“Never staying again.”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #9 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Never staying again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

For my visets to DC i am never going to stay in this place again. I love the location, though it has flaws. There is no pool, that is an issue for my family and i because my kids have no place to chill and hangout after a long day of walking around in the hot weather. Yes there is an outside area with nice umbrellas and benches/chairs but there are ladies bringing carts of garbage by and since it is a restraunt starting at 3:30 PM you cannot hangout there unless you buy food. The building looks old and feels old. The elevators take a long time and in the rooms the TV only has a small selection of chanles, none of which children are interested in. My kids are bored out of their minds and the hotel is no help. I dont like this place one bit. I know there is better in DC.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Lauralovely
OpsMgrWas, Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for your review on the Avenue Suites. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay at our hotel. Our property does not have a pool, however we are more than happy to provide information on local pools for our guests upon request; pools in the area include one at a sister hotel of the Avenue Suites, as well as a public pool located three blocks north of the hotel. As for the television, my apologies that the channel selection did not meet you and your family’s needs. As you may or may not know, DirecTV and Viacom has contractual issues that effected not just our hotel but 20 millions in the United States. I hope that you were able to speak to the front desk and get more ideas on what to do in the area, including bus tours and local museums (a good air conditioned activity for those hot days!). Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time at the Avenue Suites, we hope you give us a second chance someday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

What a great hotel. From the minute we were greeted by the staff at reception to the time we checked out five days later, we had a great experience. Really, not one complaint.

The property apparently recently underwent a $700 million renovation. And it shows. Clean, modern design, fresh entry, reception and bar and the room we had was modern, clean and inviting. Best of all, it was big. My wife and I had our own room and our daughters slept in the living room on the fold out couch. The large bathroom and full kitchen were very useful and two flat screen TVs were welcome on those afternoons when it was just too hot to tour around. Air conditioning was not noisy as in some hotels and easy to use. The shower head provided decent pressure.The only downside of the room was there was no safe. (You can use a very small safe deposit box in the hotel office for now. Individual safes are suppose to be installed later this year).

It's true that breakfast is a little skimpy but we found it better than expected, even though breakfast service closes at 9 AM -- not great when trying to rouse kids out of bed. A Trader Joe's across the street was convenient though to purchase food to make breakfast and sandwiches etc for lunch. And the hotel's proximity to Georgetown and the Foggy Bottom metro made getting around town very easy. The staff was welcoming and very pleasant and helpful.

All in all, we had a perfect stay here and will definitely consider coming back. Hats off to the Avenue Suites management team.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeff R
OpsMgrWas, Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Greetings! Thank you so much for your kind words about Avenue Suites. Yes, the hotel just underwent renovations, so we are glad to hear that our guests are noticing the changes! The large suites are perfect for families staying at the hotel, as well as those days where you just want to lounge around and not do anything. My apologies for the room not having a safe, as you stated we will be getting those placed in the suites later this year. Thanks for mentioning the fact that guests are able to place valuables in a safe at the front desk. Also, I’m sorry that the breakfast hours weren’t as convenient for you and your family. I’m glad the local Trader Joe’s was able to help out with your food needs! The hotel’s location is one of the main draws for our guests. Its proximity to the shops and restaurants of Georgetown, the Metro, and the sights of DC are very convenient for everybody! Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again at the Avenue Suites!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed for two nights a couple months ago during the renovation. I knew beforehand, and was expecting some discomfort as a result. I experienced none. What I did experience was staff who responded promptly and caringly to my questions or minor issues. Check in/out was quick, friendly and professional, housekeeping was clean, even the housekeepers were quiet on the floors while they worked. Will be back on my next visit to DC.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CoffeeBerry
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Avenue Suites! We realize that our renovations may have been an inconvenience to guests with regards to noise, but it is great that you didn’t experience any of this at all. We do our best to ensure our guests are comfortable during their stay, so thank you for the nice comments to our staff. Now that the renovations are complete, we look forward to your next visit! Thanks again for choosing the Avenue Suites.
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed for 4 nights - Recently renovated suites with full kitchen. Modern decor and soooooo....comfortable.
Location is just perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jodysloft
Thank you for your nice comments about the Avenue Suites! Our guests are really enjoying the newly renovated suites. The kitchens have always been a big benefit to the guests, especially for those doing a long-term stay at the hotel (even better with Trader Joe’s being right across the street!). The location is ideal when it comes to all the sights, restaurants, and shops that are nearby! We are glad that you enjoyed the modern décor of the hotel, as well as the comfortable accommodations. Please come back again sometime, we look forward to your future visit!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The minute I walked in, I was greeted by friendly staff at the front desk. The sitting area has gorgeous architectural lounges built uniquely to accomodate anyone who wants to just sit around lounge and relax! Lounge music sets off the ambience. The rooms are gigantic! It has a seperate sitting area, bar top counters with an individual sink, fridge and microwave. The bed, pillows and sheets is to die for!!! Best sleep ever!! I didn't want to get out of the bed! The bathrooms have a standup shower with clear glass sliding doors and not to mention, the room is very clean, sleek, modern and well kept. This is the best hotel in dc and my family lives here. Every so often we love to try new hotels in our city and by far... This feels like home!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Anngelll
Hello there! Thank you for your kind words about the Avenue Suites. The lounges in the front lobby are brand new from our recent renovations, our guests really seem to be enjoying them. I hope you had the opportunity to check out The A Bar during your stay for a drink or appetizer! The suites were renovated as well, providing new furniture and linens. I’m glad that you were able to enjoy the bed! Our guests find them to be very comfortable. Thanks so much for coming to the Avenue Suites, I hope you and your family come back to us soon!
Rome, Lazio, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Large suites, big kitchen, simple breakfast. Make sure you know the price of the room for each night. I booked to arrive Sunday night and they gave me a price of about $140 - but the Monday and Tuesday were about $250.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Jeremy T
, Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Avenue Suites! I am sorry to hear that there was some confusion regarding your room rates. Often when a reservation is made, the average rate is provided as an overall rate, when in actuality the rates are different each night. Hopefully this was cleared up for you during your interactions with the front desk staff. I’m glad that you enjoyed the suite, we hope to see you again sometime at the Avenue Suites!
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

I was able to get a decent price on this hotel. We stayed four nights. I tried booking directly with the hotel, but they said they were fully booked. Expedia said otherwise, so I booked through them.
As others have said, this is a wonderful location. There is a Trader Joe's across the street. We stocked up on some food as we had a full kitchen in our suite. There is another market just down Pennsylvania, too. There are familiar places and some unique places to eat within blocks of the hotel.
The beds were comfortable, room temperature was easy to regulate and the air conditioning unit wasn't too loud. Our room had a separate sink outside the bathroom which helped with four of us sharing the room.
The free continental breakfast is light on food. Two types of cereal, plain bagels, instant oatmeal and either Granny Smith apples or bananas. They have OJ and cranberry juice cocktail in a can along with milk. If you get there earlier than I ever made it to breakfast, I heard you can get yogurt. We bought frozen waffles and breakfast burritos at Trader Joe's and ate in our room.
The staff was great. Every time we walked through the lobby, they would greet us. Housekeeping shorted us on towels one day, but delivered extras within minutes of us requesting them.
In the back of the hotel, they've created a cozy sitting area, which we took advantage of a couple of times. Other than the people smoking out there, it was very pleasant. I'm glad they made the effort to create a place to enjoy the wonderful weather we experienced.
The metro stop is an easy walk away. Everything is convenient. I'd definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: The suites have a full kitchen stocked with service for four.