“High Rate for a mediocre hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the location. One of the best in town. But I paid a high rate for both the room and for parking. I found out I paid at least $100 more than other guests.!!!!! I tried to negotiate a better rate and they would not offer me anything. Not even one night free parking. Pool was not a pool - it was a bathtub. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The food in the restaurant was nothing to brag about. Restaurant is ugly. Looks like a high end cafeteria. The buffet area was not appetizing. Comfort inn has a better buffet area than this hotel and Comfort Inn is not as expensive as this hotel. Overall, the staff is great the hotel value sucks for what you get. I've stayed at other hotels at the same rate and have had better experience than this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

I appreciate the review regarding your recent stay with us.

Located in the heart of Washington, DC space is a premium. Our pool is not large enough to do laps but good as a place to let kids burn off some extra energy. Our parking rates are actually lower than comparable hotels in our area.

Rates do vary from when you book, day of arrival, and length of stay. There is not just one flat rate. Staying Monday-Thursday is going to be the most expensive for any length of stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding out staff. We hope you will consider staying with us when the city is not in such high demand.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,054)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very clean and quiet (I am very picky on noise - and this hotel turns out OK). Requested for a quiet room facing back and got a room next to linen and ice vending machine. The room must have very good sound insulation, so it turns out OK. There was a constant background noise, seems to be central air. Very occasionally siren in the distant. The garbage truck makes big noise between 6 and 7 but I usually already woke up by then so it did not bother me. Very good location. 20 minutes walk to the mall. Metro is right cross the street. Cab fare is less than $10 to the Capitol or Lincoln Memorial, or union square. Excellent service, front desk is very helpful, so is the conceige. The pool is small but very nice. Breakfast is good. Love the omelet. Dinner on the first day is OK, not much choices though. There are plenty of restaurants nearby, we ordered delivery the remaining days. Overall, this will be my first choice to DC when visit again.

1  Thank charlesriver_10
Reviewed 22 April 2014

2 1/2 blocks to White House, 15 minute walk to the museums, 30 minutes to the Tidal Basin. What a perfect location! Arrived at the hotel at 11am. We had requested 2 double beds and they didn't have a room ready yet. We told them we just wanted to get checked in and really didn't care about the bed set-up and they happily found us a room with one king bed that was ready. Room was clean, good size, and had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and safe. Bed was comfortable. Need your room card to get the elevator to go to your floor - a security feature I like! Concierge was super friendly and booked us a private car and driver back to the airport that was the same price as a cab! Reasonably priced compared to the other hotels in the same area.

Room Tip: Some street noise if you face the front but ear plugs are thoughtfully supplied in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacqlynnToronto
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very good service, very good location, friendly, but ear plugs in room for a reason, very street noisy........new windows would do wonders............staff very good, right across the street from Metro!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street would be recommended.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelwest2103
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked two rooms months in advance. Spoke to Hilton Honors and hotel staff requesting high room and rooms connected. Hotel staff assured me all would be right. Upon check-in, we got a second floor room. Traffic noise from street was bad. Hotel had no other rooms that would keep rooms together. Hotel staff should have made better accommodations.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review are hotel.

I am sorry that the room configuration was not what you expected. We assigned the adjoining rooms per your request however by the time you arrived, we could not find the same layout elsewhere in the hotel. We do our best to honor all requests and we offer some options the next day.

Please let me know the next time you visit Washington. I would like the opportunity to earn your trust.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I'd call this hotel average. I was excited by the seemingly lower prices for suites, but they are shoebox-small with one small interior courtyard window in the bedroom so a bit claustrophobic. When I called about it, I was told that all suites only had one interior window. The hotel was also a bit less kid-friendly than I thought -- the room service menu is tied to the restaurant, which has nothing like a kids menu, so we were forced to get delivery pizza. The food options were sparse for adults as well. The indoor pool was tiny, but the 6-year-old (and the other 5 kids in it) did not mind at all. The bathrooms are fairly small and we had some issues with the rooms not being entirely cleaned (and we were switched for that). The beds were some very soft take on tempur-pedic so a bit uncomfortable and not supportive. The location was very good, across from the metro and on the Smithsonian line. The front desk staff were generally friendly and helpful.

1  Thank kateinphilly

Thank you for your feedback.

We will look at some creative ways we can implement to make the hotel more kid friendly. We do offer a kids menu in the restaurant which may not be displayed in the rooms. On the weekends we will offer movies in the ballroom by the pool if not in use which during the week you may have missed.

I hope you will come back and see us to see the improvements!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great location, good breakfast, great rooms. Ask for a room away from the street—there's a park a block away that has regular dance weekend parties—that's not bad, but many drivers honk their horns passing the fun. That's bad. Otherwise a great place to stay.

Room Tip: away from the street noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple