Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast
Ranked #111 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Above and beyond...”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I booked this hotel and got a lot of feedback that it was "in the ghetto..." I went in cautious. For us the location of this hotel was great and served its purpose for the price. It was safe feeling; directly behind the police station, a 10 minute ride into all the sight seeing things you go to DC to do and a shuttle that will take you there if you do not have a car.... I was also told there was nowhere to eat if I wanted food latenight. Not true!

It was a smooth check in, very polite, cheerful front desk staff who made recommendations when we were looking for some place to eat. I will be reviewing that place next! (hidden gem! Capitol Grill) I cannot remember the lady's name behind the counter but she was awesome! Everyone was so helpful. When I booked the hotel I reserved a King Suite. I got a 2 queen bed (which was fine until we could not sleep because we were not used to such a smaller bed) we told the front desk this when we went down for breakfast and it was resolved literally while we ate...6AM new King size bed suite!

This hotel was very clean, I typically stay at more upscale hotels and really can't complain about -a thing.

We took a night time tour recommended by a friend (Big-Bus) that left Union Station at 7PM. We asked the same cheery front desk clerk if we could catch a ride to Union Station and told her the tour wouldn't be over till around 1030 (we knew the shuttle stopped at 8) she said "no problem, just call me!" We did around 11PM and while any other hotel would have told us to take a cab, she instead sent the security guard to pick us up free of charge. Of course we tipped him. He was a delight.

All in all the Holiday Inn Express DC was easy to find, had free breakfast / dinner, free shuttle to and from all the attractions, VERY clean (that is a lot coming from me) and very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to DC that does not mind a 10 minute ride into "town." There is a Taco Bell / KFC across the street as well as a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts / Baskin Robbins and a Checkers. If you are hungry, there is no problem! There was also food and even beer in the lobby! Free wi-fi, gym and pool.

Off hotel subject- I was warned about driving and parking in DC and we had NO issues what so ever. Traffic is nothing compared to Boston traffic and parking was always found and cheap (meter style) If you do go to DC I highly recommend taking the Big Bus tour at night (less traffic, less people, make sure you get "Ben talks-a lot" as your guide. He was a sweetie and very knowledgeable. Download the "Trip Advisor City Guide" (it lets you save everywhere you want to go and if you have an iPHONE maps it out for you with GPS)

We will be back!
Thank you Holiday Inn Washington DC Express Northwest for your excellent customer service and cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ALECIAINBOSTON
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Aleciainboston; From all of us at the Holiday Inn Express Washington, DC Northeast thank you for the great review! We strive to provide exceptional service in a clean, comfortable, friendly and safe environment and we could not be happier to see that we far exceeded your expectations of what you were previously told about our hotel and location. We are delighted to see that you all had a wonderful time as our guests.

The tips that you provided other readers for parking, tours and the area surroundings are fantastic and I am sure will come in handy for others planning a trip to our hotel.

Thank you again for the business. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Washington DC, Northeast again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Austin, KY
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Because of terrible customer service at the Polish Embassy/Consulate in NYC, we had no choice but to leave NYC and drive to Washington, DC. I did my TripAdvisor homework while my daughter drove down. This hotel had the best ratings for the price range that we were willing to pay for a one night stay. Their online page stated that there were no rooms available. We spotted this hotel on our drive into the city to find the Polish Consulate. I wasn't sure if it was the same one online or not. We literally found one other hotel that we would be interested in staying in all the time we were driving in the city - which was about an hour. You see, you can rarely make left turns in DC, there is no parking and good luck if you need a restroom. We eventually made it back to this hotel after we took a full tour of the city without making a left turn! I say all of this because our frustrations were off the roof at this point.

Then I walked into this hotel and was greeted by Josie. She was so busy with the phone, a sick guest, other people with reservations, etc. She was the only one at the front desk...hmmmm. But, once she could help me, she was so pleasant and had a huge, caring smile ~ and they did have two rooms for one night! What a relief! I couldn't imagine getting back on the streets to find another place at that moment. We later left for dinner and she was still at the front desk. She greeted us again like we were the only guests in the hotel.

We had breakfast the next morning in the hotel. The food was a notch above most complimentary breakfasts that I have had in other hotels. There were even sausage, bacon and eggs ~ and don't miss out on the cinnamon rolls! Yum. The breakfast was so popular that there really wasn't much room to sit down. We did end up on the sofa.

Then it was time to check-out. Walter helped us and he went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was pleasant. He even thanked us for being a rewards member.

This hotel was clean, parking lot was nice and we felt safe. I would highly recommend this hotel.

There need to be more Josies and Walters in the world!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Kay P
Dear Guests; Thank you very much for the 5 star review! We appreciate you selecting the Holiday Inn Express Washington DC Northeast as your place to stay. We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service and we are so pleased to see that Josie and Walter received such high praise from you. We will certainly pass along the compliments to their manager. We are pleased to see that you and your daughter had a lovely time as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Washington DC.
Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I had booked the Hotel for a few days as a hotel close to visiting the Smithsonian. My husband was in town for work and I was on vacation with my teenage son. I liked that the hotel had free shuttle service to Union Station. (make sure you sign up for a departure time the night before, as they get crowded). I was a little nervous about taking the Metro (underground subway) as I am not used to these. Everyone at the station was helpful as you do have to change trains once. The train ride is quite short only about 10 minutes. I would suggest buying the Smart card. Trying to manage the fares was difficult if you didn't have exact change. With the Smart card you save money and it also is good for the Buses. Which we remembered after walking 8 blocks! The hotel was clean, comfortable beds. The service is by far outstanding. The front desk ladies were very helpful and always had a smile. We ended up staying an extra day and even thou they were quite full we got to stay in our same room and they extended the online price I originally had found. Parking is $15 a day but we were lucky enough to spin the prize wheel and get it for free! I would stay here again as no one can get a better hotel for the price this close to downtown DC!

Just a quick "Thank-you" to the hotel Manager. The shuttle in the morning was full and instead of making us wait for the next one, He had his Sales Manager drive us to the station right away. Now that is Excellent customer service. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Had a room overlooking the back parking lot. It was very quiet.
7 Thank classygrl
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guests: On behalf of the entire team at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC, thank you for the wonderful 5 star review! We are delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed your time as our guest and found the accommodations, and services exceeded your expectations. We are glad we were able to take you over to Metro and you found it an easy and cost effective way to get around town. We are pleased to know we will be your first choice of hotels when returning to the Washington DC area. We look forward to seeing you again.
San Diego
Reviewed 1 August 2013

It wasn't easy looking for a hotel within my budget. Comparing the hotel prices in the area with this hotel's rates, I wasn't expecting too much from this Holiday Inn Express. But the moment I arrived to check Inn, the gentleman was so nice and friendly, the lobby was decent, looked nice - I was very pleased. Their rooms were spacious and clean, except that I found a hospital visitor badge stuck between the chair and the ottoman. At first we thought of taking the bus and metro to see the attractions, but with a reliable gps, it only took 10 to 15 minutes (with city traffic) to reach downtown DC. Breakfast on a monday morning was good, a lot of choices, and the dining area had enough seating for everyone.

2 Thank SanDiegoBrownshoes
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Guest; Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very pleased that you selected our hotel as your place to stay while touring Washington DC and it is great to see that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for your business it was our pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Washington DC.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This hotel was clean, quiet, modern and comfortable for our 3-night stay. Our room was very clean and modern, and one of the three computers in the business room was always available. And even though our room was next to a vending room, it was very quiet in the room. The breakfast was nice and the service at breakfast was quick. The breakfast attendants were also very friendly and helpful. We also used the free shuttle. On the first day that we rode the shuttle, the driver was nice and friendly, and we tipped that driver. When we used the shuttle the next day, I don't think the driver said anything during the entire trip. I guess the driver doesn't need to say anything, but it was uncomfortable. It was a nice van shuttle, but hot inside and I didn't feel comfortable having to ask (or yell to be heard) from the back of the van to have the air turned up. I don't think anyone in the van gave the driver a tip.

2 Thank 25nothna
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Guest; Thank you for taking the time to share your review and provide feedback for us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the wonderful compliments for our hotel, staff and services. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention about the shuttle service and we do apologize if one was not as professional as the other. We will mention this to the manager so we can improve upon this service. Thank you again for the business while in Washington DC. Please do come back and see us again the next time you are in the area.
k'ville
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First I would like to say that I did not expect the service or accommodations to be this great. My family and I were on our way to MD for a family reunion and decided to leave 2 days early and spend the 4th of July in DC. My husband is a rewards member with IHG. He had enough points to spend 2 nights there and only spend 70 dollars. We got there at 9:45am and was able to check in, eat breakfast and catch a shuttle all before 12 noon. The check-in was smooth, the room was great and the breakfast was filling. I did not have high expectations because it is a Holiday Inn Express and sometimes you can come across one that has been refurbished. But not this one. The service was great at breakfast and to our surprise, they also cater dinner. Wow, who would have thought that you can spend 70 dollars and get breakfast, dinner and great service. We are already planning to come back in October to visit DC and make this our place of resident for 4 days this time. To management and staff, keep up the good work no matter what complaints you get because you can't please everyone. We left this hotel and went to a Double Tree in MD and it was no where near what I expected of a high end hotel. So Holiday Inn Express, you rock....Double Tree can't touch your hotel on their best day. Oh, the only downfall is paying 15 dollars a day for parking, but that is not too bad considering that other places charge more.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to all the attractions, and not spend a fortune, this is the place to be. T...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Guest; Thank you very much for the fantastic review! We'd also like to extend our appreciation to your husband for being a valuable IHG Guest Rewards Member.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and will proudly share your review and comments with our team so they can give themselves a round of applause for a job well done. It was our pleasure having you has our guests. Thank you again for the business, we look forward to seeing you all in October.
Orlando
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Our trip with two young grandchildren was so memorable because of the personal attention extended by the General Manager. In the morning, at the complimentary breakfast, he stopped by and visited with the children. He made the two of them feel really important. He also invited them to an outdoor BBQ that he hosted for all of the guests.
The hotel is right across the street form a bus stop, which brings you right to the Metro Orange Line - so if you miss the complimentary shuttle to Union Station, this is an easy way to get o all of the sites.
The entire staff reflected the friendliness and professionalism of the General Manager.
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Orlando00
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Guest; Thank you very much for your rave review. It means a lot to us to receive a 5 star review. We really appreciate your kind remarks for Carl, our General Manager. He has a way of making people feel at ease and we are pleased to see his personality and professionalism as well as our entire staff, was well received by you and your family. Thank you for recognizing him personally in your review.

Thank you as well for the tip about the bus line, that is a big help for our other guests and we will make note of that at the desk as an alternate to taking our shuttle.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again the next time you return to Washington DC.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washingto...
#115 of 141 in Washington DC
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#80 of 141 in Washington DC
Quality Inn & Suites New York Av...
#131 of 141 in Washington DC
Dupont Circle
Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White HouseWebsiteDirections

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast? Share your experiences!