“Very Good Hostel and Location”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Very Good Hostel and Location”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hostel had a friendly staff, nice beds, and good showers. While there we used the kitchen, which was well equipped and the dining area was large. They had a good breakfast, pool table and TV room. The hostel is 7 blocks from the mall and a short walk from Chinatown and metro.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Miliarda
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Miliarda: All true! :-) Thank you for sharing your experience with us. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jundiai, SP
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hostel is very well located and clean. The bunk beds are confortable, the bathroom is clean and organized and there is a good TV room and lounge.
The kitchen is well equiped and breakfast is simple but you can have as much as you want.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Fyassko: Thanks for the note and kind comments. We aim to please! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I went there at october, but there still has many guests. Their room was clean, the people stayed there was nice. Stuff was nice too, one stuff gave me a free ticket for soccer game and taught me how to get there. I'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mimimasami
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
mimimasami: Thanks for the great note! I'm so glad the HI-DC team was able to do that nice thing for you! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This hostel is very well equipped with a great kitchen, decent breakfast, comfy beds and good showers. Plug sockets and I individual lights on each bed. The tours are pretty interesting and free, pub crawl to Dupont Circle was great, George town tour was also good. The only negative for this hostel is the slightly frosty reception staff who treated guests like an inconvenience. Sort these staff out and it will make the hostel top rate. The other staff were excellent especially the guy at breakfast every day who should give lessons to other staff. I loved his greeting to every single guest "I need a good morning in a language other than English" tip Buenos Dias.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dandrews101
Dandrews101: Thank you for your lovely review. All of us at HI-DC are happy that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. I agree: Our Volunteers are do an amazing job hosting events at our hostel and tours around the city. I am so sorry to hear that you were not greeted warmly by every member of the team. Usually, we receive positive reviews of our team members. I will be sure to speak to the team to ensure that everyone is on the same page, making every hosteller feel welcome and that they made the right choice for their lodging. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Reviewed 27 February 2014

First, the positives: The staff were very friendly and helpful to questions about finding places in DC. The location is great, a short walk from the metro and Chinatown - quick to get to any of the popular DC tourist spots. The bathrooms, when I used them, always seemed to be quite clean and well looked after. Organised activities available every day for those who want it.

Now, amenities and activities aside, the core business of any hostel should be providing a good nights sleep. This did NOT happen. The building SHAKES! Not enough to notice it during the day, but certainly when you lay in bed to sleep it becomes very apparent. Not a gentle rocking motion like being on a train, but more like you are trying to sleep on top of a spinning washing machine. I think it was the central heating on the roof. I was on the top floor so I don't know how much it affects the other floors, but it certainly affected me.

Also, regarding that central heating unit - not only does it shake the building like a giant washing machine - but it makes the noise of a giant washing machine that never stops running. It took a lot of effort to tune out that noise!

Finally, the bed was broken! There was a piece of wood between the mattress and bed frame, I'm assuming because of damaged springs (I didn't crawl under to check) but other than creating a lump in the middle of the bed (which it did), it also caused a giant metallic bang whenever I rolled over during the night, waking me and the people in the rooms next to me!

I have stayed in other Hostelling International affiliated places and never suffered the poor sleep I did at DC. Very disappointing.

TLDR; The building shakes like a washing machine making restful sleep a challenge. Stay away.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, stay away from the top floors where the shaking will be more pronounced.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank PerthBoy2014
PerthBoy2014: Thank you for discussing your time with us at HI-DC. I am glad to read that the HI-DC team made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed our activities.

Yes, the vibrations you felt are an issue in one of our guestrooms. I am so sorry that you had to experience that. We have a motor on our roof that supplies water to the building, and its housing came slightly loose, which has resulted in a slight vibration. We have our supplier coming in to fix it, and it should be done in a couple of days. The noisy climate control unit is something I will have to investigate. I didn't know about that, so thank you for bringiong it to my attention.

I will send you a private message to let you know how much I appreciate you telling us about the issues you experienced. This is the way we get better. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I'm a college student from L.A. and I was in DC for a medical conference. I must say this place was completely terrible. From the first moment I walked in, the staff was rude and they had a very bad attitude. Then, I go upstairs to the bathroom and there is throw up everywhere and guy who is passed out in a stall! I walked around the hostel to explore the place and I found many passed out people around the hostel (bathrooms, kitchen, TV room) all passed out. Not to mention the kitchen was just nasty and dirty. Everything was bearable EXCEPT that last day right before I left I was in the bathroom and I saw a cockroach running across the floor. I automatically left the place, I rented a room at the Holiday Inn for about $130 for my last night in DC. I will never stay here again! EVER! It was the worst experience of my life! I would much rather pay more money than pay $30/night for some terrible place like this one.

It had some PROS:
- GREAT LOCATION! I walked to the White House and back in less than 30 minutes!
- Near Metro
- Good Shopping!
- The man at BREAKFAST is great!
- Safe Area

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Chris870
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Chris870: I am truly sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay at HI-DC, but I want to thank you for your very insightful feedback, and for providing some context for what was good about your experience.

We did have a sick guest who was getting medical treatment, and that was probably the man whom you saw. I spoke to him, and my team and I helped him as he was having a reaction some medication. He is doing well now, though it was a bit of a challenge for everyone for about two (2) days.

As for other people sleeping in other parts of the hostel, we do discourage it. It happens sometimes if a person arrives early from a bus or flight and the room is not ready. However, once rooms are ready after check-out (at 11:00 AM), we ask any napping guests to make themselves comfortable in their rooms.

The bug is another story. Yikes! I will call our exterminator and have that addressed immediately. Thanks for the heads-up.

Again, my apologies that we did not deliver on the experience I know that we can provide. I will send you a personal note to check in with you. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We really liked this hostel. We stayed here for a week during the winter holidays. The employees are kind, helpful and cheerful. The breakfast was pretty great too: bagels, bread, jam, apples, cornflakes, juice, coffee,...

We stayed in a 10-bed mixed dorm. The beds were clean, the rooms were decent (although it was a little cold at night, but we asked for another blanket and got one without hesitation). There are quite big lockers where you can store your valuables in your room next to your bed ("bring your own lock"-style).

They had a certain activity almost every day and it often didn't cost anything, or just the metro-ride. Nice atmosphere, nice lounge and decent WIFI in public places. The showers were fairly decent as well. Clean, 2-in-1-shampoo-soap was available in dispensers and I never had to shower in cold water. Although the airco in the girls bathroom at our floor was fairly cold. As far as we know, there are 3 x 3 (male/female) showers on every floor.

Our room card stopped working every few days. I guess for security reasons. Just go back to the front desk and they'll bump it up again.

We would likely stay again at this place if it were ever needed again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bibsel
Bibsel: You really covered a lot of ground in your thorough -- and wonderful! -- review. Thanks for sharing your experiences and providing such good travel tips to Trip Advisor's readers! I have good news about the Wi-Fi. Since your visit, we finished our upgrade, and free Wi-Fi is now available throughout the hostel, and with vastly faster speeds. The key card issue is a kind of a pain. With all of the x-ray machines and other security measures throughout DC, the key cards get de-magnetized fairly regularly. Your advice to have them re-charged every couple of days is 100% right. Thanks, again! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager