“Great Hotel”

Ranked #101 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
South Jordan, Utah
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was a great choice for our family of 5. The room was large and spacious which is hard to find in the DC Area. The 2 bathrooms made getting ready for the day much easier and faster with 3 teenage girls. Breakfast was provided each day. The morning staff was wonderful and the food was plentiful. It is a bit of a walk to the DC area, but we mostly took cabs so this wasn't a problem. The only problem we ran into was the lack of hotel parking for the one day we rented a car, which happened to be on a busy Saturday in the spring. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tricia V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Washington State
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a great location on the edge of Georgetown. When you go outside the neighborhood is full of energy with cute restaurants and cafes everywhere. It is close to lots of Embassies and there is a Safeway Grocery on Cocoran Street within easy walking distance (10 - 15 mins).

My studio room is on the top floor looking out over roof-top decks and interesting roof shapes. I love it. However, most of the rooms in this hotel probably have rather depressing views of other buildings. The downside of being on the top floor is the noise of the air-conditioning. I turn it off on a regular basis just to get relief from the noise. The frig also makes strange noises but not all the time.

Despite the noise of the frig I would not trade the convenience of having my own kitchen. I have been eating out for a couple of weeks so it is great to be able to prepare my own food when I want. That said, the kitchen has no oven and only two burners. It works fine for me but might be difficult for a family

My studio room is nicely decorated and I am very comfortable. The lobby and dining area are also nicely decorated. However, there is no getting around that the lobby is small and pokey and that the dining area is depressing with no windows. I wonder if it would be possible to put a few chairs outside the front door since there is no outdoor space whatsoever? I stayed at the Marriott by Dulles airport and they had a lovely seating area outside their front door. Maybe it would be possible to put in a roof garden or get some space at the back of the hotel. If this hotel had some nice outdoor seating and windows in the dining area I would give it a 5.

The staff are exceptional. I particular admired the kitchen staff - always smiling and helpful. The cook is so cheerful that he would cheer anybody up. The food isn't bad although I am getting very tired of scrambed eggs. Still - I should not complain about a free breakfast.

For those of you you who like to walk it is easy to get to Rock Creek Trail from this hotel. I took the trail down to the Lincoln Memorial and to the path along the Georgetown canal - very enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KerryBorn
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is an affordable serviced apartment - an all in one bedroom, lounge and kitchenette. Everything is fine except the air conditioning which is too noisy to have on. Fortunately, it was not needed. The staff are very polite and helpful. For some odd reason, the lifts are a bit smelly but the reception and coffee area smells great - like a cinnamon bun. The room was odourless and clean. The location is marvellous. All the life of Dupont Circle right there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim M
australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and the hotel and its services and staff were outstanding. The location is excellent, just off Dupont Circle and a short walk to the Metro. The rooms were very spacious, the breakfast was more than adequate . The availability of a guest laundry was very welcome after travelling for several weeks. Highly recommended as a base for exploring Washington DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room and not at the back - the lower rooms area bit too close to the trash bins and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shelly16a
Where the Army Sends Us
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We visited DC for a long weekend during the beginning of May with our 3 small children and had a wonderful stay. We booked a one-bedroom suite and had plenty of room. The rooms were very well laid out and every piece of furniture was well thought out and really utilized the space. We LOVE having a kitchenette when we travel with our crew, so we used that quite a bit. Plus, we scheduled grocery delivery from Safeway (worth.every.penny) the night we arrived as there is not a real grocery store within walking distance of the hotel. The Metro was very convenient and there were plenty of places to eat in the area. We didn't have a car, so we flew into Reagan National, caught the Metro and took it easily to our hotel. This is on our short list of hotels to stay at when we come back to the city to visit family. Thanks!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank loconnor0526
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A group of us booked the two bedroom suite in April. You could not ask for a more centralized location for that part of town. We walked everywhere and it is very close to the Metro. Lots of places to eat and visit close by. Breakfast was complimentary which is a plus and was standard Marriott fare. While our room suited our needs, it was not up to the standard I'm used to as a frequent guest at the Marriott chain. As soon as you walked in the door, there was a mildewy smell as if the rug had been soaked and not properly cleaned. The TV remote in one room did not work and the bedside reading lamp would not shut off. Ya think Housekeeping would check these things before turning over rooms? Eventually, both got fixed. Would I stay here again? Yes, for the location and if I needed a two bedroom, a hard type room to find in DC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mare1208
JoseGallegos, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, Dc/Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Good afternoon Mare 1208,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Our entire staff takes great pride in our hotel as we strive to make sure every guest experience is superb. I was saddened to hear that we fell short of your expectations, as we are not used to getting less than pleasant feedback for our property.

Our entire leadership team has reviewed your comments and have taken the required steps to make sure future guests do not have the same experience.

We truly look forward to hosting you and your family again when you return the D.C. metro area!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 May 2014

While not my first choice in DC, I have stayed here before to average results. However, this time both the service and room had been greatly improved. The redo of the lobby and rooms are quite nice, though both are still quite small. The staff was very helpful in general, although not helpful at all when it came to getting a taxi. You are on your own if you need a cab (which most days is not an issue, but one day it was for me). Very nice welcome at check-in for elite members. Breakfast is fine, but the fruit was better than average for March. Its still not my first choice to stay in DC, but it is much better than several other Marriot choices in DC and I would stay for the great location as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business