“Great staff - extremely noisy”

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed in the Courtyard during the Inaguration - Even in this busy time the staff was very upbeat, helpful, and polite. Rooms were comfortable and clean. The noise, however, ruined my stay - not noisy neighbors, but street noise. As a previous reviewer noted the windows provide absolutely no sound insulation. You might just as well be sleeping on this busy street with the windows open. In this day and age and given that this is a Courtyard Hotel it is inexcusable that windows haven't been upgrades to provide proper insulation. Bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper like me. The bar/resturant staff was plesant, but the bar had unusually short hours (closed at 11) which seemed strange and not in the best interests of their guests as I frequently like a nightcap before going to my room. This hotel has a great location, and If they would bother to upgrade the windows I would be a regular. As it is now, I won't return.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you definately don't want a room facing the street
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael D
GstServiceManager, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your previous stay in our property. I apologize for the traffic noise and I will make sure to pass your comment to our team. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

This was my second trip to the Courtyard, and I was again pleased with my choice. The staff is friendly and capable. I ate in the attached restaurant, Nage's Bistro, for breakfast and dinner several times. I ate at the bar on one occasion and in the restaurant on several visits. It can get crowded as it seems a hot spot for the evening with a small but unique menu. I had oyster stew one night which was excellent. I enjoyed a fine Malbec with a burger at the bar another night. Overall, a very good restaurant. I had a king bed room for five nights, overlooking the Scott Park. It was not noisy and I liked the view. My only disappointment was the disappearance of the superb self service coffee machine that I enjoyed on my last visit. The hotel, as others have remarked, is superbly situated. Taxis are always available and walking in this neighborhood is recommended when the weather is good.

Room Tip: you can ask for a suite, which gives a separate sitting room. I've had a room before which look...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for staying with us once again. I will pass the great comment to our staff as well as Nage retsaurant. We are looking forward to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

For the price I do not think you can get a better location in DC. 4 blocks straight north of the White House on Scott Circle just 1 long block SE of DuPont Circle. No need for a car here. Walking distance to almost everything - or a cheap cab if you prefer. Our room was a smaller king with a view of the circle and it was fine for 2 of us. Other reviews have mentioned large sized rooms - so ask if you want one. Others have also mentioned street noise. We were on the 4th floor and yes there was noise - but it is the city so I expect nose. If you turn the fan on you wont hear any street noise at all. Windows can actually be opened which I liked. Bathroom was average size. Nice TV, no fridge or micro, but we did use the in room coffee. Bed was really comfy. Front dest service was excellent and quick. Doorman flagged down cabs for us (airport and theater trips) and was very friendly. We at dinner in Nage which was just ok. Service was friendly but the two person tab was $$$. Food was just so so . Free coffee and tea in the meeting room in the morning - which we took advantage of on chilly mornings. I would stay here again - you pay big for loaction in DC. We were very satisfied with what this Courtyard offered.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side would have street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the nice comment about our staff especially our front desk team and our valet. I am glad that you find our property convenient to everything during your stay. We hope that you will provide us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

After reading mixed reviews about this property, I was pleasantly surprised. From check-in to checkout, the staff was wonderful. The property is clean and well maintained. Had a room on the 5th floor with a front view. The restaurant staff was friendly and the food was affordable and good (had breakfast and snack). The lobby has recently been renovated; I've added photos. I requested a late checkout and it wasn't an issue. The area is great, however there's a 3-4 block walk for public transportation. All and all it was a great stay. If I'm in the area again, we will definitely stay at this property.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Thank you for the wonderful comment regarding our staff. Our staff is certainly one of our best assets - we are delighted to help make your stay enjoyable and relaxing. We look forward for your next visit with us.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

My family and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott for three nights. The staff was great as they made suggestions on where to eat as well as how to get to the nearest Metro stations. Our room had two queen beds and a pull out sofa. This was a big enough room for my family as we did not feel closed in at all.

The two nearest Metro stations are about a 10-15 minute walk (Farragat North-Red Line or McPherson Square-Orange & Blue Line). Restaurants are nearby on Connecticut Avenue which can also be a 10-15 minute walk depending on what you select.

We did have breakfast at the Nage Bistro which is inside the Courtyard Marriott as we selected the free breakfast option. There was enough on the menu for breakfast as my kids did not complain.

Overall, we had a very good expereince staying at this Courtyard Marriott.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family make sure you reserve the rooms with the queen beds and pull o...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JoelM998

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for the great comment regarding our team and I am glad that we delivered a good service and a good experience to you and your family. We are looking forward to serve you again in the future. Thank you once again..

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My family and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott for three nights. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We had a minor hiccup when we arrived with the room (tried to put my family of four in a room with only one king bed) but this was quickly resolved.

The room had two queen beds and a pull out couch. This was plenty of room for my family, we did not feel closed in at all. The bathroom is a bit tight, only one person can stand in the bathroom, vanity, closet area at one time. The beds were comfortable and pillows of typical Marriott quality.

I ate at the bistro downstairs one night. The staff was nice and the food great (lobster maccroni was AMAZING). The next morning, I went down for coffee and also had a great experience. Unfortunately after that, they closed the cafe in the mornings for renovations and only offered a sparce continental breakfast out of a conference room for $12.00. I decided to leave the hotel and get my java fix a couple of blocks away. It was more of a nusience than a real complaint.

I ended up spending a lot of time in the lobby in the evening after the children went to sleep and enjoyed the set up. The booths with the televisions was a nice touch. I actually brought down a bottle of wine one evening to enjoy while I studied and forgot a wine glass, the front desk manager actually went into the bistro and brought me a wine glass, once again showing that top-notch Marriott service.

Overall great experience!

Room Tip: Room 604 faces another building. Not a great view, but very little road noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Love2Go80
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Nice large rooms with plenty of outlets for recharging phones, laptops, etc. Free Wifi. Within walking distance (10 min) to the Dupont Circle Metro stop and easy to get a cab from the Hotel. Great for a Washington trip. A minor negative is that the cable TV doesn't have comedy central.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business