“My stay in HI Washington”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Heist-op-den-Berg, Belgium
“My stay in HI Washington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

HI Washington is perfectly located, just a 10 minute walk from the White House.
The staff is very friendly and helpfull.
The bathroom and the bedroom are very clean.
Even when you're travelling alone, it's very easy to meet people!

2 Thank ChristelVdV71
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
ChristelVdV71: Thanks for the 5-star rating and to-the-point review! I think you covered many of the best points, particularly how easy it is to meet kind and interesting people at HI-DC. Also, thanks for the compliments about our team and cleanliness. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed in a four bedroom dorm, which was a bit cramped. The beds were good enough for a hostel, although a little squeeky. However, I had no problems with noise or sleep distrubances from guests in other rooms. There a lockers inside the room for each guest.The bathroom was large and mostly clean, although sometimes it got messy from people not cleaning up after themselves. But the cleaners were always on top of their work. Usually around 7:30am and early evenings the bathroom was mostly empty. So it was perfect if you wanted a shower. The complimentary breakfast was fulfilling and the guy in charge was super friendly. If the kitchen was extremely busy, you had to clean your own plate and cup. But sometimes the cleaners were happy to do it for you. The staff were extremely helpful, and never tired of giving advice and meeting requests. For the price and location it was ideal. It was within walking distance to a lot of attractions and restaurants. Highly recommended for those on a budget, looking for the ideal location and not wishing for anything fancy.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Candace P
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Candace P: Thank you for the note! Our Housekeeping Team will be especially pleased with you glowing description of their tireless efforts. And John, our world famous Breakfast Attendant, is always happy to hear that people enjoy getting to know him. Gosh! We need to do a better job with the squeaky beds. I've seen a few comments about that, but we're not fixing the issue quickly enough. All of your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Good hostel to stay at in DC if you're on a budget. The location is perfect and within walking distance to the National Mall. The room was clean and had a operable window which is a plus at any hostel. The bathrooms were clean although you do get the odd clumps of hair left by others in the shower. Complimentary breakfast was good and the guy who runs it is very welcoming. There was also free wifi and I managed to use this all the way on the 5th floor. The hostel is alcohol-free so many nights were quiet. A couple of minor issues, 1) the lift is incredibly slow and 2) the AC is extremely loud especially in the evening, which made it difficult trying to get sleep. Overall, not a bad stay.

2 Thank AnaRCV
AnaRCV: Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! It looks like we did pretty well on most things, but there are a couple of improvements we need to make. I can assure you that we have taken care of the hair in the drains. Not sure what happened there, but it's now clean as a whistle. Suzie, the elevator, is as slow as you described. If you read further down in the responses, you'll see some information on this, but to sum up, it will be awhile before we can get that replaced. We do need to work on that noisy A/C. Sorry about that. Thanks for the insights! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Comox, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here for four nights in August. Having stayed at hostels dozens of times, all around the world, I can say that this hostel was near the top of my experiences. You'll read replies from the management to other reviews, explaining how HI DC is not a party hostel. You won't find all night keggers, or stumbling drunks, or crazy music played loud all night while people do body shots...and honestly, I prefer that. There are a ton of bars in the neighbourhood, pub crawl offered on the weekend, and plenty of other friendly travelers that you can head out with to make a party happen. But when you want peace, and sleep, and sanity...its there!

I stayed on the 7th floor, which was sometimes a bit of a hike. The elevator didn't seem as bad as others have written, and I think that they've done some work on it. Either way, I usually caught the elevator going up, and then took the stairs down. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm, which was more spacious than similar dorms that I've been in previously. I heard from another hostel-dweller that the the 8 bed dorms were about the same size, but with the extra bed they seemed much more cramped. So perhaps the 6 bed is the way to go (there are also 4 bed, and private rooms). I was impressed to find a charging station beside each bunk, with two plus and two usb ports, plus a light. This made reading, etc, easier when it got later and some people started to go to bed. It also made a convenient little shelf near your head for glasses/key card/etc.

I didn't enjoy the metal bunk beds, which are by nature a little bit squeaky. I'd prefer nice solid wood beds, so that little movements from your bunk mate wouldn't wake you. One night we had a prolific snorer in our room, who didn't respond very nicely to friendly suggestions to help reduce the snoring....a quick trip to the front desk produced a handful of free earplugs, which really made a difference.

I found the lockers to be fine. I was traveling with a carry-on size roller bag, which fit inside without problems. It also slid easily under then bed, and there was room beside the bunks too. Bring two locks, and keep your valuables in your locker, and then lock your bag and put it under a bunk. There was no problem with the air conditioning - it came on and off throughout the night/day, and was on the quiet side. I was never uncomfortable with the temperature.

The bathrooms were very clean, especially considering that they are communal, hostel bathrooms. They were almost always empty when I went in, and I never waited for a shower (I showered between 7:30 and 9 am, and some evenings too). I like the curtains (DC Metro!) and the additional privacy curtains for when you are toweling off.

Breakfast was a nice touch. John is getting famous for his "tell me how to say hello in a language other than English" requests! He seemed to know almost everyone, and easily spotted new people. He's a real treasure at the hostel. The breakfast selection consisted of: orange juice, tea, coffee, yogurt, bread, bagels, muffins, 3-4 types of cereal and granola, butter, jam, cream cheese, honey. As a previous reviewer pointed out, you rely on the person who used the utensils before you to have washed everything properly. I did not always find everything to be as clean as I would have liked, and sometimes observed people just rinsing dishes. I'd recommend that the hostel invest in a dishwasher (the kind with a conveyor, like bars use for glasses), or find another way to make sure that dishes are properly sanitized. I guess individuals could also re-wash their dishes before eating breakfast.

The folks at the front desk were good. One of the women was a bit on the cold side (no smile, very dismisses, just shrugged at requests and said no), but Michael was amazing. He seems to work 20 hours a day (he was *always* there), and he always had a smile and a friendly hello. He never tired of giving recommendations or suggestions, and is a great source of information.

Others have already commented, but the location is excellent - a short 10-15 minute walk to the White House, nearby metro, and a friendly neighbourhood overall.

Room Tip: I'd go with a 6 or 4 bed dorm (based on what I heard of others staying in 8 bed dorms). Ask for...
2 Thank ecarter478
ecarter478: Thanks for the Perfect Score, the lovely photos, and most of all for visiting us so often!

We are in the process of installing those bed lamps / charging stations / shelves at every bed. They in place in all Private Rooms and 4-, 6-, and 8-bed dorms. The only rooms left are the 10-bed dorms, and we will have those done this Fall / Winter.

Thanks for the shout-out to John (he IS famous and a treasure!), and compliments on our cleanliness, staff assistance with ear plugs, lockers, breakfast, and location. Though, it does seem like we have a few things to address. We do rely on hostellers to wash their dishes, and have signs encouraging everyone to wash them before and after use -- just to be sure. I am sorry about one of the team being dismissive. That is certainly not how anyone should be treated. I will speak to the team to ensure we are all on the same page.

Thanks, so much, for your very complete review! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was the first time I had stayed in a hostel, and it was a good experience. The rooms are large and comfortable, sleeping 10 people on bunk beds. The bathrooms were nice and clean, (single sex bathrooms on each floor) with 2 toilets and 3 showers each. The breakfast was good with cereal and muffins however, you have to clear your plate and cup which means you rely on the cleaning of the person before you. There was free WIFI in the lobby area however, not in the rooms which would have been even better. The lift was incredibly slow meaning we regularly walked up 7 flights of stairs. Those working in the hotel seemed happy, friendly and courteous. The location was perfect in easy access to the monuments, museums and anything your likely to need in Washington. Recommended for anyone needing a relatively cheap place to stay whilst in Washington.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Becky W: Welcome to the wonderful world of hostelling! We're so glad that you chose us for your first experience and that it was a good one. You certainly packed a lot of info into your review. Thank you for all of the kind comments about our guestrooms, bathrooms, breakfast, staff, location, and most of all for recommending us.

It is very true that Suzie, our elevator, is quite slow. Unfortunately, as you may read in other responses that follow, this is not something that we can tackle right now, financially. All of us eagerly await the day that we get a new one.

Good news about the Wi-Fi -- we're getting a complete upgrade. We are increasing bandwidth buying new routers for all of the guestroom floors, and looking into contractors to do the wiring of those routers. We expect to have all of that done this Winter.

Well, I guess that's about it! We hope you return to experience our upgraded, free Wi-Fi! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Perfectly located near the Metro Station and within walking distance to the National Mall. Delightful breakfast of cereals, bagels and assorted muffins to kick start the day. Not forgetting the free WIFI at level 1 and 2. Except for the small lockers, the rest is fine!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
jwlim2013: Thanks for the quick note and review! Glad you liked the location and breakfast. It's true that the in-room lockers can't fit everything one might bring on an around-the-world trip, but they can easily fit one of those really large backpacks that global trekkers carry. Hope that helps. Cheers! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

with little experience I can only rate this lodging average. following the maxim: location, location, location, the hostel rests on the far corner of the map of the major monuments. if you are lobbyist on a budget, maybe would appreciate one-dollar five-stop bus ride from Union Station. the Tesla dealership lies across the intersection.
on the other hand the personnel seemed to enjoy their work; helping you and me.
at Wal-Mart you expect you expect a greeter. at HI-DC John greets you like a ringmaster directing your eye too all the performers, that's the rest of us. you too will find yourself drawn to performer. Martha says little but sees everything and keeps it spotless. except the dishes. that responsibility lies with you. or more accurately the person who used the utensils just before you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Johnson_from_Wisc: Nice handle! Love the rhyme!

Yes, our location is a real asset. Just a 15 minute walk, and you'll be at most of the best of what DC has to offer -- monuments, museums, galleries, bars and restaurants! John and Marta really do a wonderful job at breakfast. I will send them your regards!

I am sorry that other than those items, we were only average. Regardless, we will do our best to make long-lasting, powerful, and positive memories for all of our hostellers. I hope that next time you visit us, we will move up a few ticks on the Awesome Scale! Thanks for the review! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager