“The Staff Make this a great hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #36 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Florida
“The Staff Make this a great hotel”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

There was nothing like being welcomed by Tiara Thompson when we walked into the lobby. Even thought it had been a few months since we last stayed, she remembered our faces and greeted us like old friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had opted to stay at other hotels in DC for location convenience for my business affairs but this time had more location freedom. I am very pleased I selected this hotel. I

It has a euro-modern feel to the lobby and first floor amenities that is unusual for a Marriott. - this grabs you as soon as you enter, along with the great eye contact and respectful, attentive greeting you receive when entering the hotel. More than any hotel I have visited in DC save for one five star property, the front desk and lobby staff here is the most consistent and genuinely positive and helpful. I am sorry I did not get names but I will be back again.

Room was comfortable. I think they could be upgraded a tad more for fluency with the rest of the hotel. Perhaps the great service is due to the hotel's proximity to Embassy Row and all that comes with it. Regardless, this hotel's exemplary service should be modeled by other Marriotts in the city.

Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I only stayed for 1 night but the hotel was great. Location is close to all the DC has to offer. the service when I checked in and out was fast and friendly. The room was well appointed, fresh and well maintained. I hope I get the chance to return to this hotel.

1 Thank anonymous-john
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I found this hotel accidentally during business Travel and have been back twice. It is a real gem with the most unbelievable and helpful front deskt staff in all of Washington. The rooms are sizable and typical Marriott courtyard style. The lobby restaurant is a local Mediterranean-style eclectic yet elegant with an extensive selection of specialty beers and wines. The service was great, there's Starbucks coffee in the morning, and A nice selection of breakfast treats. The location of the hotel is perfect for all sites in downtown Washington. It's close to the metro, easy walking distance to the museums andWhite, House and a short block from the downtown car rental location for travelers that need to reach locations in the region or the suburbs away from the metro stops. The National Geographic offices and museum are just behind the hotel and a great diversion for individuals with a few hours to spend or family members. All in all a great stay. I thought the hotel represented a great value in downtown Washington DC. I will certainly be back

Room Tip: The rooms are soundproofed fairly well. Higher floors away from the circle seem to be the quietest r...
1 Thank Cards-fan109
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We are return time and time again to the Embassy Row Courtyard because of the incredible staff...beginning with the enthusiastic greeting from Tiara Thompson. It seems like she, along with her two concierge cohorts work 24/7. Thanks for hailing our cabs, giving us popcorn and super room locations. Inspiring service!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank buttaggi1
Tennessee
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This Courtyard hits all the marks for business travel to Washington. The location on Scott Park means you are in striking distance for many of the agencies and associations that call Washington home.
The restaurant and bar are a step up from what I have seen in other Courtyards. They offer food and drink that you enjoy wholly rather than grudgingly, as can be the case with other locations.
What got me the most was the incredibly friendly staff. Marriott trains their staff to be cheerful, but this crew went above and beyond. From the older bellman who stood in the rain to hail a cab, to the morning servers in the restaurant, to the desk crew, EVERY staff member I saw was cheerful, helpful and (most importantly) sincere.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Worst hotel stay ever.

I was woken up at 5 a.m. by the shift manager who was pounding on my door. She told me a nearby room had smelled smoke and accused me of smoking. (I was not--I was fast asleep, and I'm not even a smoker.) She refused to leave until I allowed her to inspect the room.

Needless to say, I went to my business meeting later that morning under-rested and agitated. When I returned to the hotel later that day, the assistant manager apologized profusely for the disturbance and unfounded accusations. He promised to refund my credit card for the night's stay since I had prepaid for the room.

Now, almost two weeks later, I still have not received the refund, and the manager will not return my calls.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business