“Jonathan made our vacation”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a little dated (1 month, but I wanted to publish it before it got any older. We had a great experience in DC and the concierge (Jonathan) at the Hilton Garden Inn (815 14th Street N.W.) gets the credit. I wanted to make sure he got kudos for his help. We visited DC for a long weekend). It was my wife’s first trip to DC and my first trip for pleasure. I’d walked the Mall, but little else. We did a little prep work and gotten some restaurant recommendations from friends. My wife was weeks away from having back surgery and we weren’t able to do much walking, but wanted to try and get this trip in.

We arrived in the morning, checked into the hotel, and took a cab to the Capital Building for a pre-arranged tour. We scouted out the “hop on hop off” buses and the pedicycles, but they just didn’t seem to offer the kind of tour we were looking for. I travel a lot and I have never used concierge services or organized bus tours. But we didn’t have much time and I thought it was worth a try. Jonathan spent a lot of time with me and recommended On-board tours. He felt that their staff (all belonging to a guild for tour guides) made all the difference. He was right. We ended up taking two On-Board tours. The tour guides (and the bus drivers) were all characters in their own right. Each was a wealth of information and each seemed to have a genuine interest in sharing their city with their guests.

Jonathan also helped us get reservations at a restaurant I had been unable to get us into, had suggestions about the best way to avoid the lines at Georgetown Cupcakes, and the merits of Clydes for brunch (it was very good). So, many thanks to Jonathan. You made our trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roy O
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My Girl Scout troop came to Washington DC to deliver donated cookie for our Military Service Men and Women. We stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights. The room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Loved the coffee that was set up on another floor. I was a little disappointed there wasn't a continental breakfast, but they did have coffee and that was most important to me. My daughter and I also loved the gym. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank artgoddess1
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent hotel as far as location. It is centrally located to all of the monuments, eateries, shopping, everything. The staff are very hospitable and make you feel welcome right away. Also, they remember and address you by your last name every time they see you entering or leaving during the duration of your stay!! And, the lobby is cozy, inviting, the drinks are great and the food served in the restaurant was excellent! Loved our stay here and will definitely stay again.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although this was not my first choice of a location, I was pleasantly suprised with the hotel. The breakfast buffet included an omlette and waffle station as well as the usual breakfast foods. The public spaces are small but the rooms are full sized and very clean. Overall a very good experience. For a pleasant dinner, try the nearby Mozart Cafe, which is owned by an Austrian and serves German food.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great location, staff and quality of hotel. I stay here for business and when I've come back with my family to DC. It's close to the national mall and white house. Staff is helpful and knowledgeable. I've stayed here multiple times and it's difficult to come up with anything critical. Great value.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband, daughter and I just spent 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown at Washington Dc and could not have more pleased. The ;beds and pillows were very comfortable and had a microwave, coffee and tea and a small fridge in our room.
Their restaurant "The Grist Mill" had a wonderful buffet breakfast and the evening meal menu is something for everbody's taste with reasonable prices. No need to go out after a day of being a tourist or on business. The waiter, Anthony and our water boy, Roger , were very professional and friendly. I cannot speak greater accolades for their service which was impeccable. The convenience of the Metro stop, McPherson, was right across the street. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have a disability equest a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sharonite
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a week, making it our base for a week of sightseeing in DC. One block from the Metro and a grocery store next door made it a great base. One stop on the Metro we were at Union Station. One weekend night there was excessive noise (college rivalry weekend?) but the manager was quick to comp our room for the night. The rest of the stay was uneventful. Overall the staff was pleasant, the property and rooms were well maintained and we felt safe in the area even at night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple