“One of the best hotel experiences I've ever had”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My husband my best friend and I spent 10/2-10/4 here -- I am a junkie for TripAdvisor and use it as my guide to all things travel -- the reviews did not disappoint - the hotel is literally a 5 minute walk to the White House and just a couple more minutes to the Mall. The staff is amazing - Eddie at the front desk kept me in stitches the entire time we were there -- he even ridiculed me jokingly about my obsession for maps -- Mark the Valet was such a nice guy - the entire staff was wonderful, helpful and accommodating but these 2 gentlemen really stood out. My friend stayed behind on Saturday because she wasn't feeling all that well and when we came downstairs, Mark asked where she was and how she was doing because he hadn't seen her all day -- I can't remember how many floors there were but the fact that they remembered who we were was really a nice personal touch - and we aren't high brow society types -- we don't get to vacation often ad certainly don't have scads of money so they were definitely not trying to suck up -- just being nice and friendly.

The room was great -- nice and big and airy with a HUGE bathroom - microwave and mini fridge which really came in handy -- also loved the free wifi - we brought our laptop with us and it really helped with restaurant reviews, tickets, etc. Neutrogena products in the bathroom and Henry Miller ergonomic chairs -- if you don't this guy, his products run around $1,000 ea!! Free cookies and coffee at night -- we didn't eat in the restaurant but I did go down one night to get some tonic water (for those g&ts in our room :)) and the bartender was really nice.

We didn't use the metro across the street -- Eddie suggested we go to the metro station a couple of blocks away so we wouldn't have to change trains - but it was nice to have a train so close by -- and incredibly easy to navigate around the city

I'm sure the hotel is more expensive during the holidays, cherry blossom, etc. but we paid $150/night and it was the best hotel money we've ever spent - an excellent time and will definitely stay there again when we go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweetbaboo825
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed 8 October 2009

This was a quick vacation, the destination a whim based on proximity and the fact that we hadn't been to DC since grade school. I chose the Hilton Garden Inn on the same basis and the fact that it has an indoor pool and fitness center, a must for really bad-weather days. The rooms looked fine in the online pics. What doesn't show online is that this hotel has the best staff I've ever encountered and one of the nicest restaurants. We don't travel often, so we are very picky about accommodations. The Hilton Garden did not disappoint. The room was spacious and comfortable despite the fact that it is a "city" hotel. We were easily able to make all the touristy arrangements we wanted through the concierge desk, and the staff was friendly and helpful at all times. Free wired/wireless internet in the rooms and the lobby made it easy to search out the best activities on my laptop. That the hotel is within walking distance of the White House and the National Mall and directly across the street from a Metro station (with a passable sushi restaurant at street level) made this trip a real vacation. I could live without the $30/night parking fee, which isn't included in the room rate, but that seems to be typical of DC hotels. Given the location, we didn't move the car from arrival till departure, so we probably made up the cost in lost time and energy seeking parking spots in a vehicle-unfriendly area. When we were ready to leave, it took only 10 minutes for the valet to locate and produce the car and load our luggage. That's a record in our book! I have nothing bad to say about the Hilton Garden, and we will definitely stay there again on our next trip, which will be as soon as possible. A good hotel makes the entire vacation worth a repeat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My husband and I recently spent four nights at the HGI and couldn't have been more pleased. Our room was very clean, nicely appointed, and had all the amenities we consider important (fridge, microwave, coffeepot, quality toiletries, and a comfortable bed.) The location is excellent--walking distance to many attractions. The Metro is right across the street if one isn't up to walking. The valet parking charge-$30 plus tax per night is a bit steep, but in line as parking fees go in that area. If it is a leisure trip and dates can be flexible, the rates can be very good. The rates for weekend stays will often be less than half of weekday rates. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it when visiting Washington DC.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

My husband and I recently stayed here for a weekend getaway and to tour the city. We requested that our room be ready early (11AM), and it was ready when we arrived. We booked a regular room with a king size bed. The staff was very friendly. We were making small talk with the woman checking us in and told her we were in the city for our Anniversary. Several hours later, we got a knock at the door from room service. They had sent up a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. They even included a cute Happy Anniversary card on the tray. We were so impressed by the gesture.
The room was comfortable. Not small and not large. The bed was cozy with soft white linens. Flat screen TV and free wi-fi were a plus. The bathroom was plenty roomy and had been updated. Our window did look at another building but who cares. We cared about a clean room and a comfy bed. I'd say the room was a 7 on a scale of 10.
The hotel is right across the street from the Metro stop. We took the metro to the capital building. It's within walking distance to the museums, monuments and the white house. You couldn't ask for a better location. Very convenient. We ate dinner at 2 restaurants that were super close.(just about a block each) Siroc and Potenza. Both were italian and both were very tasty! Siroc is more expensive, but had homemade everything. I'd go back to both. We did breakfast at Cosi next door. It has breakfast sandwiches. Good and fast option. The hotel breakfast is 12.95 a person.
Parking is $30 a night plus tax. Complimentary hot tea and coffee were in the lobby every morning. Free, fresh cookies every evening.
We were really pleased with our stay and the overall experience.

1  Thank ash2882
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Got a good deal on a suite for three nights at $161 per night prepaid. Suite was decent sized but with one small window on a air shaft so no natural light. Decor was all brown which added to the cave like feeling. Reported broken TV in bedroom but it wasn't repaired in the three days we were there. Decent bath with good lighting but crack in the sink. All in all the place felt tired and dark. Handy location for the museums on the Mall and a metro station is close. And a good price for DC.

Reviewed 18 September 2009

Service upon check in was very good (Eddie if I am not wrong was very friendly and efficient all the time). Room was clean and have enough space.

Location very near White House and you can even walk to many places around, so we only need to buy a day-pass Metrocard one day as we wanted to go a bit far (Capitol & Arlington). If not, with comfortable shoes you can move around without needs for taxis.

Breakfast was very good as it was full American breakfast with many selections and very good service from the staff.

Location opposite a subway station across the street was very good and you also have many shops around if you want to buy some extra drinks and food.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

Moments away from The White House, The National Portrait Gallery, Macey's etc. with a metro just outside the hotel to go further to Tysons Corner/Gallery or Capitol Hil or Arlington etc.
Room was 502, a corner room, lots of space and good views, two double beds, very clean with shower, fridge, microwave and a brilliant but small swimming pool in the basement. What more could I ask for?

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple