“Hotel Very Nice - Staff Very Good”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington, United States
“Hotel Very Nice - Staff Very Good”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel staff was very friendly and totally accommodating through our stay from check-in to transportation for our group. We were in a group of 10 and did not book a block of rooms together but the staff did a great job in getting our rooms close. The rooms décor is updated and they were very clean.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight to avoid having to drive home late at night after a friends party. Initially I chose it because it was close to metro but we later chose not to utilize metro at all, though next time we would.

Staff was friendly, even when we ended up parking our own car in the valet only garage--which I don't recommend doing. It was totally accidental on our part. We didn't know and garage said for guests only. Even though I'm sure they were annoyed with us they didn't let it show.
We got a king room which I felt was reasonably priced. Room was great. Clean. Great bed and shower. Can't comment on pillows as I bring my own. Only complaint is there wasn't a fan in bathroom. I opened the door a crack both times I took a hot shower and both times the smoke detector went off which is located right above the bath door. It looked like someone tried to remove the outer case of the detector before our arrival so I'm assuming this has happened to others as well.

Their restaurant has surprisingly good food. Crab cakes with no filler. Flatbread pizza app was yummy as was calamari. Can't comment much on drinks. Hubby had wine and I had a mixed drink that wasn't great but not by their fault. I chose the rail special and there's def a difference in rail vodka Vs grey goose.

Very convenient to downtown sites . We walked to White House, monument and holocaust museum. Spent $98 on double decker bus which was ok but not great. Only did one loop as we had time constraints but slot of that time on bus was sitting in traffic. But it's a good way to get around if you want to see everything. There's a few stops close to hotel. We would def utilize again if we stayed more than one day.

Parking was about $43 I think. I think next time we would take metro in. Valet hailed a cab for us to get to our party. Was abt $10 from hotel to get to Columbia heights.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah9540
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Good concierge, reception, room cleaning. Quality 3 stars OK. But breakfast is not adaequate and breakfast service by some women (best service by to men garson). We were there for 8 days. Very good located at McPherson Square Metro.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Garden. Staff was very kind--especially the Concierge. We were within walking distance to most of the sites in DC. This hotel only has King size and Double beds. As we were 4 people we needed 2 beds. Double beds are small for 2 adults and they were very uncomfortable. We ate breakfast and dinner at the Grist Mill. The food was good and reasonably priced. We would highly recommend the Hilton Gardens.

1 Thank MacMore
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I spent three nights in DC with my 16 year old son and the HGI downtown was our base camp.

From check in to check out I was impressed with the customer service offered by the front desk employees. Allie worked every day during our stay and wowed us with her customer service. We also had positive interaction with Daniel at the front desk.

Rooms were clean, bright and up to date. Breakfast buffet / staff met expectations.

Location was perfect for walking the sights in DC.

I highly recommend this property for your next stay in DC.

Stayed August 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights and it was fine for our purposes. Check in could have been better - we arrived early and were told to come back at 3pm which is the official check in time. I arrived back at 3.30 and our rooms were not ready. Had to wait until after 4pm. Staff were friendly and helpful. Clean and comfortable. Street noise is a problem with a brass band playing on the corner at 7am. Out of the hotel's control but as we were on the 8th floor we didn't expect so much noise from the street. Lots of sirens going all the time and I guess Washington is just a really noisy city.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2014

No issues recommending this hotel whatsoever. It isn't anything fancy but a reasonably new room and good service made it a great striking out point for touring DC. My only issue is the valet parking which at $39+tax/night is a bit steep. Cost of convenience. There is also a lot of road noise but they do provide ear plugs free of charge if you need them! Our family doesn't have issues with street noise so we were fine.

The kids enjoyed the hotel - and the proximity to attractions is extremely convenient. Nothing specific to the hotel but there are a lot of homeless people in downtown DC - it was a bit surprising to me. We never felt unsafe but the kids got to hear some colorful profanity when people didn't contribute to the panhandling. I'm not sure much of it was coherent to them but I sure understood it!

We had a great meal in the restaurant which I'll review separately. Recommend the Spy Museum and Newseum if you are looking for more family friendly activities.

1 Thank Bitamp