“Courtyard Washington Embassy Row” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #32 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Cincinnati, OH
“Courtyard Washington Embassy Row”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I thought this was a great hotel for business. It is a little pricey - I paid $239 per night which seems extreme for a Courtyard, but all hotels in DC during the week are as expensive. I travel 25+ nights per year for work and this was a great experience. It is about a 10 minute walk to Dupont Circle where you can catch the metro. Many great restaurants around the area and the neighborhood itslef is very nice. A lot of embassies are in beautiful old buildings in this part of town.

The hotel itself is in one of these old buildings, but it has been nicely updated. My room was a little small, but it had a great view of Scott Circle. It was nicely appointed. Try and get a room with a view. As an elite Marriott Rewards member I didn't have a problem, but I heard others not like their room because it had a view of a brick wall.

The room has a flat screen tv with a 25 or so cable channels. The bed is very nice and comfortable. Bathroom is a little small but nicely decorated with mable and brass. Plenty of room in the closet for several suits.

The workout room is one of the larger I've seen in a Courtyard and has brand new equipment and free weights. There is also a poll and hot tub as well.

The business center is too small for this hotel. Only 2 computers and it's not seperated from the lobby, which could be distracting.

The hotel restaurant, Nage, is very nice. A little pricey, but very good.

Staff is very welcoming and accomodating. If you have any questions about the metro, getting around DC or need help with a cab, they're the people to see.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank lesmitchell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Hebrew first
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed here for several nights during the week as a result of a priceline bid. When I checked in - early in the day, I asked if it was possible to have a room on the front, and I was told by the young man checking me in - immediately and emphatically "no", there was no room because they were "sold out". Given that this was only 2:30 pm, I find it hard to believe that the young man behind the desk couldn't accomodate my request, as most folks would not have arrived yet. About 1/3 of the rooms appear to face the alley - so I assume the Priceline or other "bidders" are placed on the back alley rooms - however I was given THE WORST room in the hotel: Room 301. The window is just big enough to jump out of in an emergency, but allowed no natural light. So even if you were in the room in the middle of a bright and sunny day, you had to have all of the lights on in the room. See attached pictures to see what I mean. I'm sure 401, 501, 601 etc. are all the same

This hotel is an old building, but has had a facelift. My room was clean and nicely furnished, with large TV - and free wired/wireless internet. It is located on Scott Circle, and the nearest metro, restaurants, stores etc are a 10 to 15 minute walk. There is one upscale resaurant in the hotel, but I didn't eat there. It looks ok.

As a result of aged building, the hotel is not very soundproof, and the toilets, elevators, ice machines, stairwell doors all make a lot of noise, so bring your earplugs!! I wasn't near the elevator and could still hear it.

The guys at the door are fantastic - always want to help, as are the girls at the desk, however the young man who works at the desk and in the office does not seem very enthusiastic or customer oriented.

Anyway - for $77 that I paid on priceline, I guess I can't complain, but if I paid the $239 they wanted on the Marriott website or Expedia, I would have been extremely dissatisfied with my room - but then again had I paid full price, I probably would have got the room with the picture window looking out at the circle!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

First, I want to say we went for July 4th weekend. This hotel was so cheap at $77/nt when you book 4+nts. How awesome is that?
Second, you are within walking distance from EVERYTHING. 5 blocks from White House and 3 blocks from Dupont Circle for dining and entertainment.

Pros: Front desk is amazingly friendly and helpful. They may looked a bit tired, but they still serviced with a smile.
They had cookies for us on July 4th.
They have a huge coffee machine.
They have fast elevators.
Rooms are comfy. Nothing special though.
Bathroom products are Eco-friendly which is cool.

Cons: It's a busy hotel, but expected since it was July 4th.
They have the smallest driveway I've ever seen; can barely fit 3 cars in the drop-off/check guests area.
Parking is $28 per day. We ended up parking at PMI parking garage a block over to save $8/day.
I left my purse in a cab. Has really nothing to do with the hotel, but just wanna say that I did tell front desk that if the taxi driver came back with it to let me know. They were sympathetic and happy to oblige. :)

This was a very nice stay to say the least. By the way I did get my purse back with everything in it! Thanks so much for the best cabbie in the world!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

"I almost want to go back to The Renaissance Mayflower." That's what I was thinking upon arrival at this hotel. On the 4th floor, upon exiting the elevator we were bombarded by an overpowering chemical odor, but we trudged through it to our room hoping it would be better and that we wouldn't die by the time we arrived in it.

It was worse in our room, so I went downstairs to request and inspect the new room before sending my family there. The new room was accomodated with no problem, just an explanation of why was all I needed. The second floor did not smell at all like the fourth floor did. The room was fine, and better lit than the Mayflower. It was no-frills and business like.

The restaurant had weird hours. I can't get breakfast after 9am? Not everyone wakes up early in DC! I wanted to sleep in, and had to explore the city to find breakfast. The front desk staff did not seem knowledgable about the local surroundings. The Mayflowers staff was (see that review).

Ants along the window!!! Reported to front desk, and they ignored it. Nothing was done.

Well, we left out a soda can on the desk, and an apple core in the waste basket and upon returning the ants had found their way to both. That's a long trek, including in our luggage and our bed. No thanks. Not fun.

We came home another night to a smoke filled room, so called the front desk and they offered to move us to another room. If I wanted to move every night to another place, and have smoke traveling through the ventilation system from the room next door I would have stayed in a hostel.

The valet, and bellhops provided good service.

I would try other hotels before staying here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

Our room was too small for 2 adults. One person would probably be comfortable in it. We did not try the $12.95 breakfast buffet and so cannot comment. Staff was quick to respond to a request for an extra blanket. The room was quiet and the bed was decent. One of the electrical outlets would work only if the prongs on the cords were left exposed.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

This hotel is on Scott Circle (just blocks from Dupont Circle) and is NEW and CLEAN. It felt like it was just built. Clean, comfortable room with free wireless internet and free coffee. The hotel has a restaurant and bar inside. Bar was fun with friendly, outgoing bartenders and awesome drinks! Restaurant food was good. A little pricey though! But, that's normal in most hotel restaurants. Front desk staff always were smiling and bellhop was friendly. Front desk staff were knowledgeable about the area and offered up some great suggestions for things to do nearby. I would DEFINATELY stay here again when I am in DC again.

Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank scott60606
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

The hotel is in a good location right on Scott Circle NW. In the mornings I would walk 5-10 min to the Farragut North metro station. There are eateries and shops along the way. In the evenings I would get off at the Dupont Circle station and walk 15 min back to the hotel. I always felt safe walking in the neighborhood whether in the daytime or nighttime. (It's better to take the Farragut North train towards Glenmont in the morning rush hour because a lot of business people get off at Farragut North.)

As for the hotel, everything was pretty good. My room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was clean and the shower had good water pressure and temperature. I lucked out with a room at the front of the hotel facing the Australian embassy. My room had sliding doors that opened up to a balcony railing. (There was no balcony, just the railing.) The only problems with my room were: I had a tough time with the sliding doors. Once I opened them, I had a trouble closing them. And the A/C did not kick start right away. It made me question myself whether I was programming it correctly. Eventually it did start and I didn't have trouble after that.

I was surprised the Courtyard did not have it's usual breakfast buffet. They only had a sit-down restaurant. I got the All-American which was pretty standard. OJ at $3 seemed a little pricey. There are plenty of places in DC to grab breakfast though. In the afternoon, the front desk offers warm cookies. What's nice is that they are covered so no flies!

The library was really nicely decorated and had two computer terminals. However, I used the free wireless in my room and it worked fine throughout my stay. Parking is expensive ($28) but cheaper than other hotels. If you need to drive, there are zipcars across the street on Bataan St NW and an Avis rental nearby on M St NW.

The only overall issue I had with the hotel was that the front desk staff could be more outgoing. They were friendly when you asked them questions but no one went out of their way to address you. I was never greeted. They will only talk to you if you talk first. The only person that asked if I needed help was the valet. He was was in the lobby while I wandered around looking for the bathroom on the first floor.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business