“Perfect location, amazing rates, friendly staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #56 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Shenandoah, Texas
“Perfect location, amazing rates, friendly staff”
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We have no complaints about our stay at the hotel. The kids loved the lower level indoor pool, the rooms were clean, staff was very friendly, buffet and even dinner one night was good (try the crab cakes!), location was absolutely perfect! We didn't use the metro...didn't need to, even with 2 small kids and 3 teenagers that our friends traveled with. Took the bus one day from Union Station (only $1!!) and got off only about 2 blocks or so from the hotel. Near great restaurants too. For the price, location, this is a great choice! Will definitely recommend them to friends and family!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
HGIDC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
MommyJoy,

It was a pleasure to have you and your family in our hotel, and thank you for the kind words. That circulator bus is an easy and inexpensive way to get around (it goes to Georgetown, too), and picks up just a short block from the hotel.

We're delighted to hear you had a good time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We only stayed for two nights but the hotel and rooms were 5 star. Very large rooms, clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and made room to store our bikes over night. The food in the hotel is amazing.

Fantastic location! We will be back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
LadyDiana1, we really do try hard and we're pleased you had such a lovely time! Chef Christopher Willis is great at cooking up some flavorful meals; he's our little hidden gem.

Safe travels, and we hope to see you again.
Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My review of the hotel would have been a positive one for my recent stay in washington, dc. That is until I went to breakfast Sunday morning and my wallet was stolen!!!! Although several people stated they saw a strange me the asst gm said "it couldn't be him because he stays here often." I felt violated and the staff of the hilton garden in did nothing to make me feel better. I was told no one had access to the video cameras except the gm and asst gm. I called to speak to the asst gm and was told "I was lied to about there being cameras!!" I really feel there is no concern about how I feel and the safety of its hotel patrons. Please be advised that wallets are stolen from this hotel/restaurant and the staff doesn't seem to care!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Safety is of paramount concern in the hotel. Upon being notified of the alleged theft, the hotel cooperated fully with the Metropolitan Police Department in their investigation, and continues to do so. No one lied to the individual. Rather, another manager informed her there might be a camera in the restaurant, but there is not. Cameras are at all entrances. Elevators are accessed by room key cards only.

We are distraught that someone may have stolen a wallet from an unattended purse in the restaurant. A circumstance like this is extremely rare in our hotel, and barring any eyewitnesses to the alleged theft, we immediately assisted in the calling of the police and have offered any and all help that we could.

We have always, and continue to, remain vigilant and proactive regarding guest safety.

Brian Reymann
Assistant General Manager
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I stayed here overnight for a business trip. Its a decent hotel with nice rooms. There was nothing spectacular but good for business or a couple of nights to tour DC. In terms of location, its a bit far from the train station (you need to take a cab) and if you are walking to the Capitol Building, be aware that there's a homeless shelter/food bank that you may walk near. I wasn't expecting that and definitely felt uncomfortable walking there alone dressed the way I was (in a business dress).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Thanks for your feedback, New York. We really do try and impress the business traveller with our comfort, convenience, and amenities. We're happy you found the hotel useful.

The easiest way to get to Union Station is often the circulator bus, which picks up a block from the hotel and is $1. The Metro station, which is directly across the street, is very convenient but does require a transfer of trains.

I am sorry you experienced some of the less attractive side of the nation's capital while walking to the Capitol. Even though were two blocks from the White House, we're not excluded from such curban issues. We generally advise guests to take the Metro or a taxi to the Capitol, as it is slightly more than a mile away and does go through a "rough" section of town about 10-12 blocks from the hotel.

We hope you'll come back and join us again, and we appreciate the comments.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 August 2010

The very noisy a/c kept it cool during a record setting heat wave. The metro stop is across the street- very convenient. There were no non-smoking rooms left (despite having reserved one), so I was stuck in a stinky room. This probably lowered my opinion of the hotel. They compensated me with a free breakfast buffet. If you want to be close to the national mall, this hotel was acceptable. At 150 per night, you might expect to get the non-smoking room you asked for, though.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
new jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2010

In terms of location to the National Mall and White House, this hotel was a comfortable walk. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. I wouldn't really say they have a concierge. The man at the desk seemed to wear many hats and wasn't eager to help or have much information. He didn't know, for example, that on some nights the museums on the mall were open until 7:30pm instead of the usual 5:30pm. I was fine with the hotel and would not not recommend it but next time I visit Washington I would look around a bit to see if I could find another hotel close by. I paid $299 for the room and the washington dc room tax per night was a whomping $43.36 so don't forget to add the tax when considering hotel prices. If I stayed at this hotel again I would consider finding another garage (as per another reviewer) instead of paying the valet parking of $35 per night (plus $4.20 garage tax). That said, the hotel was very quick in getting my car when I requested it. In summary, we enjoyed our visit to DC. The hotel neither added to nor took away from our experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Flossmoor, IL
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I booked this hotel based on feedback from other reviewers. I found the rooms to be great; very clean, and well appointed and the location was perfect. Having said that, we did not have such a positive experience with the front desk staff. Arriving early, I stopped at the hotel to see if there was a possibility of an early check in. Brit at the desk told me that they were booked so they could not have a room ready until 3. I completely understand this but my irritation came when I arrived back to the hotel at 3:30 and they STILL did not have a room ready. I saw absolutely no leadership in the front desk team. When I had arrived early, they agreed to put us on a "list" of individuals that were looking to get into the hotel early- I'm not convinced such a "list" even exsists. Not one person at the desk made the attempt to manage my expectations around checking in at the regular check in time. Addtionally, they agreed to have a roll away bed brought up to our room. After repeated calls regarding the bed, I was told that "they couldn't remember our room number and that they were sold out. My teenage son had to spend the night on the floor. I would really have to think twice about booking another room here at this hotel with so many others in the area. My son was here looking to attend school which would open up the option to spend more time in the area and I don't think this will be my pick. Coming from Chicago, I don't want to work this hard for a nice place to sleep. P.S. Don't let the hotel convince you that you need to valet park there. We found a SUPER place right around the corner which only charges $18 per day compared to the hotel wich was $35 and change and we had total access to our car at all times.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear MissSB-

Thank you for your comments regarding the difficulties you experienced at check-in. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding the unfortunate and less than graceful manner with which we performed.

Yes, our overnight parking is $35 per night, which is actually on the low side of average for overnight, downtown DC parking. The main difference between our garage and the one that I presume you parked in, is the 24-hour access. If you have absolutely no reason to need your car during your stay, than this could be an economical alternative. Be aware that virtually all of these garages do close nightly from 10pm until 8am, and some even close on Sunday. In the event of an emergency, or even just a spontaneous day trip, you may have no access to your vehicle, and no recourse.

Again, thank you for your feedbak and I hope to speak to you soon. (202) 783-7800

Regards,