“Close to Everything”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Stayed here at the end of March to see the Pompeii exhibit. This Hotel is great! We walked
to everything and our room was quite nice. Staff was very friendly and we felt completely safe staying in this section of downtown D.C. Will stay here again next time we visit Washington.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travelPittsburgh
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed 14 April 2009

We wanted to be near all the major DC attractions. The HGI was indeed the perfect location for our family getaway, 2 blocks away from the White house and within walking distance of the all the museums situated on the Mall and 6 blocks away from the Verizon Center. The staff was welcoming. Front desk very efficent. Maids polite and friendly. The hotel has an indoor pool which the kids loved after a day visiting. The room was standard size and well appointed with a large flat screen tv and free Internet. The parking fee is expansive ($30/night), so we used it only on the first night and took advantage of free parking on the street during the weekend to save some $. The Metro is just accross the street. The neighboorhood is clean and safe, so we would definitely go back to the Hilton Garden Inn at Franklin Square.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Juneau67
Reviewed 13 April 2009

For the price you cannot beat it. We prepaid for 140 a night for 3 nights and we loved our stay. Arrived a Reagan got on the metro and 10 mins later we are at the hotel right across the street. The rooms were very nice for a 3 star hotel and we loved the bed and pillows. The staff was relatively good and helpful. I do not know about the noise factor complaints, but we did not notice. I do not think you can always blame the hotel for the people staying across from you. You’re in the city and the rooms are close to each other. Sometimes you just luck out.

Location!!!!
We walked 5 mins to the White House and Ebbit grill one day and on the next to the Oceanaire Restaurant the next day was about 10 mins. Hop on the Metro and 3 stops later your in the Mall area. The only time we really took a taxi form the Hotel is to Georgetown and the National Cathedral because the Metro does not go there

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beanersts
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My wife and I have stayed in a number of hotels in and about the Capital District during the last few years. For this weekend visit (March 27-29, 2009, during Cherry Blossom Festival), we decided to stay at this HGI once again – we previously stayed there in February 2008. I must say that once again, we were quite pleased with our stay at this hotel.

The plusses: Location – The hotel is in a great location for visiting DC. The National Mall is just a few blocks away, as is the White House. Theatres are also nearby as are museums (this time we visited the newly refurbished Museum of American History on the Mall – crowded with families, but good. The hotel is across the street from the McPherson Square Metro stop. There are many dining options within easy walking distance. For dinner we tried the Bistro D’oc (the steak frites was very good) and DC Coast (very good but somewhat pricey). Both were within blocks of the HGI. Room rate: we got a reasonable “Double Points, Double Miles” Hilton Honors promo rate (under $140), 'reasonable' especially considering it was Cherry Blossom time in DC. The bed was comfortable and the wide screen high definition TV and refrigerator and microwave were plusses. We did not have any noise issues at all. The breakfast buffet, which is included if you are a HHonors member (otherwise it’s $15), was really quite good. The dining room was very pleasant and the service was attentive.

The decor of the refurbished hotel was tasteful and our eleventh floor room overlooking 14th Street (not much of a scenic view) was OK. I’m not sure what the rooms not overlooking 14th Street have as a view (alleyways, or, based on other reviews, a brick wall, perhaps?), so I’d be sure to request a street view room on a high floor (as I did). We had more than enough space in which to feel comfortable. There is free internet (hard wired and WiFi) which should be standard in hotels but in many cases is not. The staff (housekeeping, valet parking, front desk, restaurant) was very attentive, helpful and friendly.

The minuses: The valet parking was a pricey ($30), but that’s a given in DC. The small exercise room had only four pieces of older equipment, no weights and was inadequate in my wife’s opinion. We once again enjoyed our stay in this hotel and being in this part of town.
As I’ve stated previously, this HGI is certainly one of the better DC hotel options, taking various factors (price, location, value . . .) into consideration.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ENBB
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Although this Hilton sits in an ideal spot bang in the middle of Washington, my review isn't going to make you instantly want to stay here.

The good points......
• Location is perfect, across from Metro stop and less than 10mins walk to White House
• Lobby is nice with free internet room for guests
• Superb breakfast
• Room walls are well soundproofed

The bad points......
• Free Coffee service in lobby stops after breakfast!!!
• Pool is tiny, with kids in it there's no room for adults
• Annoying fruit flies buzzing around the breakfast room
• Room very dark, poor/bad placed lighting
• Climate control air con machine is big annoyance
• Bathroom old fashioned, shower fixing broken
• Beds are way too hard, and duvet full of dust

So, there are too many issues here. I have to say I felt the staff were hardly welcoming or helpful too. This is probably due to the hotel being geared towards the business sector - but for me, it falls midway between tourist and business, and somehow falls short of my high Hilton expectations.

So no return for me then.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank chris036
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Well, let's start with the heater that had a lock on it so I couldn't turn the fan off without help from maintenance. That took an hour and two visits from maintenance. Then let's get to the drunk guest across the hall -- yes, the one I called the front desk about, whose response was to contact the police, who then woke me up a SECOND time to escort the guy out. Why do hotels insist on getting drunkard arrested? Flash forward to 5 a.m., when my room overlooking the back alley echoed with the sounds of the city garbage truck emptying the dumpster. The staff were less than apologetic about the whole thing. The only thing I can say in the hotel's favor is that at least I wasn't paying for the sleepless night. But I am a huge fan of the Hilton chain (even have the Hilton Honors Amex card) and they let me down in a major way this time.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2009

PROS: Clean room, helpful staff, plenty of room for 3 adults

CONS: Noisy due to thin walls, window views of brick walls

My wife, myself, and a family friend recently stayed at this hotel for a few nights and overall it was an average experience. This hotel is very clean and nice, but the walls are so thin that you can hear everything in neighboring rooms. I'd say that our neighbors were just being loud, but we could hear small noises like keys being set on tables, curtains opening, etc. (which can be very annoying at 3am).
Our view (or lack thereof) was also quite disappointing, which was of a brick wall 3 feet from the window. Fortunately, we didn't have to spend a lot of time there and instead filled our days with sight seeing. However, I was happy to find our room quite spacious with a desk and plenty of room to work, even though we had double beds and an armchair in the room. All in all, this stay was average, neither good nor bad.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Cheapstay