Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
  • Breakfast included
US$301
US$257
  • Room Service
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
US$418
US$148
US$237
US$194
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
US$193
US$165
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$195
Travelocity
3,112 results
All reviewswhite housegrist millgreat locationmetro stationdirectly across the streetwithin walking distancefew blocksnational mallstreet noiseblue linewould stay here againbreakfast buffetindoor poolhotel restaurantsmithsonian museumssight seeingfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My family (wife and 22 month old daughter) and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 3 nights, Thur-Sun, during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The hotel is located in downtown DC within walking distance to multiple subway lines, most of the sites and attractions, and plenty of restaurants.
We arrived a couple of hours early and early check-in was not a problem. As a HHonors Gold member I received two free bottles of water and vouchers for free breakfast every morning for all three of us. The valet took our bags and brought us to our room. Parking your car is steep at $45/day (tax included) but parking downtown in any major city is expensive.
Room: We had a 1 King Bed room on the 5th floor facing the street. The size of the room was sufficient for my family and the fridge and microwave are always convenient to have. The bed was firm and comfortable for me but too firm for my wife. My daughter didn't have any complaints.

There have been many mentions of street noise and I can attest to that. While it didn't keep my family up or wake us I can understand why light sleepers can be bothered by it. I did notice there was significantly more noise at night on the weekdays than the weekend.
Service: The entire staff was very friendly. The doormen would recognize us from half a block away and have the doors open for us. We were always greeted with a smile at the lobby and restaurant.

Dining: We had breakfast at the hotel every morning since it was included as a Gold member. Otherwise, it's $15 per person. The breakfast was buffet style with cooked to order omelets and waffles. Warm foods included scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, cubed potatoes, french toast and pancakes. My daughter has a dairy allergy and they accommodated her by making omelets with no dairy and they also had soy milk. The staff at breakfast was always very warm and friendly. I would give the breakfast a 3.5/5.
We had dinner at the hotel one night. I plan on writing a separate detailed review but the food was good and so was the service. I recommend the Lobster Mac and Cheese, Beef Stroganoff and if they have the Hailbut and Risotto special go for it! Dinner gets a 4/5.

On our last visit to DC in 2009 during the festival we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Arlington, VA. We had to take the subway every day to see the sites. That in itself is not a big deal but with a child now it was so much easier to be able to walk to all the attractions and restaurants without taking any mass transit.

Restaurants in the area that I recommend are Potbelly Sandwich shop for warm subs, Cafe Mozart for authentic German food, Ceiba for delicious Latin food, Frozenyo for froyo, and Saxybys for good cup of coffee. Please also be aware that some of the restaurants in the area are only open Mon-Fri.

I highly recommend this hotel in downtown DC.

4  Thank travelbman
Reviewed 10 April 2013

On our last trip to Washington, DC, we spent five days at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown. Previously, we had stayed at more historic hotels. The downtown location for the Hilton was perfect for walking and using the metro. It was amazing to spend each late afternoon in Lafayette Park drinking a cup of coffee while watching the White House. It was a short walk to our hotel. In fact, there are many excellent restaurants close to the Hilton.
The service at the Hilton was unsurpassed. When we left each morning, the staff made a point to say goodbye, and they welcomed us back each evening. The full breakfast and restaurant service is excellent. When I complimented the staff on the five star service, they responded with, "It is all due to teamwork." That positive teamwork is obvious to each guest. The business center, since this was a working vacation, was superb.
I recommend the Hilton Garden Inn without hesitation. We will be staying again on our next trip to Washington.

Room Tip: If you want a very quiet room, the the top floors on the south side are great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Adrian C
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed five nights over one of the busiest weeks in DC (march 31st to April 4th). Its close to the White House, walking distance to the mall, Spy Museum and more. A good selection of family restaurants in the neighborhood. Best of all, there is a metro station across the street that we made ample use of! The kids loved it!

The room was large enough for our family (2 adults, 2 children - 7 yo and 11 yo). The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool was small and crowded (no jacuzzi) but apparently pools are hard to come by in DC hotels. Free coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby in the morning. We ate breakfast there twice because we had vouchers -- skip the breakfast if you don't and go to COSI next door for a good breakfast sandwhich, bagel or smoothie. Cookies in the lobby in the afternoon and a reasonable (though limited) happy hour. We ate dinner there one evening and the food was surprisingly reasonable, though we avoided the main entrees. The beds were a bit firm for my taste.

2  Thank Amy S
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I read the reviews prior to booking this hotel and although we worried about the traffic noise, we did not see how to avoid this in a downtown area in any hotel...My family of four checked in very late Easter Sunday due to the horrendous traffic coming into DC. We were stressed and exhausted after an 11 hour car ride but were quickly greeted by the valet guys. Once inside, the front desk staff could not have been any more wonderful. This is where I begin to go on and on about Eddie...what an AWESOME person to have working for you! He has the skill to read people so quickly...truly a gift. Eddie was able to detect our personalities and on each and every encounter, made us feel comfortable and welcome in this hotel. He did not do anything in particular but he always addressed my kids and us, by name, joked with us, gave us great recommendations, suggestions, for restaurants etc. We missed him during his two days off in the middle of our stay...Now, I know that 1 person can not make a hotel great so I will have to also say that every morning, our breakfast experience was superb with both the gentleman host and every single server and chef who made the omelets and waffles.

We stayed at this hotel for a six days and it was great! I read the recent posts by other patrons and it seems we stayed the same time period...I think the monetary mistakes made by the hotel was an individually made mistake but the other complaints about the restaurant, breakfast, etc., is consusing...We ate at the restaurant, twice for dinner, once for a late night snack, and every breakfast. We had kids pasta, kids mac and cheese, bbq ribs, fried calamari, wings, brussel sprouts (which i ordered three times during our stay!), caesar salad and arugula salad. Everything was great, with the exception of the arugula salad because they forgot several of the ingredients in this. They however, just took that salad off the bill. Problem addressed and fixed.

I also read a review about the nightly cookies and coffee. Just to set the record straight, the coffee was available all morning (for free) and many afternoons, plus hot water and hot cocoa. The cookies were delicious and different each night, and people need to realize that this is an EXTRA perk that is not offered by all hotels. To criticize the cookies is ridiculous...DON'T eat it! It's that simple.

Everyone has different tastes in food, etc. I am a food snob. I am particular and expect to receive what I pay for. Breakfast is breakfast...There is only so much you can do for breakfast. I want to make clear that the omelets were freshly made to your liking (delicious), as well as fabulous waffles! Bacon, sausage and corned beef hash were available every day and last time I checked, those meats are ALWAYS greasy--wipe it with a napkin...or don't eat it. The breakfast also consisted of scrambled eggs, toast, bagels with cream cheese, muffins and danishes, hard boiled eggs, fresh cantaloupe, honey dew and pineapple, yogurt, grits and oatmeal. I have to say that those are some serious options. The wait staff at breakfast were always friendly. We had one lady server twice, and the second time, she just brought me a diet coke for breakfast and one to go at the end of our meal. :)

What I loved most about this hotel is the availability of service and the type of service it provided (and Eddie). People were so friendly and eager to be of help. My boys have never commented about a hotel staff and we travel A LOT. They wanted to bring Eddie home with us...he was that awesome.

The convenience of the metro in the front of the hotel could not have been any better after a long exhausting day walking all over DC. This hotel made our first time in DC, GREAT!

Room Tip: higher streets, away from 14th street would be quieter
1  Thank SooperJ2S
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We spent one week at the Hilton Garden Inn in Washington DC and never had a problem with anything. The room was large with a frig and microwave and safe. Have never met a more wonderful staff who seemed to be enjoying their job by making every guest feel welcome and comfortable. It was a wonderful experience to not feel like a number. In fact, they often called us by name.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple