“Avenue Suites - A great place to stay as well as a good value”

Ranked #11 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Avenue suites is a terrific place to stay in Washington DC. Located in Pennsylvania Avenue in the Foggy Bottom area, it just across a small walk-able bridge to Georgetown. All the rooms in the hotel are nicely appointed suites with a bedroom, a living room, a dining area and a FULL kitchen with a full size refrigerator, stove, sink, microwave, toaster, and dishwasher. as well as dishes and flatware. There is even a Keurig coffeemaker and they give you new k-cups each day to replace the ones you use! Its a relatively small and quiet hotel and there is no pool. But, for a business person, especially on an extended stay, or a family needing more room and a kitchen, its a great choice. The desk staff and the valet service were very friendly and helpful.

They serve a modest breakfast with a number of options for a fee, and likewise there is also a modest room service menu.

We've been there twice and plan on returning soon. The rooms are clean, comfortable and attractively furnished in a modern somewhat European style There is a large flat screen TV in the bedroom and an even bigger one in the living room. There is a good desk and chair in the living room for those who are there to work. The only down side was during our stay the wireless internet connection was a little slower than optimal but still quite usable. There is valet parking at a daily rate. The room rate is very reasonable considering what you are getting and the location. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Mark S
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Mark S,

Thank you for your recent visit and for your review. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed our location, amenities, restaurant and most importantly our service. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites, we look forward to welcoming you back from Edison very soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My daughter and 4 year old grandson are under the care of a medical specialist in Washington DC. After our doctor's appointment we realized we were going to get "snowed in" by the Polar Vortex of February 12, 2014! By morning all flights, shuttle services, shopping, and the government shut down. I realized our best chance to get out was to get to the Baltimore Airport. There was a lull in the storm and we thought it would be safe. The staff at Avenue Suites Georgetown personally called a reliable driver, explained our situation and the driver came to get us. Then the staff member called a Baltimore hotel at the airport for us and booked one of the last rooms for us. In the end we flew stand-by and got everyone safely home thanks to the staff at Avenue Suites Georgetown. They really cared.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marcia K

Dear Marcia K,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I am delighted that my team was able to get you home safely after the snow storm. I will be personally sharing your kind comments with my team. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites, we hope that your daughter and grandson get well soon and all of you can come back and visit DC under different circumstances.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The suite was clean, comfortable, and huge - we had a girls' weekend and there was plenty of space for all four of us. The hotel staff was fantastic - they made good recommendations, were very accommodating, and even had glasses of warm apple cider in the lobby for guests! We would absolutely return, and have recommended this location to our friends. A great value for the experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear lindz210j,

Thank you for spending your Girl’s weekend at Avenue Suites. I am delighted to learn that your stay was so memorable and that the service provided by my team had so much to do with your satisfaction. Thank you for recommending us to all your friends and family.
On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I were staying just 1 night in Georgetown to visit with our grandson who attends
Georgetown University . He had recommended Avenue Suites b/c his parents had stayed there and enjoyed the experience . The hotel gave us an AARP rate and we stayed in a lovely 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen for $140 !!! ( give or take ... can't remember exact amount but in comparison to The Four Seasons which is 1 block away and was asking in the $500 a nt area .....
We were warmly welcomed by Herb and his lovely female assistant at the desk and shown to our accommodations immediately. The porter overheard me mention that I had forgotten tooth paste
and had it sent up to the room ! Highly recommend this little gem of a hotel in the heart of Georgetown !!

Room Tip: An inside room away from the main street is quieter .
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patsy G

Dear Patsy G,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am thrilled that you and your husband enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for recommending us to all your friends and family. I will be sharing your comments with my team and will make sure that Herb is recognized for making your arrival experience so memorable.

On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back from Florida!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed at the Avenue Suites for four nights last week and had a very good experience. I don't know when I have liked a front desk staff better. Every single one was friendly and warm as well as competent. We were there during a big blizzard, and the hotel handled the challenges (snow removal, etc.) with efficiency and good grace. The location is excellent. You can easily walk to M Street in Georgetown, with all its shops and restaurants. The room was spacious and comfortable--great kitchen, pleasant sitting room, nice bathroom, comfortable bed, dependable free wifi. My only beef would be the color scheme. While I recognize the care that was taken in choosing the decor, everything was a dark beige/nearly taupe color. I find beige very dreary, but someone else might find it warm. Apart from that, we loved the hotel and will return soon.

Room Tip: We liked the view over Pennsylvania Avenue, but if you want quiet you'll prefer the back. It loo...

Dear JMA07,

Thank you for your recent four night stay and for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to learn how much you liked our front desk staff. I also appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your accommodations, room amenities, and convenient location.
On behalf of my team, we look forward to your return very soon,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights for the long weekend. Overall, we really enjoyed the stay. The suites were big and comfortable, with comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, a full kitchen and dining table. We were on the 9th floor, too, so the view of Pennsylvania Avenue was very nice. The service was very friendly and accommodating as well. The location was stellar -- a five minute walk to Georgetown, literally across the street from a Trader Joes, and convenient to Foggy Bottom and central to other parts of DC. A few cons: there is no real thermostat. The rooms are set to either "heat" or "AC," and because it is winter, only the heat was on. So we weren't able to adjust the temperature in the room, other than to blast the heat. I called and asked them about it, and was told that we could open the window if we were too hot. So we spent the nights either with the window open (and freezing), or with the window closed and boiling. That brings me to my second con -- the noise. We opened the window, but even without that, there was a LOT of noise from Pennsylvania avenue. I ended up having to sleep using my White Noise app on the iphone. Overall: a great hotel and a real bang for your buck. But if you are temperature or noise sensitive, you might have some issues.

Room Tip: Our room facing Pennsylvania avenue was very noisy. But the high floor (9) gave us a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank happycat15

Dear Pamela S,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that the accommodations, amenities, service and location all met your expectations. I do apologize about the issues with the temperature controls in your guest room and hope that this issue has not marred your overall impression of our hotel. Kindly contact me directly should you wish to further discuss the details of your stay.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Avenue Suites was clean and very spacious. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchen was perfect for breakfast and snack. The attendants in the front were more than helpful I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear travel_swim_girl77,

Thank you for your recent visit from Philadelphia. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the size of your suite, cleanliness, fully equipped kitchen and friendly service. On behalf of my team, we look forward to your return trip!

Kind regards,