“Great vacation in Washington DC”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Great vacation in Washington DC”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My friend and I had a lovely stay at the Avenue Suites at Georgetown. It was convenient to the Metro. The room had a great view, quite spacious, well equipped kitchen, courteous and knowledgeable staff. We got good advice, especially from Mitchell Turow, who greeted us on our arrival. He went over what was available in the area (including the Trader Joe's right across the street--very convenient) and where to go/how to get there in Washington. They also allowed us to check in early and check out late to fit with out travel plans. The fitness center was small but met my needs.

One comment--we went over Memorial Day and the crowds were NOT bad--we did not expect that. We went over Memorial Day because the rates were so much lower.

Room Tip: We had asked for a room close to the fitness center but Mitchell recommended one higher up for the v...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally I
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Sally l,

It was so nice meeting you and working with you this past week here at the Avenue Suites. We always love providing early check-in's when available to ease the stress of arriving here in Washington DC. Please continue to e-mail me directly for all future visits so I can ensure everything is flawless.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

e-mail: mturow@modushotelsdc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel great location. Modern, trendy nice bar. Immaculate rooms large with kitchen which was great to have. Very clean. Great service. Concierge had great tips for restaurants. Good coffee however still need to improve on cappuccino less froth!!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Greetings Nahid C,

Thank you so much for your review of the Avenue Suites here in historic Washington DC. We pride ourselves on our great service and are so thankful when our guests take the time to tell other TripAdvisor readers about it. I have passed your cappuccino comments onto our breakfast staff so they know to tweak the way they make them going forward.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon,
Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We just spent two nights at Avenue Suites, DC. By way of background, I have had to travel to DC about 40 times and have stayed at many, many, hotels in DC. Avenue Suites is modern, cool, lively, well kept. The staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are very spacious, with a separate kitchen and a living room the size of the sleeping area. TRADER JOE's is 200 feet from the hotel so you can prepare your own meals. Decoration is sober, of excellent taste and with nice photos of actors of yesteryear. Not too expensive. Nice outdoor patio. Great complimentary mojitos. Great location a few hundred yards from the heart of Georgetown. The only criticism is that by being on Pennsylvania it can be noisy if you open the window;unfortunately a couple of ambulances went by sirens blasting while we were there. In a few words, except for the long gone Watergate Hotel, I don't know a better hotel in Washington.

Room Tip: Try to get a room NOT facing Pennsylvania
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jose A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review about your recent visit at the Avenue Suites here on TripAdvisor. We are constantly working hard on working towards a goal of service perfection and your comments about our staff remind us that we are headed in the right direction. I agree that sometimes Pennsylvania Avenue can be a tad noisy at times so I urge all guests who prefer quieter rooms to reach out to me directly prior to arrival so I can choose a room on the back side for them.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed here 5 nights in early May and were most impressed from start to finish. The staff is exceptional and always had a smile on their faces and asked how they could be of help. The downstairs lobby bar and outside patio are fun and busy. We loved our large suite because my husband could watch one channel in the Living Room while waiting for me to get ready to go out, while I watched another channel while dressing. We each had a sink and a separate bed. Our room faced out over Pennsylvania Avenue which gave us a nice view and a peek at the weather conditions for the day. We did not have any problem with noise, but did have a problem with the sun coming in the windows early in the morning and waking us after a late night. Don't expect the kitchen to be modern because it is not, but it is big and is great for keeping breakfast items or appetizers and wine. There is also a Subway across the street where you can pick up a breakfast sandwich, and also Trader Joe's where you can pick up wine and food. We walked to the subway station from the hotel when we weren't in a hurry, or caught a taxi very easily outside the lobby when we needed one. Also it was very easy to walk to the Harbor restaurants in Georgetown from the Avenue Suites. We would definitely stay here again on our next trip to DC!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor and had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
loriokc,

Impressed from start to finish!? Sounds perfect to me! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed response about your time with us here at the Avenue Suites. You are right that our staff loves to smile and are rarely seen without one. We are currently in the process of brainstorming about ways to modernize our kitchens and can happily report that we are headed in the right direction. Hopefully, the next time you are with us you will see some great improvements.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon,
st. louis
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We booked our stay for 4 nights after reading the reviews on trip advisor and comparing prices. We got an excellent deal through the hotel website and could not find a cheaper suite hotel in the DC area. The staff was very friendly and helpful and were willing to help us with any question or request that we had. The location was excellent and very safe. We took the Metro from National airport and walked three blocks to the hotel (with four kids). We walked to the White House which was an easy mile walk, and took about 30 minutes. From there, we went onto the Washington Monument and saw all the sights around it. We often took a cab home from the National Mall because our children were tired from a long day of walking. Cabs were between 7-10 dollars from most areas including a trip we took to Arlington Cemetery (cheaper than the 6 of us to take the metro). Georgetown is a 3-4 block walk which was convenient for dinner. We bought breakfast food at Trader Joes and ate in the hotel every morning. We had a one bedroom with 2 queen beds which was separated from the living room and kitchen by a solid wall and door. Our teenage boys slept in the living room area, one on the pull out couch, the other on a rollaway. Two structural things to note: 1. To use the bathroom, you have to enter the bedroom, wasn't a problem for us but could be slightly inconvenient if you have family members sleeping on the pull out couch who need to use the restroom during the night. 2, No exhaust fan in the bathrooms, the steam and heat from showers made the bedroom a little warm and humid at times. We rented a car on the last two nights of our stay to take a day trip to Gettysburg. We were able to find street parking one block from the hotel and since it was on a Sunday and a holiday (Memorial Day), it was free (this was a tip from a staff member so that we didn't have to pay the hotel parking fee). I am a light sleeper and there was traffic noise and occasional sirens from the nearby hospital so I was glad I had my earplugs. Overall, the hotel exceeded our expectations for value, location and service and we would recommend it any family traveling to DC.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zackdrew
Zackdrew,

On behalf of all of us here at the Avenue Suites, I would like to thank you for your incredibly kind and detailed review about your recent visit at our hotel. There is nothing better than when guests read about us on TripAdvisor and then decide to come and join us. I do agree that some rooms do have some street noise due to our Pennsylvania Avenue location which is why I urge our guests to reach out to me directly prior to arrival so I can ensure they have the perfect room based on their preferences.

Thanks again for your great response and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Sterling, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We booked two rooms for a one night stay on a Saturday for my soon-to-be sister-in-law's bachelorette party. From the moment we pulled up to check in until the moment we checked out, we received excellent service.

The front desk staff was amazing, accommodating every request. My friends were able to check in early to decorate the room for the bride, the front desk staff helped me find parking right across the street, they were incredible friendly and along with the bar staff made a special drink for a friend who could not drink. We even received assistance a 1am when we wanted to order pizza and could not find a location that was open. Marcus came up to our room to assist us and called and ordered pizza for us!

The hotel was beautiful too. The rooms were very spacious and well-equipped; we especially loved the outdoor bar area! It was so relaxing.

I travel for work several times a year and rarely receive such outstanding service. I am beyond impressed with the staff, the hotel quality and the location. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stacej09
Stacej09,

It was great to have you and your friends/family with us during your exciting bachelorette party! I am so glad that everyone enjoyed our nightly mojito reception in our lobby and that our staff made such a lasting impression on you all. I have passed your kinds words onto our entire team so they know just how appreciative you are of their hard work. We look forward to seeing you all again soon here at the Avenue Suites.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was greeted by Avenue Suites' friendly staff members to kick off my memorial day weekend. Check in took less than 3 minutes, which was awesome as I was tired from the 5 hour long bus ride from NYC to DC. Our hotel suite was magnificent and clean: our one bedroom had 2 closets with a safe, phone and ipod dock which linked to our spacious vanity mirror and separate bathroom. The living room was equipped with a large, comfy sofa, dining table, work table and large tv. The kitchen was fully equipped- it felt like home away from home. The location is just amazing especially if you are there to sight see. Georgetown was just a 10 minute walk with its many shops, bars (many jazz bars!) and eateries such as Le Pain Quotidien which I frequented for breakfast every morning. Just across the street from the hotel is a Trader Joes, Papa Johns and a Subways which is very efficient for those wanting a quick meal. Just down the street from the hotel is a bar with food and a few restaurants. The location is extremely important especially for those sight seeing as it is nearby everything. For example:
a) 15 minute taxi ride to Union Station
b) 10 minute taxi ride to Dupont Circle and China Town
c) 25 minute walk to the White House
d) about an hour walk to the Lincoln Memorial for those who like to walk
e) 15 minute taxi ride to the National Zoo
Thank you to the staff who were so friendly and made our weekend so pleasant. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
haejinmin,

Well...who doesn't love being called the best ever!?!? This survey has caused a massive party here at the Avenue Suites and we so elated we had such a positive impact on you during your recent visit. From all of us here at the Avenue Suites, thank you so much for writing such a detailed review for all of our friends on TripAdvisor to read and enjoy. Please shoot me an e-mail when you have some time so I can thank you a little more properly.

I look forward to speaking with you again soon.

Thanks again,