be described as WORN and tired. This property needs some TLC to make it up to the standards of a Marriott. The staff is polite and professional, no doubt about that!! Marriott, get it together, this could be a gem!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2008

This hotel is in a great location, close to the Spy Museum and Portrait Gallery downtown.

The concept of converting a former bank building into a hotel is a unique one, and my wife and I typically really appreciate (and seek out) re-use buildings like this.

However, during the time we were there, we experienced some mechanical problems that Marriott needs top resolve in this building. I won't go into great detail, but at check in, they were in the middle of a power outage that seemed very inpredictable in its resolution. One guest had been stuck on an elevator (which he should not have been allowed to even get on) for 20 minutes. Then, on our final morning, the hotel had no hot water - something that is completely inexcusable to me.

Aside from this, the furnishings were acceptable - typical Courtyard level, but the mattresses need updating - our king was pretty worn.

With a bit of upgrading and updating, this would be a super place to stay in downtown Washington.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I stayed in the Marriott in Washington during a business trip but only for one night. The hotel was very busy - there was a mix of business and tourist clientele. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The room was what you'd expect in a 3* Marriott - nothing special but clean and reasonably well equipped. I didn't eat there (either for breakfast or dinner). I took a trip instead to the Old Ebbitt Grill restaurant (a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel)with some work colleagues and the meal was excellent. I would recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2008

reasonable rate for family of four (approx. $149) in a great location. Room was very comfortable and clean. In room internet was a little slow, but this was not our priority. Several convenient stores located near hotel for family snacks and quick meals ( CVS, subway, bread/bagel store). One week day there was a farmers market a few blocks from the hotel (maybe it was Thursday?) Great location, easy to walk to most sights.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ldb61
Reviewed 9 August 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this Courtyard Marriott. I stayed for a long weekend, arrived early morning. The very friendly staff managed an early check-in for me and stored my luggage until ready. I booked a double room and received one that faced the Spy Museum across the street...very comfortable and clean. 2-double beds, comfortable chair, workdesk w/ ergonomic chair and free internet, tv w/all the channels I like plus several sports channels. The bathroom was clean w/plenty towels.

Loved the fact that it was in an old bank building (small and cozy, which I like), so plenty of original trim and marble. The elevators required your room key in order to access your floor, which I liked because it restricted access. The cafe (which I believe serves only breakfast) was in the basement level was very comfy and nice...the breakfast buffet was ample w/selections and very good..eggs made to order, food very tasty and replenished regularly. The wait staff were very pleasant.

As a major tea drinker, one of my favorite amenities was the fact that I could select a variety of teas from a tea chest in the main level guest area, along with half-and-half and splenda, to take to my room and have tea whenever I wanted....I really enjoy my tea!

I thought the location was perfect....walking distance to major attractions (if you are a walker, which I am not), close to the metro and another transportation system called the 'dc circulator' (which I used for all 3 days there)....loved it! It is also in a very safe area...after hours, when the street and major pedestrian traffic slowed down, people were socializing at the outdoor cafes, walking their dogs, etc. Felt very safe.

Families stayed there, singles, couples, tourists....if you are looking for a high end business hotel, this one is not for you, otherwise, I think it is a gem.

Since I loved the location, the breakfast, the room rate, and especially the tea, I would not hesitate to stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business