“Not recommended for Gold/Platinum Marriott members”

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Detroit, Michigan
“Not recommended for Gold/Platinum Marriott members”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The restaurant in the hotel is operated independently and I was told that Gold/Platinum Marriott members do not have access to free breakfast (which is one of the key perks for the Marriott awards program). Interestingly, you can buy a hotel rate with breakfast but you cannot be upgraded. In other Marriotts if the free breakfast is not offered you receive points. Not in this hotel. As mentioned in other reviews the restaurant in the hotel is on a more expensive side even for DC and there are not much other food options available in the vicinity. As I am travelling with the three kids if I knew this in advance I would stay somewhere else. No room upgrade available either and the noise issue is quite significant.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanna T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Hebrew first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I would definitely stay here if traveling on business in the Embassy Row area.
On this trip, I stayed at this location over Spring Break Trip with pre-teen son.
Pros: Very friendly staff and very clean rooms, free and strong Wifi signal, indoor pool, and location 4 blocks from Metro and Open Top Bus Tour route, and a 15-minute cab ride to Union Station.
Cons: Restaurant Nobi, is very good, but with a limited dinner menu and on the pricey side even for DC. Pub across the street was the only other restaurant within 2 blocks that was open for dinner. Noise was an issue - we stayed in room 411 facing the traffic circle. Sounds of traffic and the doorman's whistle at 7am were expected; however, there was an intermittent sound of metal banging on metal throughout the night. On the morning of my departure, I realized that the noise was the sound of the flag pole mounted to the side of the building that shifting whenever there was a gust of wind. I advised the staff and hope they correct the problem, I'm a heavy sleeper, but this was enough to wake me at 4:30 a.m.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of this hotel are subject to light traffic noise. If in room 411, you may hear th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The location of this Courtyard is fantastic. The quality is predictable as most Courtyard properties are. What sets this one part for me though is the staff. The front desk staff is courteous and helpful. It is always nice to be welcomed back, and have it feel like they mean it ! Solomon T and the rest of the day crew go out of their way to recognize you and make you feel welcome. Definitely going to return here.

2 Thank dwbartel
Delaware
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've become a big fan of Courtyards. The results have become predictable. This did not disappoint. Booking was a breeze, my key was ready upon arrival (without fuss) and the front desk was incredibly friendly and helpful. On the way out, they were equally helpful and friendly.

Room: Great
Clean/Space/Decor: Great
Wireless: Free and fast
Location: Close to everything, by cab
Stay again: Absolutely

Room Tip: Corner room was huge
1 Thank TravelDelaware
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I arranged a large gathering in DC last June and selected Courtyard Embassy Row as our "home" hotel. They gave us a special room rate for a block or 20+ rooms, along with a lovely continental breakfast and a knockout staff.

Yesterday I had business in DC so booked a night online and told my meeting partner to book there as well. When I walked in to the hotel after a walk the familiar staff was there and a year later remembered me. Now, if I were to stay every couple of months I would expect them to remember me, but not one lengthy stay in a year. The new folks were equally as friendly, but it was the warm reception I got from Tiara, who helped us last year, that made it feel like home. Just an unbelievable staff and perfect location. Clean and well kept rooms although some could use a bit of updating and I understand they're in the process. My go to hotel in DC!

Room Tip: Street traffic can be noisy, so ask for upper level floors or away from the street. I carry ear plu...
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Things I liked:
- Great customer service. Very quick check in and check out with a smile. They were happy to tell me about things to see around and how to get there. Also, I had an issue with the first room I got, so they sent someone to give me the key to a different room straight away.
- Central location.
- Free wi-fi
- Very nice lobby with computers and printers. I could print my boarding passes ahead of time which saved some hassle at the airport.
- Comfy bed
- Specious rooms
- My room was quiet, can’t speak for all of them.
- AAA and government discounts which unfortunately not all of the hotels in the area offer.

Things I didn’t like:
- The rooms are very outdated and showing age. I thought it was at the point where I know the room was clean but it doesn’t quite feel like it because the furniture and carpets were so old.
- I ordered room service from the restaurant of the hotel and while the room service itself was fast and with a smile, the food was average. I got a burger and usually you can’t go wrong there but this one was probably one of the worst ones that I had from a restaurant. So, avoid the restaurant/room service would be my suggestion.
- Pricy for the outdated room you get but it’s all about the location and all of the hotels in the area are about the same price or higher. If you’re prepared to pay more, I think you could find nicer rooms in other hotels in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
asheville
Reviewed 22 February 2014

top to bottom, fantastic hotel. Great value, great location, wonderful restaurant in the lobby, and one of the most courteous, friendly staff we've had in the last year of business travel. They were truly wonderful. I almost never post to TripAdvisor but I couldn't let the opportunity pass to compliment this exceptional hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
GstServiceManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Courtyard Embassy Row for your recent business travel to DC. We are thrilled that you had a wonderful experience at our property. We would especially like to thank you for your complements regarding our staff. We truly believe that our staff is our best asset, and we are always excited to pass along the complements we get from our guests.

We hope that you think of us when planning your next trip to DC. It would be an honor to serve you again in the near future.

The Courtyard Embassy Row Team